Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion » Rivet type master link !?

General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2004, 2:54 AM   #1

Reputation Power: 14
stopsign will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to stopsign Send a message via Yahoo to stopsign
Rivet type master link !?

hey guys i am about to change my chain and not about to pony up the $65 for a tool to peen over the edge of the masterlink, i used to use my buddies tool but it has been pilfered..... anyone ever use the ball end hammer or the punch method ???? i'm not about to take any chances when it comes to my chain....
Old 05-11-2004, 5:35 AM   #2

matt232 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to matt232
Re: Rivet type master link !?

Originally Posted by stopsign
hey guys i am about to change my chain and not about to pony up the $65 for a tool to peen over the edge of the masterlink, i used to use my buddies tool but it has been pilfered..... anyone ever use the ball end hammer or the punch method ???? i'm not about to take any chances when it comes to my chain....

Its anything like a push bike chain.......

I spent the better part of a day trying to knock out the link with a hammer and punch... gave up and bought the tool the next day....punched out the link in a few minutes.....save the frustration and banged knuckles and get the tool.
matt232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 8:01 AM   #3

Reputation Power: 12
Kookie is on a distinguished road

Removing the chain isnt so much of a problem (dremel, drill, and punch), its installing the new link that would pose a problem. If you are not up for spending $100 on the tool, see what the shop will charge you to rent/install the chain for you. Bottom line - Only use the appropriate tool for the job, especially when your life depends on the job being performed.
Kookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 8:10 AM   #4

the question wasnt about removing the link rather about installing it....
Old 05-11-2004, 8:21 AM   #5

l'timbré is on a distinguished road

I was against the idea of doing it myself but after speaking with a lot of mecanics that have the tool but use a punch instead. I tried it with succes and it is a piece of cake!!!!

first use a pair of plyers, and a little bolt that you place on the edge of the rivet so to apply a pressure to get the plate in. Do both sides equaly and press until alined with the other links. Take a sledge hammer and put it on the back of the link to provide stability when you will hit the rivet.

I did not use a punch as recomanded by mecanics but a mecanical hammer round ege of hammer. Do not hammer to hard cause it is pretty soft (rivet)

good luck it is a piece of cake

Originally Posted by stopsign
the question wasnt about removing the link rather about installing it....
Old 05-11-2004, 1:33 PM   #6

CanyonCarver is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by l'timbré
I was against the idea of doing it myself but after speaking with a lot of mecanics that have the tool but use a punch instead. I tried it with succes and it is a piece of cake!!!!

first use a pair of plyers, and a little bolt that you place on the edge of the rivet so to apply a pressure to get the plate in. Do both sides equaly and press until alined with the other links. Take a sledge hammer and put it on the back of the link to provide stability when you will hit the rivet.

I did not use a punch as recomanded by mecanics but a mecanical hammer round ege of hammer. Do not hammer to hard cause it is pretty soft (rivet)

good luck it is a piece of cake
CanyonCarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 3:47 PM   #7

Reputation Power: 13
OntheEdge is on a distinguished road

I don't think I would do the hammer thing just because I bought the tool kit that looks like the Motion Pro kit but is a knock off for $35 shipped. It's not the best quality but it does the job. It's not worth doing it wrong to save a couple bucks.
OntheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 3:55 PM   #8

Reputation Power: 34
abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of

I have seen several bent or broken sprockets from using the "hammer" technique. I would use a clip type master link safety wired before I took a hammer to the rivet ends . . .
Old 05-11-2004, 6:13 PM   #9

CanyonCarver is on a distinguished road

$65 > your life (possibly)? Seems like cheap insurance to me. Especially if you can pick up the tool for only $35, like OnTheEdge.
CanyonCarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 9:08 PM   #10

OK OK, you guys convinced me, I sprung for the tool..... it wasnt even a money issue, it was just... hell i dont even know... well anyway its done now and i feel better having done it properly.... the thing that started me thinking was when i asked the shop i am faithful to to lend or rent me the tool for an hour said to just use a hammer, "thats what everyone does" so i started thinking and naturally came to you guys for your opinion...

thanks again !!!!!
Old 05-11-2004, 10:42 PM   #11

Reputation Power: 15
MedTechRR will become famous soon enough MedTechRR will become famous soon enough

just one more reason to do all your work yourself and foret the stealerships, they are all jokers and don't care if they do it wrong, heck its your bike and if the sprocket gets bent they just get more work changing it in a few weeks! They're all the same!
"How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home beermaking course, and I forgot how to drive?" - Homer J. Simpson
MedTechRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Search tags for this page
different types of atv master links
how install motorcycle master link
how to break a master link off a, motorcycle

how to install a rivet style master link

how to install a rivit type chain link

how to peen a chain link

how to put on a rivet type master link

install master link without tool
iwis join link rivet
peening a 530 chain with a hammer
rivet joining link tool
rivet tool for master link
Click on a term to search for related topics.