WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN BUYING A USED ENGINE - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-13-2017, 4:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN BUYING A USED ENGINE

Hey Folks, I'm looking to buy a used 2010 cbr 1000rr engine for my bike. Now my concerns are how do I check if the engine is in good running conditions? I know very little about motorcycles. The engine is already off ready to go. Anything helps thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-13-2017, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 87

Re: WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN BUYING A USED ENGINE

Hello Doc....that is a huge question without much info to go on...besides the physicality of the engine itself who and where did the product come from, is there a warranty?.. who is going to do the install?......I can speak from experience many years ago when I bought a used engine for my 1984 nighthawk 750s.. the cam chain went and on those engines that was a death sentence...so I went to a sketch pad salvager and picked up a used one for a buck a C.C....I drove it home like it was a kidney for transplant and my brother and a buddy put it in as the guy gave me a 7 day warranty from purchase...not install date....it all worked in my case but now that I am 30 years older I would be more prudent
IanDoohan likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-14-2017, 11:38 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 61

Garage

Not the best of ideas, but you can remove the timing cover and spin the engine over to make sure it is not froze up. Unfortunately you are going to be a bit limited without an arsenal of high-dollar tools. If you at least have a borescope you can pull the plugs (if they are still in-place) and get a rough idea of the cylinder wall condition. Other than that you can turn it over a few times and listen for any "off" noises (major clunks/scraping/grinding/rattles/etc). I doubt there will be much oil in a used engine that has been pulled already, so I wouldn't go spinning it too much =)

At least it is something. If there is a major conundrum in there it will likely present itself through a harsh sound.

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-15-2017, 7:51 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

Other than what was said above, I would ask for some kind of warranty. Anything actually, from the seller would give a little credence to it being a good engine.
spagiratwink likes this.

post #5 of 17 Old 01-16-2017, 6:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxman1196 View Post
Hello Doc....that is a huge question without much info to go on...besides the physicality of the engine itself who and where did the product come from, is there a warranty?.. who is going to do the install?......I can speak from experience many years ago when I bought a used engine for my 1984 nighthawk 750s.. the cam chain went and on those engines that was a death sentence...so I went to a sketch pad salvager and picked up a used one for a buck a C.C....I drove it home like it was a kidney for transplant and my brother and a buddy put it in as the guy gave me a 7 day warranty from purchase...not install date....it all worked in my case but now that I am 30 years older I would be more prudent

So engine is used with 4.5 miles. No proof of odometer. He does have the cluster but everything is unstalled. The guy gave me the vin# on the engine. So I plan on calling my local chp to check if it stolen before giving that much cash out.
It's from a local private seller.
so you recommend asking the seller for a week of warranty? I have a older buddy who's a mechanic Ima help him out on the swap.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-16-2017, 6:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDemon View Post
Not the best of ideas, but you can remove the timing cover and spin the engine over to make sure it is not froze up. Unfortunately you are going to be a bit limited without an arsenal of high-dollar tools. If you at least have a borescope you can pull the plugs (if they are still in-place) and get a rough idea of the cylinder wall condition. Other than that you can turn it over a few times and listen for any "off" noises (major clunks/scraping/grinding/rattles/etc). I doubt there will be much oil in a used engine that has been pulled already, so I wouldn't go spinning it too much =)

At least it is something. If there is a major conundrum in there it will likely present itself through a harsh sound.
this all sounds so complicated for non experienced motorcycle mechanic. Never worked on anything besides my truck even that I was a bit hard for me. How about doing a compression test ? I left out a huge part. It's my first streetbike 09 CBR1krr it's a project.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-16-2017, 6:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoni View Post
Other than what was said above, I would ask for some kind of warranty. Anything actually, from the seller would give a little credence to it being a good engine.
the guy does sound straight forward. I will ask him for some kind of warranty. Also a bill of sale.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-16-2017, 10:20 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 61

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docholliday23 View Post
the guy does sound straight forward. I will ask him for some kind of warranty. Also a bill of sale.
a bill of sale is a MUST here... proves your legal rights to that engine. Also I would try to get a bit of back-story (maybe it is just from a bike he wrecked) and figure out how and why he is selling the powerplant in the first place. Be wary here - if he bought the bike and wrecked it, but he is still making payments on it, the bike probably still has a lean on it... and so does that engine that is not legally his to sell (if that is the case).
spagiratwink likes this.

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #9 of 17 Old 01-16-2017, 4:47 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 87

Quote:
So engine is used with 4.5 miles. No proof of odometer. He does have the cluster but everything is unstalled. The guy gave me the vin# on the engine. So I plan on calling my local chp to check if it stolen before giving that much cash out.
so you recommend asking the seller for a week of warranty? I have a older buddy who's a mechanic Ima help him out on the swap.
My guy as indicated was a sketch pad and gave me a 7 day warranty from purchase date, your seller sounds straight forward....most people act in good faith but the odd dikwad makes us all hyper sensitive to rip offs
RRDemon and IanDoohan like this.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-16-2017, 8:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDemon View Post
Quote:
a bill of sale is a MUST here... proves your legal rights to that engine. Also I would try to get a bit of back-story (maybe it is just from a bike he wrecked) and figure out how and why he is selling the powerplant in the first place. Be wary here - if he bought the bike and wrecked it, but he is still making payments on it, the bike probably still has a lean on it... and so does that engine that is not legally his to sell (if that is the case).
oaky so the reason behind him selling the engine is reasonable he said "he originally bought it about 3 years ago to put it in a mini buggy but those plans fell through" he bought it from a guy located in Canada. The engine is complete
Wiring harness
with Both CDI boxes
Exhaust manifold
Keyed ignition
Cluster
Radiator and both fans.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-16-2017, 8:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxman1196 View Post
Quote:
My guy as indicated was a sketch pad and gave me a 7 day warranty from purchase date, your seller sounds straight forward....most people act in good faith but the odd dikwad makes us all hyper sensitive to rip offs
you got that right! I rephrase I hope he doesn't rip me off. With a bill of sale and a week or two of warranty I'll can be happy with! Long as the engine isn't stolen I don't want to have any problems with the DMV process.
post #12 of 17 Old 01-16-2017, 9:25 PM
Supporting Member

If the price is acceptable to you, go for it. Try and get any warranty you can. A compression test will be a pain in the a-- without it installed. G/L Jay

post #13 of 17 Old 01-16-2017, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoni View Post
If the price is acceptable to you, go for it. Try and get any warranty you can. A compression test will be a pain in the a-- without it installed. G/L Jay
so I should just ask for a good two weeks of warranty and install instead
post #14 of 17 Old 01-20-2017, 7:19 AM
Supporting Member

Look it over again really good, bring a friend if you can. Make sure it has all the components you need for the installation too. Change/check the plugs and install if he gives you a little warranty. My 2 cents
post #15 of 17 Old 01-29-2017, 8:39 PM
Supporting Member

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page