09 CBR1krr ENGINE SWAP! HELP! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-10-2017, 5:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

09 CBR1krr ENGINE SWAP! HELP!

How's it hanging folks. New to the site, just looking for some pointers on what to look for in buying a used engine.
I purchased my first Cbr1krr a few months back with a seized engine, I been saving up ever since now, I have the money to purchase a used one, Finally!
I found an used engine w/ complete Harness only! now I know I should buy a used engine with Ecu,wiring harness,throttle bodie,airbox etc you get the point.
My question is simple can I just switch all the items I need from my old engine to the new(used) one I'm buying ? I would appreciate the help. Sorry if I'm leaving anything out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-10-2017, 10:51 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 62

Garage
Re: 09 CBR1krr ENGINE SWAP! HELP!

If you are buying the same engine designed for the bike than everything should swap over. There are a lot of little bits (hoses and other misc. items) that you will have to make sure go back in the right place -but- you can switch the starter, hoses, sensors, etc. from your bad engine (assuming they are good parts) to the new engine. These are just production engines the same you would find in a ford focus engine swap =)

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #3 of 6 Old 01-10-2017, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Thank you!
Have another interesting question, I got online this morning searching for another engine but local area and a guy posted his 2012 CBR1krr with 3kmiles for $1500. You can assume what I'm aiming towards! Is the swap possible/simple or should I just ignore the headache!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-10-2017, 7:07 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

1) You can wait and see if someone here has done it and posts the results?
2) Call your local Honda dealership and ask? Maybe guise the question as they may get the business if it's doable?
3) Try and match part numbers on microfiche at sites like ronayers.com
4) Stick with what RRDemon stated above?
5) Let us know how you make out, good luck!

post #5 of 6 Old 01-10-2017, 8:21 PM Thread Starter

Definitely! I'll be waiting something about buying an used engine through Facebook group makes me think real hard about who I'm doing business with. I'll keep you guys posted. Thank you guys for the help!
post #6 of 6 Old 01-11-2017, 10:18 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 62

Garage

Short answer- depends.

What year is your 1krr? You never really mentioned it in the initial post =)

Lambchops swapped a 1krr motor into an ancient 'Blade.... fuel injection and all.... also managed to switch the clocks in... but he is some kind of motorcycle genius (He will deny this to the end).

It comes down to your ability to figure out how to make something fit into a place when it was not truly designed to fit there in the first place..... It can be a bit of a nightmare to make sure everything lines up (engine mounting, ecu, wiring, sensors, coolant hoses, etc). The bright side is that, for the most part at least, while some positions of items may have changed the basics have stayed the same. I would think one of the biggest issues is making sure that the airbox fits underneath the fuel tank properly.....

Lambchop managed to go from carbs to FI, make everything fit, fashion a new loom, and .. I forgot what else because he did so bloody much to that bike =) Check out some of the later pages of his thread to find the 1krr engine swap into a carb'd '98 blade.

Link to said amazing thread that covers ALL the times his bike has been changed up My 900RR Winter Revamp

EDIT: you have it posted in the title what year it is... sigh... I'm sure I initially saw it too. I would check the fiche(s) to see the differences in cases, mounting points, and loom.

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."

Last edited by RRDemon; 01-11-2017 at 12:34 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page