Trip to deals Gap Tail of the dragon - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 3 Post By COBRA90GT
  • 1 Post By 954Kevin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-13-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

Trip to deals Gap Tail of the dragon

I'm heading out there 6/30-7/3. Do anyone have any recommendations of things to do out there. I've searched "things to do" on line and found a few ideas. I hope to hear from people that can point me towards incredible experiences that I can share with you. I only really have 7/1 and 7/2 to enjoy myself out there since 6/30 and 7/3 will be mostly traveling day. I live in NYC, and from what I recall from my MapQuest search, it will take me 12 hours to get there. Scenic views, incredible restaurants, places I must visit are all welcomed. I plan to ride the Dragons tail, but that is not all I want to do so please share your thoughts...

Last edited by Sabotage; 04-13-2017 at 2:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-13-2017, 5:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5

Re: Trip to deals Gap Tail of the dragon

There's so much to do while you are down there; those two days will go by in a flash! Remember to pace yourself while riding.

Are you riding down there or trailering the bike? Going solo or with a group of fellow riders?

Visit the Killboy website 1st.

Then continue to read several write-ups about the area using Google and glean info from a few different motorcycling message boards. Jot down some of the places down there that sound interesting to YOU and YOUR group and you've got yourself a personalized guide/outline to keep you on track.

Be careful of the "tourist traps" in and around the general area (think Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area - no offense to those who enjoy those sorts of things LOL). You'll have plenty of photo-ops during riding breaks for great views of the Smoky Mountains.

Here's a few highlights that our group touched on while visiting the area last summer:

Rented a cabin in Wears Valley TN
Rode the Foothills Parkway, Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway
Some in our group visited Clingman's Dome
Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort (souveniers)

While riding we stopped for snacks at the Thunder Mountain General Store & Deli in Robbinsville NC ( Thunder Mountain General Store and Deli )

At the end of one of our rides we ate dinner at a place called Kram Bonez BBQ in Tellico Plains TN

Hope I didn't throw too much at ya, the trip is what you make of it - enjoy it & ride safely !
unslow1, Sabotage and Jaybird180 like this.

-'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
-'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC-51

-'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR
(sold)
-'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold)
post #3 of 11 Old 04-14-2017, 6:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRA90GT View Post
There's so much to do while you are down there; those two days will go by in a flash! Remember to pace yourself while riding.

Are you riding down there or trailering the bike? Going solo or with a group of fellow riders?

Visit the Killboy website 1st.

Then continue to read several write-ups about the area using Google and glean info from a few different motorcycling message boards. Jot down some of the places down there that sound interesting to YOU and YOUR group and you've got yourself a personalized guide/outline to keep you on track.

Be careful of the "tourist traps" in and around the general area (think Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area - no offense to those who enjoy those sorts of things LOL). You'll have plenty of photo-ops during riding breaks for great views of the Smoky Mountains.

Here's a few highlights that our group touched on while visiting the area last summer:

Rented a cabin in Wears Valley TN
Rode the Foothills Parkway, Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway
Some in our group visited Clingman's Dome
Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort (souveniers)

While riding we stopped for snacks at the Thunder Mountain General Store & Deli in Robbinsville NC ( Thunder Mountain General Store and Deli )

At the end of one of our rides we ate dinner at a place called Kram Bonez BBQ in Tellico Plains TN

Hope I didn't throw too much at ya, the trip is what you make of it - enjoy it & ride safely !
Thanks for the info. I'm trailering the bike, I'm going there alone or with a friend, but the reason for the trip is its just one of those trips I need to get out of my system. I've been thinking about it for years so I just went on line and booked it for my vacation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-15-2017, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 38

my local forum group makes several trips down there every year. its only about a 5 hour drive for us. ive never been personally but ill make a post on the forum asking for must do check lists and routes.

the dragon pit inn is a pretty popular spot to stay but they stay booked so look into trying to book a room early.

ill report back with suggestions from the group. these guys n girls go to ride for the most part, i know they typically hit the dragon once or twice in the morning hours but spend most of their time riding other roads in the area that are less traveled but just as curvy.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #5 of 11 Old 04-16-2017, 9:11 AM

a response from one of our members "cowasockee" who makes the trip more than a couple times every year;

"Days and days and days can be spent down there and never ride the same road.

