Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Shinko Tires?

17K views 64 replies 19 participants last post by  Snapon11 
#1 ·
Does anyone out there have any knowledge on Shinko tires. As say compared to Michelin Pilot powers. I can't find anything on google that really tells me how they work and the guys at the motorcycle shop have never heard of them.....:idunno:

#41 · (Edited)
i havent used them and honestly dont know anyone that does. I dont use anything but michelin tires on everything that i own. For my car it's the hydraedge, for the truck it's the cross country, for the dirt bikes it's the starcross, and for the sportbike it's the pilot powers. the tires are the foundation of the bike and i absolutly refuse to put a lower quality tire on my bike because of money. if i need tires for something and dont have the money right away then i dont drive/ride it until i do. but it also helps that i used to be sponosored by michelin for mx and i still get the discount. about $100 for the pp 190/50/17 and then 100 for the cross country and hydraedge, then about 60 for the starcross

#42 ·
the tire handles as good as my Pirelli , and i have done some very high speed riding with it ... if money is not in the purchase factor, i would personally buy the michelins , the PP on my front has gotten some very good use out of it ..my bike is also 100% street only though , no track

#44 ·
so what - we can start another " you ride that fast on the street " argument ? ....let's just say the tires have performed with no problems into the 140's mph range on a few closed roads around here.. no problems leaning into turns nicely around the twisties also, once the tire is warmed up properly,and correct tire pressure is set ....like i mentioned, they perform just as well as the pirelli that i had on the back before.Depending on how much mileage they get out of them, i would buy them again 'so far' !

#45 ·
so what - we can start another " you ride that fast on the street " argument ? ....let's just say the tires have performed with no problems into the 140's mph range on a few closed roads around here.. no problems leaning into turns nicely around the twisties also, once the tire is warmed up properly,and correct tire pressure is set ....like i mentioned, they perform just as well as the pirelli that i had on the back before.Depending on how much mileage they get out of them, i would buy them again 'so far' !
you ride that fast on the street!?? haha just kidding:evilaugh: me 2 on ocasion

#48 ·
Yes i have heard they are not too clever, i run michelin pilot sports on mine, they; for me are an excellent tyre, struggled getting a 16inch. me old man run some tyres at the moment on his thunderace, they use to cheap rubbish for smaller bikes, he rates them very highly and he's no slouch. think they re-entered the world doing tyre for supermotard. they are very reasonably priced and by all accounts are very good, but shinko, not that great, i wouldnt buy them

#49 ·
Our roads are terrible in the uk, specially in the north, shinko wouldnt last 5 minutes on a thrash, cheap inferior tyres shouldnt be an option to consider on modern sports bikes, they are simply not up to the job, maybe alright on an er5 commuting to work. i wouldnt risk it, but then again they will never grow into anything decent if people dont give them a chance.

Not for me, i'll let others do it then we'll see.

#50 ·
Product Review: Shinko Stealth Tires
10/19/2007
By Ken Hutchison
So where does this tire belong in the grand scheme of sport tire options? Exactly where Shinko wants it to be. This is a very affordable low-cost alternative to the bigger-buck tires on the market today. For the street rider on a budget this a fine alternative to buying take-offs or less expensive touring tires if the cash flow is not conducive to the $300-400 per set price range of the Big Four brands. For beginner trackday riders on smaller-displacement sportbikes the Shinko Stealth should also be considered as an option because it appears to be capable of offering plenty of grip and durability over the course of at least two full days at the track, possibly more depending on how hard the rider is on them. As it is I have to report the overall experience with these budget buns is favorable.

This is the summary of a nice unbiased review. This is the link to the entire article:
Product Review: Shinko Stealth Tires - MotorcycleUSA.com
overall, not a bad tire. Might try 'em next time, who knows....

#52 ·
i use my bike for literally everything, i commute to work on it, i track day it, it see's the isle of man and it gets a bloody good hiding at weekends, maybe i'll put a set on end of april, that way i''l get a track day in, commute and try and get a TT out of them. if i crash because of them im holding you guys responsible, ha ha only kidding. no seriously, if no one buys them they potentially cant develop, and it must be hard for these companies when they are surrounded by the likes of bridgestone, michelin etc, but i dont like taking that chance, you know what its like when you go out with a group, you always end up riding a bit daft, if you dont have confidence in your vehicle in anyway then your riding suffers and thats when accidents happen, dunno maybe.

#53 · (Edited)
I have been selling and USING the Shinko 003 and 003 Ultra Soft for 6 years now. Yes; I am a drag racer, but I occasionally ride it to work and with the exception of the last year and a half, have riden many many times with groups of people and have had no problem keeping up in corners, even being extended 9-1/2inches!

