1998 Indicators flash too fast - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Electronics Discussion of Motorcycle Related GPS, Audio, Video, Radar Detectors, Lap Timers, Communicators, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-18-2017, 9:16 AM
nickfa11on

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1998 Indicators flash too fast

Hi All

Scratching my head with this one. All of a sudden, my indicators starting flashing too fast. Bulbs are okay so I figured that it must be the indicator relay. Bought one, fitted and still they flash too fast.

Anybody any ideas? Is something not earthed right? My Blade is '98 plate 929. Any info gratefully received.

Best,

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-18-2017, 9:57 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Re: 1998 Indicators flash too fast

Are they stock turn signals using incandescent bulbs?
post #3 of 4 Old 04-18-2017, 3:05 PM
nickfa11on

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Ian

They are standard. The plot does thicken though. I got a new indicator relay and installed it. No difference so I then examined the wires more closely and someone has meddled with them. There was one wire loose under the back seat. I reconnected the wire and left Indicators started blinking okay. The right ones are still flashing fast though. I suspect given the obvious cannibalisation that something else is loose. I shall investigate further.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-18-2017, 3:10 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

The relay is mechanical and uses load/resistance to flash. This is why when you put LED bulbs/turn signals in the relay doesn't flash normally. This is also why people put resistors in to equalize them. Sounds like a PO did hack work rather than quality work. You might want to see what else they hacked before it becomes an issue down the road...which could be tomorrow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page