Highlights are definitely:

The gap itself. Ride early in the morning or late in the afternoon. It's rarely crowded then.
Cherohala Skyway. A loop can be made with 390 (look on a map) with the Gap.
28 from the motorcycle resort all the way to Walhala South Carolina. For some reason people like to turn back at the Highlands. Keep going. It's only better.
The "Figure 8" in north Georgia. Roughly Tellico Plains to Suches on GA 60. 180 to Richard Russell Highway. 75 back to 180. 180 to US 129 (blood mountain). Back to 60. LONG RIDE from Robbbinsville.
Blueridge Parkway at least to Maggie Valley and stop in the Wheels Through Time museum. It's well worth it.
Just about any road coming onto or off of the Blueridge Parkway. You can crisscross this and US 64 and have a very good long day.
These are the highlights. There are so many little roads that have little traffic it's amazing.

Eat at:
The Hub in Robbinsville. There are plenty more but this little gem is excellent."

ill leave responses here as i get them buddy.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #6 of 11 Old 04-16-2017, 5:51 PM

april-

"Sam(cowasockee) did a good job there. I'd like to add that wherever he decides to stay, he needs to book ASAP, everywhere tends to sell out pretty far in advance.

Taking a ride down 28 to Bryson city and on to the Road to Nowhere is a nice side jaunt. Bryson city is very cool with several really great places to eat, especially the Chocolate Shoppe! The best fudge in the world is made there- better even than Forbis Gen Store!"

((forbis is a destination ive made with the group. its just across the tennessee border from kentucky, a old time real deal general store complete with 90 year old guys sitting in rocking chairs whittling pieces of cedar. they sell some crazy good fudge.))

post #7 of 11 Old 04-16-2017, 8:59 PM

booger-

microtel~Robbinsville 828-479-6772
TWO wheel INN ~828-479-4248
San Ran hotel~ 828-479-325
Fontana Village~ 800-849-2258 $$ but nice
Deals Gap~ 800-889-5550
Tuskeegeemotel 828-479-8464 a little dive but better than nothing. Tuskeegee has character, with nothing a round but a pond, some road traffic and good roads.
WERA689 likes this.

post #8 of 11 Old 04-17-2017, 11:48 PM

slimer-

Sam hit the roads spot on, I would say 28 as far as you can go or Walhalla SC at most, and also the cherahala (even though most of us hate it) is a road you must do at least once.

Places to eat: One of my favorites is The Rivers End off of 19.

Place to stay: IMO, if its a bucket list trip, then stay at one of the nicest places down there which is Fontana Village Resort. There are a couple restaurants on property, its a fun ride any direction to choose to go when you leave, and that place is always full of motorcycle/car enthusiast so there is lots of conversation and good eye candy (cars, bikes) to look at in the parking lot. Last I checked, it was $120ish a night.

post #9 of 11 Old 04-18-2017, 6:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
slimer-

Sam hit the roads spot on, I would say 28 as far as you can go or Walhalla SC at most, and also the cherahala (even though most of us hate it) is a road you must do at least once.

Places to eat: One of my favorites is The Rivers End off of 19.

Place to stay: IMO, if its a bucket list trip, then stay at one of the nicest places down there which is Fontana Village Resort. There are a couple restaurants on property, its a fun ride any direction to choose to go when you leave, and that place is always full of motorcycle/car enthusiast so there is lots of conversation and good eye candy (cars, bikes) to look at in the parking lot. Last I checked, it was $120ish a night.
Thanks for the info, I booked the hotel once I decided I would be going out there. I'm glad you indicated Fontana Village Resort being a nice place because that is where I booked to stay based on the reviews. And, yes it was a bucket list kind of trip...
post #10 of 11 Old 04-18-2017, 8:19 AM

ride red-

28 north of Franklin is in bad shape. It's marked for a repave soon.

post #11 of 11 Old 04-21-2017, 2:27 PM

booger said dont miss the fiddie race at the resort...

mrszx7 said blood mountain is a nice ride.

and danhor7 posted a link to an article that reminds that the gap is a place to enjoy but keep yourself in check and ride safe.

Road to Regret

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page