They do have a flatter profile than regular tires...but that is because it is "primarily" used in the drag racing world.

Am I saying the Shinko is a better tire....NO!!!! I am just saying that "I" have never had a problem, nor has any of my customers had a problem with riding on the street with that tire. The 005 is a harder compound than the 003.

If money wasn't too concerning, I would buy the Pirelli or Michelin.

#56 · (Edited)
slickwill and lanbrown just sold a set of shinko's!!!! you should ask for a commision from that dealer. You argued him into buying the tires. Now he's gotta prove a point.

Here's the deal though guys, and you should know this slickwill, not everyone on this site pushes their bike to the limit. Some people just want something to cruise around on, and that is great. I see nothing wrong with someone who just wants to ride. Who are we to call someone a "poser" because they don't try to take every curve on their knee. I thought the whole point of this site was for all of us to band together. Not call each other names because they don't do things the way we do. The man is on 2 wheels and in my mind that is all that matters. Not that he can turn the hottest lap on track day. Not everyone has $300 or $400 for tires. We should all applaude this man for actually researching his purchase. Isn't that what everyone always says? "I've never used them, you better do some research before you buy em." He had links and articles from several sites to back his story, but he's the poser.

I say good job renegade. i hope the tires work out for you. Come back and give us a good review, obviously not too many people here have tried them.

I can't stand that there are people on this site that feel like because you don't spend your life on the track, you must be a poser or a lesser man. Riding is riding men, no matter how you do it. We would all do well to remember that.

#57 ·
slickwill and lanbrown just sold a set of shinko's!!!! you should ask for a commision from that dealer. You argued him into buying the tires. Now he's gotta prove a point.

Here's the deal though guys, and you should know this slickwill, not everyone on this site pushes their bike to the limit. Some people just want something to cruise around on, and that is great. I see nothing wrong with someone who just wants to ride. Who are we to call someone a "poser" because they don't try to take every curve on their knee. I thought the whole point of this site was for all of us to band together. Not call each other names because they don't do things the way we do. The man is on 2 wheels and in my mind that is all that matters. Not that he can turn the hottest lap on track day. Not everyone has $300 or $400 for tires. We should all applaude this man for actually researching his purchase. Isn't that what everyone always says? "I've never used them, you better do some research before you buy em." He had links and articles from several sites to back his story, but he's the poser.

I say good job renegade. i hope the tires work out for you. Come back and give us a good review, obviously not too many people here have tried them.

I can't stand that there are people on this site that feel like because you don't spend your life on the track, you must be a poser or a lesser man. Riding is riding men, no matter how you do it. We would all do well to remember that.
:plus1:

#60 ·
The debate has nowt to do with posing or knee down on every corner, i was about 20 somthing last time i got my knee down, novelty wore off. i ride real world, in crappy british weather, if i say ive not ridden my bike twice in a year id be lying, its my only mode of transport, 80,000 mile i have racked up on my blade in the space of 3 years, i want a tyre that i can trust, yes i have my mad moments but not all the time, jeez i spend all week commuting to london, ever tried london in rush hour, its murder. no call me old fashioned but ill stick to what i know, there isnt many countries like ours for crap weather and bad drivers, its appalling. but i will agree, biking is biking and its damn good fun whatever you ride, i somtimes take small bikes home from work, honda dylan, do a 60 mile commute on one of those babies, excellent fun in the traffic, what a scooter that is. yes biking is great i love it, its in my blood, i blame me dad

#62 ·
My point had nothing to do with weather, or the tire. I just get sick of these holier than thow, mine's bigger than yours, look what I did KIDS, who think that just because someone does it different than they do, they must be posing. Riding isn't about all that. This guy wanted a tire for his bike. He made it clear he didn't have the money to buy the high end brands. He did his homework as far as researching the net. All he wanted to do was double check with the guys on this site to see if anyone had any problems with the tire. He wanted to know if anyone here had owned any of them. The guy who called him and his buddies posers admintted he had never even ridden on someone elses bike with these tires, but he sure did slam them. We all have heard bad things about different tires. I've never run anything but bridgestone's so I didn't say anything about the shinko's or the tomahawks. All I can say is my battlaxx's do great, and I've never ridden the others. And I'm a poser too because I stood up for the man. I had no idea you needed to be a Hayden or a Rossi to contribute or get info from this site. It's pretty bad when a man can't just get an honest INFORMED oppinion.

#65 ·
Put my rear shinko to a decent test yesterday on some basic twisties. It did fairly well. Gripped like a tire should. I didn't go balls to the wall to really see what they could do, but I'd think these are fine for the average daily rider, just like what slickwill posted above me. I didn't feel like they were ever gonna skid out on me, or let loose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.