Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Chain and sprocket problems?

2K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  jondog9 
#1 ·
So I went for a ride last night and every time I took off from a stop or was going in idle speed there was the sound that sounded like the chain was loose "that chinking/smacking sound"...anyways got home chain was a little loose. Tightened it today so there is 1 3/8 slack roughly, drove 30 yards and it is making the same sound again. Looks like the chain is loose again.:crying:

Yes I tightened all the bolts down to where the should be and the spacer marks near the rear axle bolt are still where I set them when I tightened chain the first time before the 30 yard ride...any ideas? :confused:

and I checked the front sprocket guard and there was nothing in there hampering the chain.

94 honda cbr 900rr

#3 ·
You need to turn the wheel to find the tightest part of the chain, then adjust that to the specified tension.

#6 ·
Yes, you need to find the tightest part of the chain before you can adjust the tension. A chain will never wear all 108 pins evenly.

#7 ·
Put the bike on a rear stand, in neutral, and turn the rear wheel by hand. You'll find the tight spot Bladeracer is talking about.
Inspect your sprockets closely, they may be worn and need to be replaced.
If you can take a picture and post it up here, that would help.

#9 ·
You do not need a stand, you can have someone tilt the bike on the kick stand and turn the rear wheel to find it or just walk the bike and keep checking for the tight spot. But I personally have a feeling that if you post a picture of the chain it will look like sh!t and its time for a replacement.

#10 ·
But I personally have a feeling that if you post a picture of the chain it will look like sh!t and its time for a replacement.
And your right that was one of the "over the winter" projects I was going to take on just wanted this one to last the rest of this summer

#12 ·
My goal was to wait till winter and of course just out of the blue it started so now that I am on the path of buying new chain and sprockets...oponions on brand...520,525,530...good gear ratio I should shoot for, she bogs a little bit in lower gears so should I go up a little bit?

#13 ·
Maybe you should inspect the chain and sprockets before placing an order. Unless you already know it's time.
I prefer DID chains. Their 520 width is rated for up to 1200cc's. I have run a 520 on my RC51 for the last 3 years. Plenty strong and doesn't stretch with proper maintenance.
As for sprocket sizes, -1 for the front sprocket is a nice start. That is the equivalent of going +3 on the back. It moves your torque range to a lower rpm for more usable power down low. I have -1+2.

#14 ·
Maybe you should inspect the chain and sprockets before placing an order. Unless you already know it's time.
I prefer DID chains. Their 520 width is rated for up to 1200cc's. I have run a 520 on my RC51 for the last 3 years. Plenty strong and doesn't stretch with proper maintenance.
As for sprocket sizes, -1 for the front sprocket is a nice start. That is the equivalent of going +3 on the back. It moves your torque range to a lower rpm for more usable power down low. I have -1+2.

No, it simply raises your RPM so you have more power at the same road speed - just the same as changing down a gear.

#18 ·
Then why does it take less rpm to get started from a standstill?
I say it's because you move the entire torque range down the rpm scale.

Can you find any dyno runs that support this Jon?

#16 · (Edited)
Got it all apart and def need to replace all, anyways it has F-15 and R-45 which is -1/+2 ratio from stock already but it still seems like it likes to bog down a little at take off should I stay where its at? go back to stock? or what? :confused:

#20 ·
Ok so riddle me this, I finally got everything back together and working, I went back to stock size 16t for a front sprocket and stayed at the 45t rear which is +2. This now takes the gear ratio from 3.0 to 2.81, as of now it feels like the bike is able access more power (which lower gear ratio higher top end), I know that it doesnt make sense but if I were to compare the new setup stock/+2 with the previous -1/+2 it feels like the old gears were holding it back. I also went with 530 x-ring chain and all steel sprockets so I did not go with a lighter set up.

#22 ·
Yes I like the 0/+2 better when the -1/+2...it feels like I have access to more power from the bike. Like when you put on a cold air intake for your car it doesnt feel like you're getting the most out of it until you add a more free flowing exhaust. The -1/+2 just didnt feel right, the 0/+2 made it feel like it have more access to the power provided. Or maybe I'm just crazy and imagining things. Who knows

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.