Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Electronics » Battery maintenance: Battery Tender or Noco?

Electronics Discussion of Motorcycle Related GPS, Audio, Video, Radar Detectors, Lap Timers, Communicators, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 3:13 PM   #1

Reputation Power: 0
FOGeologist will become famous soon enough FOGeologist will become famous soon enough
Battery maintenance: Battery Tender or Noco?

I've been told, "Get a battery tender."

I've found a the Deltran-branded "Battery Tender," which seems reasonable, and I've also seen a tender by Noco, which is highly advertised as having a number of impressive technologies for maintenance of charge on the battery.

If you have any feedback on the two brands - cost, functionality, support - I'd appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-02-2013, 4:26 PM   #2

Reputation Power: 50
52brandon has a reputation beyond repute 52brandon has a reputation beyond repute 52brandon has a reputation beyond repute 52brandon has a reputation beyond repute 52brandon has a reputation beyond repute 52brandon has a reputation beyond repute 52brandon has a reputation beyond repute 52brandon has a reputation beyond repute 52brandon has a reputation beyond repute 52brandon has a reputation beyond repute 52brandon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Battery maintenance: Battery Tender or Noco?

I've got a Battery MINDer and love it. It also desulfates the battery, which is supposed to be good for it, and it came with a free voltage tester which was cool
52brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 214
bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FOGeologist View Post
I've been told, "Get a battery tender."

I've found a the Deltran-branded "Battery Tender," which seems reasonable, and I've also seen a tender by Noco, which is highly advertised as having a number of impressive technologies for maintenance of charge on the battery.

If you have any feedback on the two brands - cost, functionality, support - I'd appreciate the feedback.

The best battery maintenance is to simply ride the bloody bike - isn't that what you bought it for?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #4

Reputation Power: 10
nyknick1015 is a name known to all nyknick1015 is a name known to all nyknick1015 is a name known to all nyknick1015 is a name known to all nyknick1015 is a name known to all nyknick1015 is a name known to all

battery tenders are a good thing to have incase your battery goes flat or gets low and needs a quick recharge! I dont keep my battery on the tender all winter but i keep it on for a while before i start to ride
nyknick1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 214
bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nyknick1015 View Post
battery tenders are a good thing to have incase your battery goes flat or gets low and needs a quick recharge! I dont keep my battery on the tender all winter but i keep it on for a while before i start to ride

Sure, everybody should have a battery charger even if only to help the neighbour when their car won't start :-)
But if you ride the bike every few days you shouldn't need any kind of "tender" or "maintainer".
If you're going to have extended downtime then I would probably charge the battery once a month just to keep it alive.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #6

Reputation Power: 23
Surteez has a brilliant future Surteez has a brilliant future Surteez has a brilliant future Surteez has a brilliant future Surteez has a brilliant future Surteez has a brilliant future Surteez has a brilliant future Surteez has a brilliant future Surteez has a brilliant future Surteez has a brilliant future Surteez has a brilliant future

What he said ^

I'll let you in on a little secret - there are these little things that help charge and recharge your bike battery whilst allowing you to have fun at the same time without locking your bike away in the shed - this magic piece of equipment is called an Alternator.

The voltage regulator controls current applied to the alternator. When there is no current applied to the field, there is no voltage produced from the alternator.

When voltage drops below 13.5, the regulator will apply current to the field and the alternator will start charging as if by magic
Old 01-03-2013, 1:04 AM   #7

Reputation Power: 54
Krazed has a reputation beyond repute Krazed has a reputation beyond repute Krazed has a reputation beyond repute Krazed has a reputation beyond repute Krazed has a reputation beyond repute Krazed has a reputation beyond repute Krazed has a reputation beyond repute Krazed has a reputation beyond repute Krazed has a reputation beyond repute Krazed has a reputation beyond repute Krazed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Sure, everybody should have a battery charger even if only to help the neighbour when their car won't start :-)
But if you ride the bike every few days you shouldn't need any kind of "tender" or "maintainer".
If you're going to have extended downtime then I would probably charge the battery once a month just to keep it alive.
Thing is, some of us have winters where you cant even move the bike! Couple feet of snow, and extreme temperature drops!

In my case, My bike is 800km away tucked safely in a friends garage. No battery tender, although I would have liked to. My battery survived its first winter with no tender period.
Old 01-03-2013, 1:18 AM   #8

Reputation Power: 23
Surteez has a brilliant future Surteez has a brilliant future Surteez has a brilliant future Surteez has a brilliant future Surteez has a brilliant future Surteez has a brilliant future Surteez has a brilliant future Surteez has a brilliant future Surteez has a brilliant future Surteez has a brilliant future Surteez has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Krazed View Post
Thing is, some of us have winters where you cant even move the bike! Couple feet of snow, and extreme temperature drops!

In my case, My bike is 800km away tucked safely in a friends garage. No battery tender, although I would have liked to. My battery survived its first winter with no tender period.
i know what you mean

But if you tuck your bike away for a long period of time wouldnt it be better to remove the battery and give it a full charge say once-a-month as opposed to trickle charging it over the period?
Old 01-03-2013, 1:26 AM   #9

FOGeologist will become famous soon enough FOGeologist will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
The best battery maintenance is to simply ride the bloody bike - isn't that what you bought it for?
I agree that it's the ultimate therapy.

