Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Insurance Funny (or maybe not so funny)

3K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Zeeman 
#1 ·
It has been several weeks since I got the VFR, and I still hadn't gotten my insurance cards in the mail. My agent is usually good about getting them out to me quickly, so I gave them a call to check.

Turns out that the finance person at the dealer never contacted them to switch my insurance over. :rolleyes: So, I rode for over 3 weeks with no insurance. If an accident had ocurred, I guess I would have been up the creek.

#6 ·
I never even considered that the dealer would call my insurance. Sounds kinda odd that you would even expect it. There is always a waiting period when picking up a bike, be it 15 minutes or sometimes even more. That's when I pick up the cell and call the insurance company with my new VIN number. This way there is no confusion and I know I'm riding off the showroom floor with no worries about insurance.

#18 ·
ConqSoft said:
All I can say is, that with all 8 cars/trucks, and all 5 motorcycles I have purchased, I have never had to contact the insurance company. The dealers are supposed to do it to comply with finance company regulations.

Now if you pay cash for a vehicle, that's different. In that case, yes, it should be your responsibility.
Most insurance companies---give you 30 days grace to add a new vehicle (I know for a fact that AAA does)

#22 ·
Mo Noyz said:
Actually my State Farm agent told me the same thing. He said that they rarely do motorcycle policies anymore. And that they only give them to long term, good standing clients.
But what they fail to realize is I insure a car, truck, house and 2 bikes. And because of the bike policy I have incentive to shop as an unhappy customer.

#23 ·
I've been told it is law here that your insurance carrier provide coverage on any new vehicle for 30 days. You are supposed to tell them within three days, but not required.
Of course, I haven't personally looked it up, so I can't be sure it is law.
Either way, I always call and make sure it is set up, and haven't run across the dealer not doing it yet.
I guess your info got lost in the pile or something. :idunno:

#24 ·
Not sure about the nationwide rule, but being in banking and dealing with insurance companies day in and day out I know that in Missouri, Kansas, and Nebraska there is a 30 day "grace period." The insurance agent can't deny the claim during that period, as (in my case) the 30 day wait is written into the law. I don't know if it has anything to do with the 30 day tag law, but it works nicely there also.

#25 ·
In the land of sue the crap out of anyone that dares give oyu a hot coffee, is that not a VERY legitimate reason to sue, should something bad happen? An dif not, then surely, it is YOUR job to do it. Or hav eI missed the point?

Z...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.