Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Articles > Articles: Honda FireBlade » Lowering The Ride Height On My 900RR

Articles: Honda FireBlade Articles related to the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2010, 7:07 AM   #16

Reputation Power: 20
ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of
Re: Lowering The Ride Height On My 900RR

It is nice to see somebody lower themselves on the bike instead of lowering the bike to the ground. My guess is that you would eventually have learned to adjust to the higher seat, but if you feel more confident with a lower one, then well worth the effort.

With the lower seat, how does your riding position feel?
ghbzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-13-2010, 9:08 AM   #17
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 139
LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to LoopyLee Send a message via Skype™ to LoopyLee

Originally Posted by ghbzorro View Post
It is nice to see somebody lower themselves on the bike instead of lowering the bike to the ground.
Thanks ghbzorro.. I know you can't slim down the seats on some bikes as the seat pad is too thin or built weirdly, like the one on my 400, but I really can't see the point in lowering a bike if the foam can be reshaped or the rider can buy boots which will raise them up a bit.. I personally feel lowering bikes must affect the handling, they are designed the way they are for a reason, plus unless you are able to put it back to stock I'm sure it affects the resale values..

My guess is that you would eventually have learned to adjust to the higher seat, but if you feel more confident with a lower one, then well worth the effort.
I reckon the same but even on my short ride last weekend I was worrying about stopping and missing the ground and falling over.. I still have the stock seat off the bike as I nicked to surplus one from SSB's fighter project to cut down, so I could always try the stock seat later on once I'm used to the bike to see how I get on, plus it means I'll have a stock seat to put back on if it's ever sold, not that thats likely to happen..
With the lower seat, how does your riding position feel?
I don't know yet.. The original cover wouldn't go on properly/neatly with the reshaped foam and today is the first chance I've had to get into town to buy some vinyl to recover it with.. I'm putting that on at the moment

Blade Rider

LoopyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 9:11 AM   #18
Global Moderator

LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdugen View Post
Its probably a bit more engineering than you want to do, but, a Y2K seat unit is much narrower at the front and allows more room to get your feet down.
It means a new rider seat, plastics and light lens, but is an easy, if time consuming job to do. (Makes the podgy back end look much more svelte though).
Thanks for the thought jdugen but I like her podgy back end

Blade Rider

Old 03-13-2010, 9:24 AM   #19
Crystal clear

Reputation Power: 175
sidmarklong has a reputation beyond repute sidmarklong has a reputation beyond repute sidmarklong has a reputation beyond repute sidmarklong has a reputation beyond repute sidmarklong has a reputation beyond repute sidmarklong has a reputation beyond repute sidmarklong has a reputation beyond repute sidmarklong has a reputation beyond repute sidmarklong has a reputation beyond repute sidmarklong has a reputation beyond repute sidmarklong has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a smart move to trim a seat, rather than lower the bike through changing the suspension. Snake skin, Sheep skin, Cow hide, and in a color of your preference.
No Butt removal recommended. Probably cause more problems with infection, as most of the items of sharpness/bluntness, are rusty in that general area.
If you don't stand for something, then you'll fall for anything. The proverbial "trick", is not to follow anyone elses idea of reality. Be an individual. The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
sidmarklong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 6:06 AM   #20
Global Moderator

The final photos

The original cover wouldn't fit back on the seat properly due to the shaping so I popped into town on Saturday and bought myself a length of vinyl fabric.. It cost me 7.. That and the staple gun we already had meant I was all ready to go

It was a bit fiddly fitting the vinyl to the seat, as it's quite stiff to start with, and I wanted the seat to be as smooth as possible with no 'crinkles' of fabric round the edges. I decided to fit the fabric on the bias as the vinyl would be more stretchy doing it that way and hopefully it would go round the new curves of the seat better.

Once I started working the vinyl it did start to give nicely and taking my time and replacing staples as necessary to tighten the cover up it was done..

