Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion » Amsoil Review - Ima gonna catch hell for this post...

General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2004, 10:01 PM   #1

Reputation Power: 23
Bacchus has a spectacular aura about Bacchus has a spectacular aura about
Amsoil Review - Ima gonna catch hell for this post...

That's right, it's an oil thread!

After reading all the hype about Amsoil here on the forum, I decided to give it a go. I have 4K miles on this oil right now (ready for next oil change). I read many kudos for the oil - longer change interval (which is very cool), butter-smooth shifting, etc. Well, I personally have noticed NO difference in the typical clanking Honda transmission . I think I may have read one post that suggested trying at least 2 changes of Amsoil, but I'm wondering whether or not I shouldn't just go back to Honda's product. I figure Honda offers an extremely quality product, seeing as they have to back up their own warranty.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:13 PM   #2

Reputation Power: 19
NinerPilot is a jewel in the rough NinerPilot is a jewel in the rough NinerPilot is a jewel in the rough NinerPilot is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot
Re: Amsoil Review - Ima gonna catch hell for this post...

I say keep with it. I have tried quite a few (Motul, Amsoil, Mobile, Honda, off the top of my head, and I have stuck with Amsoil.
Chris
Old 04-28-2004, 11:14 PM   #3

Details NinerPilot, if you don't mind. Why have you stuck w/it? TIA!
Old 04-28-2004, 11:29 PM   #4

Reputation Power: 12
jafo is on a distinguished road

I think abtech mentioned before that it takes 2-3 changes with motul before you notice the benefits(smoother trans shifting),probably the same when switching to any higher quality oil.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:57 PM   #5

OK jafo, you have my ear. Maybe it was an abtech post that mentioned giving the synthetic route a couple of changes before judging. Don't remember...

Abtech, help! I know you are sick of these posts, but I just don't know where to go from here...
Old 04-29-2004, 12:08 AM   #6

Reputation Power: 13
OntheEdge is on a distinguished road

I think amsoil is a much better product then the honda oil but the benefit in power and trans smoothness might be beyond most humans detection. Maybe only the gods like Abtech can really notice. I do use amsoil in my bike and car because I know it's a great product that will help them live longer.
OntheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 12:20 AM   #7

NinerPilot is a jewel in the rough NinerPilot is a jewel in the rough NinerPilot is a jewel in the rough NinerPilot is a jewel in the rough

A buddy of mine was telling me that you can pull a sample at any time of Amsoil and send it to them for analysis. He works at a dealership and talked like he had done it before.
Chris
Old 04-29-2004, 12:24 AM   #8

And Bacchus,
Amsoil seemed to be smoother than the others right off the bat, plus the fact that the rep told me that if I didnt gain Hp with amsoil, he would not only pay for the amsoil I used but buy me a case of Motul (which is what I was using at the time). Gotta like a ballsy rep. BTW, I got 2hp after the swap and I was the one running the dyno... Now yes I know that a fly in the dyno room can +/- 2hp, but I havent swapped back yet.
Chris
Old 04-29-2004, 12:25 AM   #9

Originally Posted by NinerPilot
A buddy of mine was telling me that you can pull a sample at any time of Amsoil and send it to them for analysis. He works at a dealership and talked like he had done it before.
Chris
OK, that is a plus.

Abtech, please chime in on your experiences w/Amsoil, should you have any. I realize that you are a Motul fan!

Last edited by Bacchus; 04-29-2004 at 12:28 AM.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 12:41 AM   #10
Jay

Jay is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Jay

I havent used Amsoil, but many of my friends have.
After a while they all come back to regular oil, except for the Duc guys.

I used to use GoldenSpectro, but now as a student I am all about the Honda oil. I change it often and it seems to hold up just fine.

Hot days or cold days, the honda stuff works well through and through.
Thats me though.

MtbikingCentralVA.org
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 12:47 AM   #11

I'm thinking I'm w/you Jay, unless others can sway me otherwise...
Old 04-29-2004, 12:55 AM   #12

fumbducker is on a distinguished road

You like it both ways and now you wanna be swayed.....wtf? You don't feel you're getting the goods with Amsoil....switch back. Either way it's a Honda and it's going to live forever....Mini-man sometimes I wonder about you....

J

edited for spelling

Last edited by fumbducker; 04-29-2004 at 12:55 AM.
fumbducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 12:55 AM   #13

929flyer is on a distinguished road

I have a Motorcycle Consumer News article from last year that tested a whole bunch of different oils. They are, if your not familiar, a straight shooter magazine. They don't bow to anybody. In this very article they made a point of "not recommending" any one oil, but gave the results and let the reader make up their own mind.

The Amsoil faired far better than the Honda oil and many others. It was right in line with the Motul. Even a little better in a couple of tests than the Motul. I ran Amsoil after reading the article for most of last year (Motul previous to that) and was very happy with the oil. A couple of friends with 929s and 954s put it in when I told them to give it a try and they are very pleased as well.

Obviously, I bet the Honda oil works just fine. But, if you run em' a little hard like I do at the track then a little better oil certainly can't hurt. I've stayed with the Amsoil because it gets delivered right to my door along with some filters from them and since I still do frequent oil changes because of track time it doesn't cost as much as the Motul I was using.
Old 04-29-2004, 4:20 AM   #14

Holeshot is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Holeshot

Originally Posted by Bacchus
That's right, it's an oil thread!

After reading all the hype about Amsoil here on the forum, I decided to give it a go. I have 4K miles on this oil right now (ready for next oil change). I read many kudos for the oil - longer change interval (which is very cool), butter-smooth shifting, etc. Well, I personally have noticed NO difference in the typical clanking Honda transmission . I think I may have read one post that suggested trying at least 2 changes of Amsoil, but I'm wondering whether or not I shouldn't just go back to Honda's product. I figure Honda offers an extremely quality product, seeing as they have to back up their own warranty.
Get an oil analysis.. then you'll have some hard data to base your decision upon. I had it done on my last M1 oil change. Learned the oil was doing it's job, but I went about 1000 miles too long on the change interval (flashpoint was below normal) we'll see how the next report looks. Besides you might learn something interesting about the health of your motor... oh.. and your oil filter too. I did two changes on one filter and the particulates were well below expected values (so I'll pay the extra for the factory filters as they seem to be doing the job!!! )

I used Blackstone Labs. Report was done same-day they recieved the sample and in my e-mail box not long after that. I have two kits right here next to me for the bike nd which ever car needs a change first.

Last edited by Holeshot; 04-29-2004 at 4:25 AM.
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 7:37 AM   #15

Reputation Power: 15
SuperDave will become famous soon enough SuperDave will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by OntheEdge
I think amsoil is a much better product then the honda oil but the benefit in power and trans smoothness might be beyond most humans detection. Maybe only the gods like Abtech can really notice.
I'm with OTE. Tried Amsoil a couple times, I'm using HP4 (semi-synthetic without Moly). I believe even Dan Kyle stated 'just use Honda GN4, that's all you really need'. Joel has some huge miles on his 929 (48000? or something like that) and I don't think he's using an expensive synthetic. BTW, I'm paying WAY too much for this HP4.

Last edited by SuperDave; 04-29-2004 at 7:37 AM.
SuperDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Search tags for this page
ams oil reviews
amsoil bad reviews
amsoil motorcycle oil
amsoil motorcycle oil filter review
amsoil motorcycle oil review
amsoil oil filter review
amsoil oil review

amsoil review

amsoil review consumer reports
amsoil review motorcycle

amsoil reviews

is amsoil any good
Click on a term to search for related topics.