Unfortunately, it's an impossibility in the -5 degree C weather we're having here, as our streets have literally 3" of ice permanently hammered onto the ground. You literally slip and slide like a madman just walking on the stuff.

COME ON, SUN! Break out with your holy goodness! Loosen winter's grasp on the land!
Old 01-03-2013, 2:11 AM   #10

Reputation Power: 40
noahb has a reputation beyond repute noahb has a reputation beyond repute noahb has a reputation beyond repute noahb has a reputation beyond repute noahb has a reputation beyond repute noahb has a reputation beyond repute noahb has a reputation beyond repute noahb has a reputation beyond repute noahb has a reputation beyond repute noahb has a reputation beyond repute noahb has a reputation beyond repute

thats very similar to the icebox im living in right now ^, ive got at least 5 inchs of snow on top of the ice and the temp isnt supposed to go above 30 for the next week or so..not the greatest bike season

Originally Posted by Surteez View Post
i know what you mean

But if you tuck your bike away for a long period of time wouldnt it be better to remove the battery and give it a full charge say once-a-month as opposed to trickle charging it over the period?
honestly, i like the idea of trickle charging it over the winter season. i dont leave it on day in and day out, so i guess we've got the same idea.. i just flip it on every other week for a few minutes until its stabilized or however long im out in the garage. ive had electrical problems in the past coming out of winter seasons but since ive hd my battery tender i havent had any issues at all, if anything its put my mind at ease for having one less thing to worry about haha
noahb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 2:08 PM   #11

52brandon has a reputation beyond repute 52brandon has a reputation beyond repute 52brandon has a reputation beyond repute 52brandon has a reputation beyond repute 52brandon has a reputation beyond repute 52brandon has a reputation beyond repute 52brandon has a reputation beyond repute 52brandon has a reputation beyond repute 52brandon has a reputation beyond repute 52brandon has a reputation beyond repute 52brandon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noahb View Post
honestly, i like the idea of trickle charging it over the winter season. i dont leave it on day in and day out, so i guess we've got the same idea.. i just flip it on every other week for a few minutes until its stabilized or however long im out in the garage. ive had electrical problems in the past coming out of winter seasons but since ive hd my battery tender i havent had any issues at all, if anything its put my mind at ease for having one less thing to worry about haha
I'm the same, but opposite. It's hot as **** in summer here, plus monsoon season makes riding suck. Not only does riding in the rain suck, but drivers are AWFUL here. Always tons of accidents. I plug in my battery minder though every time I finish riding. Has a quick plug that hangs out just below my seat that is impossible to see from normal angles
Old 01-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #12

Reputation Power: 109
Sky91 has a reputation beyond repute Sky91 has a reputation beyond repute Sky91 has a reputation beyond repute Sky91 has a reputation beyond repute Sky91 has a reputation beyond repute Sky91 has a reputation beyond repute Sky91 has a reputation beyond repute Sky91 has a reputation beyond repute Sky91 has a reputation beyond repute Sky91 has a reputation beyond repute Sky91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surteez View Post
Nope. Lead-acid batteries like to be FULLY charged. When the charge level drops, that's when sulfation comes into effect and reduces the efficiency and capacity of the battery. A good battery charger will not just top up the battery, but have a "float" mode on it as well which will keep the battery at optimum levels for storage.

One of my friends has the ORIGINAL battery in his 954, all through looking after it. If it's more than 3 days before the next ride, it goes on the battery tender. How many people have 10 year old batteries in their bikes? Not many.
Old 01-04-2013, 4:01 PM   #13

Originally Posted by Sky91 View Post
Nope. Lead-acid batteries like to be FULLY charged. When the charge level drops, that's when sulfation comes into effect and reduces the efficiency and capacity of the battery. A good battery charger will not just top up the battery, but have a "float" mode on it as well which will keep the battery at optimum levels for storage.

One of my friends has the ORIGINAL battery in his 954, all through looking after it. If it's more than 3 days before the next ride, it goes on the battery tender. How many people have 10 year old batteries in their bikes? Not many.
When I bought my 02 954 at the end of '11, it had the original battery still. It was fading, but still worked. I replaced it anyways, but yeah... in AZ, car batteries are lucky to make it 2-3 years
Old 01-14-2013, 3:38 PM   #14

JF954rr is on a distinguished road

I have a Yuasa charger, I like it better than the Battery Tenders. It's made by the same company that supplies the stock batteries to Honda so it's a perfect match.
JF954rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 5:06 PM   #15

Originally Posted by JF954rr View Post
I have a Yuasa charger, I like it better than the Battery Tenders. It's made by the same company that supplies the stock batteries to Honda so it's a perfect match.
I didn't know Yuasa made chargers. That's the only battery I will put in my bike. If I knew they made chargers, I'm sure I would have bought one. But I love the BatteryMINDer I have. Works great, dunno how well it actually desulfates, but I guess ignorance is bliss in that regard (when I do find out, it will be because it died...)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Electronics

Search tags for this page

battery tender vs noco

battery tender vs noco genius

battery tender vs nocogenus
noco battery tender
noco genius charger vs battery tender
noco genius charger vs deltran battery tender plus
noco genius vs battery minder

noco genius vs battery tender

noco genius vs batteryminder

noco vs battery tender

noco vs deltran
reput battry
Click on a term to search for related topics.