Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Immovable oil filter

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  chris954rr 
#1 ·
Hey all,
Iv had my 97 Fireblade since last year. She's a little rough around the edges but seemed to run fine. Anyhow, it was left standing for the last 6 months under cover.
Iv done the general stuff, spark plugs, air filter, etc, leaving the oil and filter change till last as it's an easy job...... Right!???
Wrong! The oil filter is on solid, looks like it's been there for years. Iv knocked a hole in it to release pressure and shock it, but still no joy. Iv covered in anti corrosion lubricant.
Any one have any ideas? :crap:

#2 ·
You can get an oil filter wrench, that's basically a chain through a nut and lots of pressure, should come right off. You can also run a screw driver right through the filter and turn it that way, if you have already punctured it anyway it's just brute strength time. Personally I'd do the first, as the latter is messy.

#7 ·
Can't say I have, before I bought that wrench (couple of quid from halfords) I used the screw driver punched straight through the filter, depends how "stuck" it is though, if it's really stuck use the wrench. Never used a tri pod tool?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.