This is the end result..

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Seat 1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	431.1 KB
ID:	41416 Click image for larger version

Name:	New Seat 2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	361.5 KB
ID:	41417

All in all I'm very happy with the end result.. It cost me the spare seat* we already had and 7 for the fabric plus a bit of my time and I can pretty much flat foot on the bike now

* I checked ebay and if needed I could have bought a seat for about 15 - 25 if I had needed one

Blade Rider

Old 03-17-2010, 6:20 AM   #21
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 250
macca9540 has a reputation beyond repute macca9540 has a reputation beyond repute macca9540 has a reputation beyond repute macca9540 has a reputation beyond repute macca9540 has a reputation beyond repute macca9540 has a reputation beyond repute macca9540 has a reputation beyond repute macca9540 has a reputation beyond repute macca9540 has a reputation beyond repute macca9540 has a reputation beyond repute macca9540 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to macca9540

Nice job.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
macca9540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 6:30 AM   #22
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by macca9540 View Post
Nice job.
Thanks Macca

Blade Rider

Old 03-17-2010, 6:38 AM   #23
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 250
macca9540 has a reputation beyond repute macca9540 has a reputation beyond repute macca9540 has a reputation beyond repute macca9540 has a reputation beyond repute macca9540 has a reputation beyond repute macca9540 has a reputation beyond repute macca9540 has a reputation beyond repute macca9540 has a reputation beyond repute macca9540 has a reputation beyond repute macca9540 has a reputation beyond repute macca9540 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to macca9540

It might grow a few teeth on a long distance run , like we did to P.I. but as long as you can ride safely is the main thing.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
macca9540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 6:43 AM   #24
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by macca9540 View Post
It might grow a few teeth on a long distance run , like we did to P.I. but as long as you can ride safely is the main thing.
I'll have to wait and see.. The good thing is that my bum is used to the thin pad on the 400, so this one is gonna feel like an armchair in comparison

Blade Rider

Old 03-21-2010, 10:49 PM   #25

Reputation Power: 7
derf is on a distinguished road

Comort wise, how did it improve the bike? Is it more or less comfy when you are just riding?
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 3:20 AM   #26
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by derf View Post
Comort wise, how did it improve the bike? Is it more or less comfy when you are just riding?
Hi Derf.. It didn't make any difference to me at all as far as I could tell. I did only go out on the original seat once though and it wasn't far, but I had a longer run yesterday, including a blat up the motorway and it seemed just fine

Blade Rider

Old 03-22-2010, 5:21 AM   #27

Reputation Power: 17
exblader has much to be proud of exblader has much to be proud of exblader has much to be proud of exblader has much to be proud of exblader has much to be proud of exblader has much to be proud of exblader has much to be proud of exblader has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to exblader

Hey Loopy,excellent job done on the seat,
exblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #28
Global Moderator

Thanks ExBlader

Blade Rider

Old 05-14-2010, 2:11 AM   #29

Reputation Power: 8
MT Wallet is on a distinguished road

Yes my '93 feels like it was built around my body.

Honestly, I don't know if I'll ever find another bike like this one.

Low speed, high speed, anything in between...the bike does it.
MT Wallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 8:00 PM   #30

Reputation Power: 0
runlevelfour will become famous soon enough

Loopy I could have saved you a lot of time and effort. Two words: Platform Shoes.
runlevelfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Articles > Articles: Honda FireBlade

Search tags for this page
adjusting ride height on motorcycle
cbr929rr ride height setup

cbr929rr shaved seat

how to adjust ride height on a cbr 900 rr

how to adjust ride height on my motorcycle

how to adjust the ride height of a 1993 cbr 900rr

how to lower a cbr 900rr

how to lower a motorcycle seat height
how to lower the ride height of my honda cbr
lowering 900rr

lowering seat height motorcycle

shaving bike seat fireblade memory foam
Click on a term to search for related topics.