Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion » I hear noise with chain and lower sprocket.......???? need help

General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 8:45 PM   #1

Reputation Power: 0
las1368 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to las1368 Send a message via Yahoo to las1368
I hear noise with chain and lower sprocket.......???? need help

I put me 98 900RR up for the winter and just got it back on the road. I greased my chain and thought i checked my oil. I started hearing clicking sound (and a little vaibrations) from my chain and sprocket box. I sprayed my chain (cause it looked a little dry) and tighten it up, was loose. And then when i was backing it up, I heard a loud CLANK!!. I rode it for awhile and heard the clicking. I thought it was a loose sprocket, but it wasn't. I check on my oil and it was low. So I regreased the chain and put some oil in and it seems to have went away, don't hear the clicking, but i still feel the vaibrations. Anyone have an idea what this could be? I appreciate the help. I haven't rode it, just around the block.

I really don't know what to do, I'm thinking of taking it to a shop and be at their mercy.

I also want to add, that i haven't lost any power and it doesn't feel like the gears are failing in anyway.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2008, 11:11 PM   #2

Reputation Power: 7
jacobflyin is on a distinguished road
Re: I hear noise with chain and lower sprocket.......???? need help

Where is the vibration coming from like the handle bars or the seat it could be a # of things more info would be great.
Old 03-19-2008, 5:06 AM   #3

Lothring is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Lothring

I think I may have the same problem and I also don't know what to do. The chain isn't loose and everything seems alright but this strange grating noise is driving me mad. And I can't think of anything.
Lothring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 6:54 AM   #4

matty_998cc is an unknown quantity at this point

How low was your oil level? Did you add 1 liter, 2 liters?

How long did you ride with it low on oil? You indicated that there is no loss of power and gear shifts are positive but if you rode it long enough maybe you did permanent damage.

I know you said you lubed your chain, but what is the condition of the chain/sprockets? Tired chains and worn sprockets sound like crap. Check the wear on the sprocket teeth and if the chain keeps stretching out after you adjust it thatís a good sign that it needs to be replaced.

Have you checked the cam chain tensioner? This has known to be a source of mysterious & annoying sounds for Blade owners. Search the site for "CCT" or "cam chain tensioner."

Good Luck!

Last edited by matty_998cc; 03-19-2008 at 7:05 AM.
matty_998cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 7:54 AM   #5

Reputation Power: 31
denzee has a reputation beyond repute denzee has a reputation beyond repute denzee has a reputation beyond repute denzee has a reputation beyond repute denzee has a reputation beyond repute denzee has a reputation beyond repute denzee has a reputation beyond repute denzee has a reputation beyond repute denzee has a reputation beyond repute denzee has a reputation beyond repute denzee has a reputation beyond repute

Try lifting the back wheel and rotate it watching your chain. As matty says it may be stretched and have seized up links. See that the chain slack stays even as you put the wheel in different positions. If you adjusted it at a loose area, it may be too tight at another place and binding. Look for links that don't seem to straighten out after coming off the sprockets. You may need sprockets and a chain. If everything is smooth here then you can look elsewhere for you problem.
denzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 9:08 AM   #6

las1368 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to las1368 Send a message via Yahoo to las1368

I removed the sprocket cover and checked the small sprocket (not visible wear or damage), the chain looks some what brown and a little rusted. But I cleaned it and resprayed it with the chain lube. and it seems to be okay.

The pervious ower used to stunt with it and he had changed the sprockets, I noticed that the rear sprocket was worn out ( i changed it for a stock one), it looks good too. but i noticed when the chain was replaced that it was too long (cause the front sprocket has more teeth then it should). So my chain has stretched to the point that it is at the last point, til it will not be able to be adjusted anymore.

I have the bike on a rear stand and looked at it run and chain is jumping like crazy. I don't hear the clicking sound anymore, but i still feel like there is some vibration. I only put half a liter of oil in the bike. It wasn't really low.

From what i have read, it seems like my chain is the root of this problem. Cause i don't hear any grinding noises from the gear box, both my sprockets are in good shape and it is the chain that is jumping like mad. It is due for a tune up (oil change, plugs and wires, filters). So i'll ride it some more and report back. I'll look into replacing the chain, how long does a chain last? I replaced this chain last year (when i replaced my tires and now they need too need to be replaced). Thanks again guys. I do appreciate the info on this.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #7

If your chain is jumping replace it right away if you take the time to clean the chain after every hard ride or every 500 miles you should be fine and it should last a long time but this time around replace the chain and both sprockets because a bad sproket could make a good chain go to sh**.

Good luck
Old 03-19-2008, 11:51 AM   #8

Reputation Power: 10
MidwesterneRR is a jewel in the rough MidwesterneRR is a jewel in the rough MidwesterneRR is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jacobflyin View Post
If your chain is jumping replace it right away if you take the time to clean the chain after every hard ride or every 500 miles you should be fine and it should last a long time but this time around replace the chain and both sprockets because a bad sproket could make a good chain go to sh**.

Good luck
You need a chain and sprockets. Do a search on the site, there are several combinations that would work for you.
MidwesterneRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #9

If you can get a 520 kit.
Old 04-01-2008, 9:49 AM   #10

Reputation Power: 8
kiai is on a distinguished road

dunno don't have a good feeling regarding the 520 kits after 2of them snap on my friends I tend to stay with the 525's
kiai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:04 AM   #11

Carolina_954 is on a distinguished road

you can't just buy a 520 chain. You have to choose the one with the proper tensile strength for your bike. If you try to take a 520 chain from a 600 kit, it will snap. You have to get the kit and chain designed for your bike.
Carolina_954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #12

Bobcat Sig is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bobcat Sig Send a message via MSN to Bobcat Sig Send a message via Yahoo to Bobcat Sig

I'm not sure what your parts selection is like in Egypt, but the comment about getting the right tensile strength is huge. Get the right 520 spec'ed out for your bike.

As for chain brands, both RK and DID make great chains in a couple of different configurations.

Sprockets: Vortex, Renthal, and Sprocket Specialties all make great choices. There are others, as well. But those seem to be the ones that most go with. But again, since you are in Egypt, things might be different.
Bobcat Sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 6:13 AM   #13

kiai is on a distinguished road

I actually order most of my parts from the US I personally love to run DIDs ER series on the 525ERV the avg tensile strength is 8,400 LBs that's enough I think for most litre bikes

for sprockets most ppl likes to run renthal around here specially in gold color seems they like the bling I myself love to run JT's
kiai is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Search tags for this page
i hear noise coming from my chain
motorcycle chain making noise

motorcycle chain noise

motorcycle chain sound
motorcycle chain sprocket noise
motorcycle loose chain noise

my motorcycle chain is making a strange noise

new motorcycle chain makes knocking noise
noise at back wheel of motorcycle. chain wearing sprocket
sportbike chain dry rough

why does my motorcycle chain make noise

will a loose sprocket on a motorcycle cause clicking
Click on a term to search for related topics.