Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Drag racing tips

16K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  knip 
#1 ·
Hey all...
I have a friend that has a pickup truck that runs high 10's to low 11's in the 1/4...well one thing led to another and we now have a matchup set for next Friday at the 'streetraces' at our local dragstrip. I'm still getting used to the 954 any suggestions as to not looping it or performing any other embarrassing moves? I know I can take him and will demand he make the first pass off the bottle, but I am kinda freaked about launching. Fwiw, I know he has traction problems lauching so maybe the launch isn't so important other than he is running in the 10's with a vehicle with the aerodynamics of an apartment building. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks.

J

#2 ·
when freaked about launch just rev to eleven grand! i bet it moves. kidding watch the tree keep forward over your tank and open it up if all you see is sky ease up on the throttle. good luck and hope you don't wack your bike over a i can go faster than you pissing contest . ever done a quarter mile before?

#3 ·
Tie the front end down and it will help to stop the bike from wheelying. or even stiffen up your rebound settings, to slow the upward motion.
If his truck runs high tens, you are going to have problems beating him without some launch practice, and even if you do, it will be in the top end

#4 ·
Hold it steady @ around 5-6000rpm with the clutch held a the point where you can just feel it taking up!, The clutch will be ur throttle for the first 20 or so yards then as the clutch is nearly fully disengaged progressively give it more throttle (just so long as the front isnt coming up to high) this is all done as smoothly as possible. another small thing that may help is if you can get an extra link for your chain (you will also need an extra joiner link) so you can slide the rear axle back as far as possible to help keep the front down

#7 ·
Thanks Zeeman, Ive only drag raced once on my RGV, But have raced a little bit of moto cross and speedway and managed to get the holeshot about 80-90% of the time so starts were definately my strongest point, Im not sure if they still have the drags at eastern creek on every second wednesday night but if they do I wouldnt mind taking the blade out there sometime to see what it can do?

#10 ·
Jungleboy : Thanks Zeeman, Ive only drag raced once on my RGV, But have raced a little bit of moto cross and speedway and managed to get the holeshot about 80-90% of the time so starts were definately my strongest point, Im not sure if they still have the drags at eastern creek on every second wednesday night but if they do I wouldnt mind taking the blade out there sometime to see what it can do?
Yup - they still have the drags - I'll be taking my new bike out there once I get it and have it broken it, if you go any time soon lemme know, I'd love to see how it goes

And I have a good digital video camera

Z...

#15 ·
Turn your rear compression to full hard.  This should help the front end from raising as bad.   60 foot times is where the money is at!  Practice hard.  

I went last night to the local 1/8 mile.  Beat a new gixxer1k.  It only had 500 miles on it....and he was draggin it!  

#16 ·
If you have never run a 1/4 before.. get some practice. Maybe for some (most?) they don't get nervous or intimidated or feel a huge surge of adreneline.. but I sure did, and that was running 12 second cage.

Man.. 10 second pickup truck? He running slicks or talking out his ass? That is freaking FAST!!! FAST-FAST.

Waiting for the tree to go green was about as much adrenaline pumping fun as close-quarters paint-ball and flying airplanes. Careful.. you might get addicted to it!!!

#17 ·
nedro : Can't believe nobody has mentioned it. DO NOT wait for the green light. Go on the last yellow!!! You won't red light and will still be suprise at how long it took you to launch i.e. reaction time.
Damn. good point. Do they have the .480 redlight set for drudge matches like the do for pro races? If not then you should smoke then.

Then again, it all depsonds on the tree. Where I used to race (Baylands in Fremont) it was the two staging lights. then they all flashed yellow then GO!

I think I did redlight once but most of the time my recation time was withing the 2-3 second range..

#18 ·
The only other bit of advice i can offer besides the already great suggestions that other members have posted is, go to the strip once before your showdown with the truck. I havent taken my blade to the strip yet, but it seems that a lot
of people can pull off 10.80s with a day of practice at the strip. Lower the front with a strap, lower the rear with a link, and try going down 1 tooth on the front sprocket. these mods should total less than $170 and greatly improve the times. Show that dude who's boss!

#19 ·
WOW, this is great stuff, thanks again. At the local strip, Friday nights are 'streetracing' they don't use the tree or time the runs...just heads up racing. And yes a street truck that runs in the 10s with slicks and juice. I may put him off a week and spend some time practicing, never ran a bike in the 1/4..cages several times. How do you strap the front end down and does it effect handling? Will the rev limiter react quick enough in the event of a misshift? Just in case.
J

#20 ·
you might also want to get the rear psi down to about 28. If you take off correctly you can expect to be an inch or two off the ground; becareful, escpecially if you do not have a damper. Also, as mentioned before, get all your weight forward, and tuck down under the screen. Shifting while tucked is sometimes hard, so perhaps you should adjust the shift lever angle down. Finally, don't mess up on shift; a missed shift and all is lost. Most important of all, stay calm. Make sure to let us know how it turns out.

Good Luck and dont crash!

#23 ·
thanks chain i dated the one on the left. any way sounds like you got some solid advice fumb ducker heat your tires up real good to and when the front tire is on line pray you remember these things have a ball

#24 ·
you can locate some 929 trangles to lower the rear of a 954, in about 10 minutes.
leave on the last yellow
hold the tach at about 4 grand, on the friction point
if you wheelie too much short shift to second

#25 ·
They let bikes line up against cages?
I've never been to a strip that allowed that. Might want to check.

My bit.
Head forward, Lid closed, deep breaths,
Keep focused on the tree, DON'T look over at him
4 to 5K launch, feather the clutch
Go on the last yellow
After 1st, don't use the clutch to shift, blip the throttle
Not sure about the 54, but on the 929, it's best to shift at about 10k

Depending on your weight and how much gas you have in the tank, air in the tires, weather temp, phase of the moon, you should at LEAST do an 11.2

I was 190lb doing 10.99 consistently

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.