Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Battery recommendations

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  jdoni 
#1 ·
Need a battery for my 929, can anyone recommend one?

Never seen so many different types here in the uk, cheapest around £30, most expensive one i've just found £230.

#2 ·
If you can afford it, I prefer the LiFePO batteries. If you want something cheaper, read plenty of reviews to make sure you're not buying a battery that people are only getting a year out of before it dies. Nothing is worse than having to buy a new battery every year or being stranded.

#5 ·
lithium iron seems to offer lots of plus points but it is not all plain sailing, here are some issues I considered before buying a yuasa!:smile

much more expensive
needs special charger
low capacity (ah)
cold weather starting (if you ride during the colder months)
can the bike charging system deal with it correctly?
less tolerance of low charge state

you can find info and write ups on theses issues and then decide if this is for you or not:smile

#6 ·
ill agree they are pretty expensive but they do last. my shorai has been in the bike over five seasons and looks like its gonna have another in it so i think its a good value.

shorai does sell a specific charger, however printed directly on the battery is a label that states regular lead acid chargers are compatible as long as they dont have an automatic desulfation mode that cant be turned off. battery tender brand does not have this feature and are safe to use. in the five years ive had the shorai ive never put a tender on it. i simply unhook the positive lead when i store the bike for winter. this year i went out to start the bike and the battery was pretty much flat. it turned over a few times but i did end up putting it on a regular 12v 6amp charger for 15 minutes and it was fully charged. put it back in and its not even hinted at going flat the several times ive started, but not rode the bike since. i was surprised at how quick it took a full charge.

i dont usually ride in the dead of winter unless temps break 50f. i did go out a couple seasons ago to get a pic for our photo challenge thread. it was 4f outside. initially the bike was turning over but very weak. shorai suggests in very cold weather to turn the bike on with headlights set to high n let it sit 15 seconds to get the battery charge flowing. i did and the bike started after a few tries, getting stronger with each attempt. i think at least half of the issue was it was just so cold and i hadnt started the bike in a couple months so its always a little finicky initially.

it does have some different characteristics than a lead acid. ive had probably 20 bikes and 4 wheelers that have had yuasa cells in them and they make a great product. this has been my first lithium iron cell and if it hadnt been in the bike when i bought it i prol wouldnt have bought one myself and just stuck with what i know. ill say that ive really been impressed with the shorai. until this year ive never done a single thing to it in terms of charging, using a battery tender, removing it n bringing it inside for the winter, all things i typically had to keep up with using lead acid batteries. its been a breeze to own.

http://store.shoraipower.com/FAQ.html

#8 ·
I agree with your comments guys regarding the plus points. looks like for your use, it is a good option.
that's why I seriously considered those types when I needed a new battery but in the end the yuasa was half the price (of shorai), came with two years warranty and no worries about which charger I use.
I just wanted to make our friend aware of the pitfalls and what to watch out for, the last thing you need is an expensive battery that doesn't start the bike in cold weather and your bike headlights only come on with the engine running!

I have heard the new Honda cbr1krr comes is fitted with lithium iron wonder why no other manufacturer is using it considering hard they boast & try to reduce weight! Any thoughts on this?

#10 ·
I did not take the time to read everyone's posts, but I highly recommend a Yuasa battery, and investing in a Battery Tender to be employed in the "off season". For decades, the two aforementioned named products have given me at least 10 years of life in streetbikes, snowmobiles, ATVS, boats, PWCs, and even my riding lawnmower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.