Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion » Which bike to flip for profit?

General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 1:15 AM   #1

Reputation Power: 0
DacksClassics is on a distinguished road
Which bike to flip for profit?

Of the classic 70's Honda street bikes, which would have the best balance of availability on the market, economical and readily available parts, and sale-ability?

I'm wanting to modify and design some classic racers. Budget is not a concern, it's the profit margin.

My first instinct was the twin CB350. I'm just a little put off by the 1-piece connecting rods...
DacksClassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-23-2012, 2:12 AM   #2
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 210
bladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which bike to flip for profit?

Originally Posted by DacksClassics View Post
Of the classic 70's Honda street bikes, which would have the best balance of availability on the market, economical and readily available parts, and sale-ability?

I'm wanting to modify and design some classic racers. Budget is not a concern, it's the profit margin.

My first instinct was the twin CB350. I'm just a little put off by the 1-piece connecting rods...

That'll be fairly dependant on your specific locale I think.
You don't have a press to build the cranks?
Old 07-23-2012, 2:28 AM   #3

I am trying to decide between Houston and Dallas, myself.

I don't have any heavy equipment yet, just a friend willing to invest no more than $10,000.

I still dislike not doing things the way I always have, with two-piece rods...
Old 07-23-2012, 8:14 AM   #4

Am I wrong that 72 and later models do in fact use 2-piece connecting rods?
Old 07-23-2012, 8:17 AM   #5
Global Moderator

bladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond repute

Am I wrong that 72 and later models do in fact use 2-piece connecting rods?

Depends on the specific engine.
CB750 was shell bearings from '69, GSX1100 was ball bearings into the eighties. All two-strokes are pressed cranks and lots of singles are as well.
Old 07-23-2012, 8:32 AM   #6

In this context, we're referring to the CB/CL350 twin four-strokes...
Old 07-23-2012, 8:45 AM   #7
Global Moderator

In this context, we're referring to the CB/CL350 twin four-strokes...
They only made the CB350 to '73 so I doubt it.
CB/CJ360 twin is a pressed crank up to '77 I think.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #8

The only thing that makes me wary is the fact that I can't check the bearings, weight, and friction surfaces. I'm concerned that I would have to buy one used if mine shows too much runout or the bearings are worn, but then the replacement is just as bad.

The fours are loads of fun to work on, but finding parts for the 350F is a joke. Also, 750's had too many different configurations for me to be fully confident with them.

My worries aside, which would yield a greater profit, is widely available, and has reasonable and readily available parts?
Old 07-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
Global Moderator

The only thing that makes me wary is the fact that I can't check the bearings, weight, and friction surfaces. I'm concerned that I would have to buy one used if mine shows too much runout or the bearings are worn, but then the replacement is just as bad.

The fours are loads of fun to work on, but finding parts for the 350F is a joke. Also, 750's had too many different configurations for me to be fully confident with them.

My worries aside, which would yield a greater profit, is widely available, and has reasonable and readily available parts?

What do you mean you can't check those things?
If the bearings are worn you press the crank apart and fit new bearings.

There is no way to determine profit without knowing exactly what it is you're doing to it and what it might be worth when it's finished.
I'd be surprised if there's much profit in the old bikes and the potential market is likely to be small.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #10

Not quite. Euro Grand Prix racers (inaccurately and ignorantly called cafés) are currently picking up since the chopper fad has been played out.

Again, I have no means to press apart/together a pressed crank. I suppose my pal that lives in Garland could supply some cranks for $30 a piece.

Last edited by DacksClassics; 07-23-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Search tags for this page
best bikes to flip
best motorcycle to flip
best motorcycles to flip
flip motorcycles
flip motorcycles profit

flipping motorcycles

flipping motorcycles for profit

how to flip a motorcycle

how to flip motorcycles

how to flip motorcycles for profit

motorcycle flipping
restoring motorcycles for profit
Click on a term to search for related topics.