chain touching rear tire - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 2 Post By lanbrown
  • 1 Post By Jim16
  • 1 Post By Jim16

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 5:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

chain touching rear tire

hey all
I just noticed something and it worries me: the chain runs very close to the rear tire on my bike, and when it moves around from the bumps in the road, it sometimes touches the tire ( previous owner put wider 200mm Avon tires, they are about half used now) and leaves grease on the external edge, for about one inch, just outside of the zone I use when leaning the most.
I have cleaned the tire as well as I could but I am now wondering what to do:
-shall I adjust the wheel parrallelism to bring the tire further from the chain, by pulling the right side of the axis further towards the end of the swing arm? is it going to create vibrations?
-should I just change that tire? is it to be considered rotten? not sure if I can trust it now :-/
-is 200mm too wide for a 919?

thank you for your input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 6:10 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23

Re: chain touching rear tire

200 is a wide tire and was done for looks, not handling. Is the rim stock or a wider rim put on? Also, you do not want to have the tire anything but straight. Have you been behind a car that you can visually see that it is not tracking straight and that the rear is either to the left or to the right of the front of the vehicle.

Here is an example:

A Motorcycle is a single track vehicle though but you can expect higher tire wear and in corners it won't be as well sure footed.

You should fix it right.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 6:20 PM Thread Starter

thank you !

the rim is stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 6:29 PM
Global Moderator

Way too wide for that stock rim. It also ruins the handling and as you have found, it doesn't fit right as it is close to the chain. The PO wanted it for the poser points but also loved chicken strips.
unslow1 and IanDoohan like this.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 7:10 PM Thread Starter

ahah, well, strangely the previous owner rides way serious, I believe he actually mounted that wide tire just to sell it...And the fun part is that I bought it and I'm anti-show-off, so I methodically removed all the douchy ameloriation, and there were just two: a black windshield and fancy handle grips.But I ADMIT I liked the wider tire at the time ah ah
bad idea.This bike is going to get a new tire, I don't trust this one anymore anyway.
unslow1 likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 7:22 PM
Global Moderator

Yep, many like wide tires; cars, motorcycles or even trucks. At times it is performance related but many times it is just aesthetics. Sure I have wide tires on my vehicle and they were also part of package. They are wider than the non performance package but the vehicle is pushing 550HP. You can get the same package on the smaller motor but also has about 250HP less; in that case the wider tires are really pointless.

In your case, the seller probably needed to put a new tire on anyway and decided wider will help sell it and the new owner can deal with it.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 9:41 PM
President Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 74

Garage

180/55 for the OEM rear tire size on the 5.5" rear rim. That 200 on the OEM rim must look ridiculous.

Mind posting a picture for curiosity's sake?

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #8 of 13 Old 06-19-2017, 8:58 AM Thread Starter

of course

by the way if anyone happens to own a spare oem rear fender on which I could mount stock turn signals...
IanDoohan likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-19-2017, 11:24 AM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 41

she's got a SSATAF

good onya for puttin' it back to proper

"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #10 of 13 Old 06-19-2017, 1:26 PM
President Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 74

Garage

That's a great looking 900! Do you have plans to relocate your muffler/mid pipe? If you go back to the OEM under-tail tray your right turn signal wont fit with the muffler there.

Also, any way to post a pick of how close the chain actually is to the tire? Reason is that I have a 6" rim on my 99, with a 190/55 on the rear and a 520 size chain. It fits nicely. You could possibly get away with the 200 series if you went to a 520 size chain and sprocket set up.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #11 of 13 Old 06-19-2017, 1:50 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Garage

That is a great looking bike, that red colour scheme I'm sure was for North America only, we ended up with some pretty dubious paint schemes over here. They matched the owners shell suits!

post #12 of 13 Old 06-19-2017, 2:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
That's a great looking 900! Do you have plans to relocate your muffler/mid pipe? If you go back to the OEM under-tail tray your right turn signal wont fit with the muffler there.
yep, I know.I haven't decided yet.I have all the stock exhaust's parts but it's damaged and doesn't look as good as this splendid Devil that also has an amazing sound.
So I might just put one stock blinker on the left, and leave the teardrop on the right lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
Also, any way to post a pick of how close the chain actually is to the tire? Reason is that I have a 6" rim on my 99, with a 190/55 on the rear and a 520 size chain. It fits nicely. You could possibly get away with the 200 series if you went to a 520 size chain and sprocket set up.
yes, but why bother? I don't really want a 200 anyway.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-19-2017, 2:50 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim16 View Post
yes, but why bother? I don't really want a 200 anyway.
Then the question is 180 or 190. Some motorcycles do better with a 190 and some do better with the 180. I don't know what is the case with yours though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page