replacing cct on a cbr954rr? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By portugal100
  • 1 Post By RRDemon

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-28-2016, 9:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

replacing cct on a cbr954rr?

hey everyone been trying to look for a thread but cant find a how to replace a oem cct to a ape cct? iv done it on my old cbr600 f2 was very easy seeing you only had to take off the side fairing to get to it. to get to it on the 954 do i need to remove air box, throttle bottle ect. thanks to who ever replies much appreciated!!!
Attached Thumbnails
13414490_10153867804033409_886179239_n.jpg‎  
chuckhunter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-28-2016, 10:03 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 62

Garage
Re: replacing cct on a cbr954rr?

Just did this myself a bit ago. I had to drop the engine a few inches to get to the top bolt on the CCT, but I left the TBs in place. The bottom bolt is easy enough and you'll figure that one out quickly. I left the back-end bolted in, took out the front 4 engine mounting bolts. Got a jack under the engine (bike on front and rear stands) with a piece of wood under it to protect the oil pan/engine. Get the jack close to the front where it is unbolted. Simply lower the engine down a couple inches (slowly) and keep working to see if you can get enough room to turn the wrench. I only managed about 1/8-1/4 turn of clearance this way, but it was enough to get the job done without going through hell to drop the entire engine out. The new one just bolts right in (remember a new gasket and to clean old gasket material off)

To adjust - this is the most important part I figure.

Unbolt your timing inspection cover (17mm socket I think, right side of engine center cover) turn the bolt for the cct in until you start to feel a little bit of resistance. Turn the engine slowly while turning in the cct bolt (fingers only here). You are looking for a "lightly snug" feel like you were just setting the bolt before getting a wrench on it (analogy, do not put a wrench on it). After rotating the engine a couple times while turning the bolt in and you have no more "slack" you are just about done. Loosen the bolt by a quarter turn and tighten down the lock-nut. You are done! Now you just have to put everything back together.

Make sure to check the CCT tension after about 500 miles to make sure it is still "snug minus a quarter turn". Mine took almost another full turn in after some mileage. This is just breaking the lock-nut loose and turning the engine again. Same deal when you have it "snug" - back it back-out a quarter turn and tighten back up. Just checked mine this weekend after another 500 (or so) miles and it is still spot-on.

Hope this helps you out.
spagiratwink likes this.

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #3 of 6 Old 11-29-2016, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 37

i was able to get a small open end wrench on the top bolt after loosening the rubber boots on the throttle bodies, popping them off and gently moving them to the side while i worked.

technically, to set it correctly you need to remove the valve cover to measure cam chain deflection between the cam gears. most just use the feeler method of turning the set screw on the ape unit until they feel it make contact with the cam chain, back it off a tiny bit, n set the set screw.

start the bike and give it a listen. and adjust. you can typically feel the cam chain while you hold the ape's adjustment screw. you can loosen it just until you hear it starting to rattle then as you tighten it you can feel the chain kind of slapping on the screw. as it gets tighter the noise will stop and you can feel the chain smooth out and stop slapping. for whatever reason on the 954 this feeling was difficult to gauge. maybe its because your arm is elbow deep in a hole that maybe a 12 year old girl could fit her arm into, but mine was completely crammed into while adjusting.

here is the biggest problem on the 954. its a real pita to install, but adjusting it is difficult. the only way is shove your hand way up in between the frame and the engine and struggle to get a wrench on the set screw to loosen it. thats a battle by its self. then to adjust it, again youre arm deep on the left side of the bike where you cant really hear it very well. so you gotta adjust, fight with the wrench to tighten the set screw and hope you have it good when you walk around the other side n give it a good listen. if not repeat. its frustrating.

the next hurdle is these are performance parts more meant for race bikes. sure its a better option that the auto cct that will eventually fail. but... the ape cct need to be adjusted on a somewhat regular basis. it needs to be checked more often than not to be sure the set screw hasnt backed off. if it does it could be a real problem. maybe your cam chain will just skip a tooth but maybe it skips 5 and wrecks the valves as the pistons slam into the now incorrectly timed engine. my point is it needs a diligent eye on it. unfortunately its near impossible to see clearly. to see it at least requires removing the fairing.

personally, the fact it was stupid hard to adjust on this particular bike, not feeling good not checking its set screw visually every other time i rode because i wasnt taking my fairing off that often, left me to switching back to the auto cct. yes the ape is a better design. ive used them exclusively on most bikes ive owned. but on this bike its just too much to get at it. it was always in the back of my mind.. did i have it adjusted correctly or did i just get sick of f@cking with it n say "good enough"...was the set screw holding?... it never left my mind. other bikes it was easy to see and adjust i had no issue feeling confident in its function.

just my 2 cent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-11-2017, 11:03 AM
Supporting Member

Garage

I would normally agree with you that the only "right" way to do it is measure the chain deflection (and you are still right here), but you can tell the second the guide touches the cam chain, at least I could. The tension difference between free movement and touching was night and day for me. Going with "finger-snug minus quarter turn" ensures it is not too tight, but too loose on a 954 quickly gives you a rattle can chain-slap that is easily audible. Definitely not a "fool-proof" way to do it, but it works well. Also, your cam chain (and cct to go with it) should not need adjusted that much. If you are adjusting your tension more-oft than 5k intervals you have the cct too tight or something else is seriously wrong...

Not sure how many miles I have done since I changed the cct but I've checked the tension since and it was fine.

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #5 of 6 Old 01-11-2017, 2:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Garage

One suggestion that has shown up on many different threads is installing the CCT with a cap screw. Its supposed to be easier to remove than the original bolt.

My 954 will need a valve adjust this spring and I'm trying to find all the info possible to make this job easier. I've checked them before, that's not too terrible on the 954. Adjusting them sounds like a lot more work.
Attached Thumbnails
9303723-11.jpg‎  
post #6 of 6 Old 01-12-2017, 9:26 AM
Supporting Member

Garage

A cap screw would definitely help a good bit as far as future-changes, but the cct is not an oft-changed part. However, cap screws are inexpensive and are probably worth it for the fact that it would make it loads easier later =) I do not think the adjustment it too bad... not any worse than other maintenance items you go through.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Search tags for this page

honda 954 cct replacement

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page