Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Hand signals

15K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  TattooedGQ 
#1 ·
Myself and a buddy were having a discussion of hand signals in use on motorcycles. There is of course the motorcycle wave to fellow riders, left, right, and stop signals. We then got into more abstract ones. I believe the signal for cops is a tap on the helmet? He thinks it is a finger waved in a circle. Anyone know and also what other hand signals do people use?

#2 ·
I dont think I use hand signals except to wave people thru.
Turn and stop - I want hands on the controls.
I nod to other riders.

Um yes - I do wave a kids.

For cops or some reason to slow I do an open hand with an up/down motion with the emphasis on the down movement (ie slow down)

#4 ·
i didn't know what the tap on the helmet meant until yesterday, but even though i didn't know what it meant it saved me from a certain ticket. i was screamin down the road and a bike coming the other way gave me that signal and i just slowed down just out of curiosity and confusion and sure enough, right around the next been was a cop

#6 ·
finger in the air in circle motion is usually for U-Turn,if you're riding with other people,cops is tap on the helmet,or tap on the leg for a more discrete approach,slow down is hand flat to side,with an up and down motion..as far as hand signals as far as stopping and turning? **** em,i bet 90% of drivers even know wtf they are.

#9 ·
Hand signals are a no-no. I am not talking about waiving at another rider but all the other goofy stuff that's out there. Every time you give a signal you are taking off your hands from the handlebar.

Hand signals are a thing of the past when bikes didn't have turn signals. Now all these signals do is confuse other riders and more important car drivers.

#11 ·
Hand signals are a no-no. Every time you give a signal you are taking off your hands from the handlebar.
If you can't take a hand off the bike to give a hand signal, you are riding above your head. I regularly give out waves or signals deep into the apex of a turn at full lean. It's not a problem if you are ballanced as you should be at all times when riding on the street.

Hand signals are a thing of the past when bikes didn't have turn signals. Now all these signals do is confuse other riders and more important car drivers.
Not! They are alive and well. And still legal.

#10 ·
excuse us all FB1000 but you must realize you live in Scranton, Pa the only thing exciting in that town is that show "The Office" all u must worry about is watching out for Michael in his company drop top or Dwight in the Formula 'bird :pointup: , as far as hand signals here in the bay and everywhere I ride we use the tap on head for cops we also use hand signals as well as blinkers for lane changes especially in congested traffic, also a foot out (sort of like stretching it) means gravel or road obstruction. the twirly finger is for u turns, the flat hand emphasis on going down means slow down (maybe a road obstruction or an accident ahead... you can never be too safe, and you should never assume other cage drivers know your intentions automatically. I also like to make a brief eye contact so I know they see me.

#13 ·
:thumb: :plus1: this sounds exactly how we ALL ride here in Nashville.. very large bike community... and everyone seems to understand all the signals we use.. if you don't like signals don't use them, but for peopl that are 100 yards back in a group and can't see a blinker or when you are in large group and need to communicate to everyone hand signals are very effective..

excuse us all FB1000 but you must realize you live in Scranton, Pa the only thing exciting in that town is that show "The Office" all u must worry about is watching out for Michael in his company drop top or Dwight in the Formula 'bird :pointup: , as far as hand signals here in the bay and everywhere I ride we use the tap on head for cops we also use hand signals as well as blinkers for lane changes especially in congested traffic, also a foot out (sort of like stretching it) means gravel or road obstruction. the twirly finger is for u turns, the flat hand emphasis on going down means slow down (maybe a road obstruction or an accident ahead... you can never be too safe, and you should never assume other cage drivers know your intentions automatically. I also like to make a brief eye contact so I know they see me.

#14 ·
Hi Guys

A short intro to body signals in the UK and Europe.

A nod or sideways neck twitch if you are being cool about it to salute another biker.:nod:

Waving both arms around like a loonie means you just slowing down from 160mph.:hyper:

An outstretched leg is a thank you to a courteous car driver for making room for you to pass, this is more used in continental Europe than UK when a left hand thumbs up as you pass is the norm. remember we drive on the proper side of the road in the UK.:patriot:

a hand gun gesture means a speed trap ahead or a general waving down with left hand to advise to keep speed down ( that one is pretty universal i guess).:guns:

All the rest we do with indicators.

#16 ·
I forgot the all important one
raise both arms up and put hands on head, with hands pointing down, arching your arms - means go to the nearest McDonalds (arms look like the arches)
My mate and I use that when on the freeway to signal pulling into the next reststop.

Yes I know it means I have both hands off the bars - its not used in traffic, just at an appropriate time while on the freeway.

#20 ·
I tend to use just the basics..

Middle finger or wan*er if they dont see me
Nod to other riders

have had riders as well as cars flash their lights at me to indicate cops round the corner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.