Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion » Running in a new motorcycle

General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 6:31 AM   #1
Website Owner - AYS

Reputation Power: 13
.OrgOwner is just really nice .OrgOwner is just really nice .OrgOwner is just really nice .OrgOwner is just really nice
Running in a new motorcycle

Running in a new motorcycle or not running it in can make a big difference to the reliability and overall life and perfomance of the engine. So I wanted to get some feedback from the members on what is best practice for a sportsbike. I've been doing some research and found tons of conflicting advice on the subject. Here are a just a few points

From new change the oil after just 20 miles regardless of what the manufacturer says.

V-Twins require a different run in than inline engines

Don't use synthetic oil during run in.

You should always stick to the manufacturers break in procedure

Run your motorcycle in as you are going to ride it

Run your motorcycle in hard

don't load your engine during break in

vary the engine speed constantly during break in.

And so the advice is conflicting, maybe engine break in is a total myth.

for sale by owner
.OrgOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-07-2008, 7:30 AM   #2

Reputation Power: 7
exit90a is on a distinguished road
Re: Running in a new motorcycle

Here is a link to a page which claims to be the Holy Grail of How to break in an engine. It is the method I used with no ill effects. Bike has over 3000 miles and uses no oil while making great power. I'm sure some of you have seen this before. Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
exit90a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 7:38 AM   #3
Website Owner - AYS

Reputation Power: 13
.OrgOwner is just really nice .OrgOwner is just really nice .OrgOwner is just really nice .OrgOwner is just really nice

Can you povide us with an outline of the method rather than a link?

for sale by owner
.OrgOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 7:58 AM   #4

exit90a is on a distinguished road

Sure. The idea is that a factory recommended break in is not agressive enough to create a proper seal between rings and cylinder wall. You should start by allowing the bike to reach full operating temp. Once you begin your break in you should alternate between short bursts of acceleration and deceleration while progressively raising the RPM. Allowing the bike to "engine brake" or slow on its own is also important. It is suggested that the first 20 miles are of extreme importance(80% of break in) and that the engine is fully broken in by the 1500 mile mark when using this method. You should change your oil at 20 miles. Use conventional motor oil, not synthetic, during break in. That is it in a nut shell. I still recommend reading the link as it is 15 pages and I condensed it to a paragraph.
exit90a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 8:31 AM   #5

Reputation Power: 21
ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of

Absolutely agree with exit90a (and Motoman, author of recommendation).
ghbzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #6

Reputation Power: 9
MCR001 is on a distinguished road

I see lots of these posts and questions.
My old man is a motor mech of old school, Retired now. and I took his advice - I ride as though I would ride it normally without racing the moto, and change the oil at 1000 km's - touch wood 28 years on bikes + cars and not one engine problem, no need to change that Philosophy.
MCR001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 2:57 PM   #7

Evil R is on a distinguished road

Ive read the hard break in strategy before, and ive also heard the contradiction that that procedure works great for racers and people that go extremely hard on their engines because they have to rebuild them after a couple thousand miles anyway. That being said, ive never had to break in a bike (buy used and make sure everything works haha)
Evil R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 3:47 PM   #8

Reputation Power: 43
sheepofblue has a brilliant future sheepofblue has a brilliant future sheepofblue has a brilliant future sheepofblue has a brilliant future sheepofblue has a brilliant future sheepofblue has a brilliant future sheepofblue has a brilliant future sheepofblue has a brilliant future sheepofblue has a brilliant future sheepofblue has a brilliant future sheepofblue has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

I did the RR as Honda recommended but don't think it matters much. I can remember slapping bikes together starting them once then loading them for the track. One advantage of break in is if you fail it limits damage if you are not WOT. As to the synthetic , if I follow they tell you to use a lower quality oil when on a fresh engine.
Old 08-07-2008, 4:06 PM   #9
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 134
Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Sideshow bob

I was always told to run allway to red line, as long as you don't put the engine under heavy load it'll be fine......
never had a problem... but then again I've only ever had to break in 3 bikes
Originally Posted by sheepofblue View Post
One advantage of break in is if you fail it limits damage
....think you maybe right sheepoblue,
The only time I came across any problems was picking up a bike for a mate...
He wouldn't ride it from shop becouse he'd never ridden on road, so I collected it for him, on way back gearbox seized.. turned out a washer had dropped into bottom of gearbox in factory and It decided the best time to pronounce it presence was on a bend at 60
Old 08-07-2008, 4:14 PM   #10
Out Of Many, We Are One

Reputation Power: 54
Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute

Ive always been told to run in any engine nice and easy, not go over a certain revs or speed (told to me by my tutor - the person I watched over when learning)

My Hornet has just over 2000 miles, she has been sweet as a nut ever since I got her. I don't redline my bikes when Im breaking them in (am I supposed to?), but I make sure it goes through the rev range through-out all the gears...
Old 08-07-2008, 4:30 PM   #11
Global Moderator

Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twincam View Post
not go over a certain revs or speed
I was told they recomend this becouse most drivers don't know what a heavy load is?
I don't redline my bikes when Im breaking them in (am I supposed to?)
I do, did with my van last year too.. was told to use ALL rev range, so I do .. but I'm sure someone will say you shouldn't... don't think there is a definative answer
Old 08-07-2008, 7:44 PM   #12
Out Of Many, We Are One

Reputation Power: 54
Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute

I think its what the user is suited to. My company van was red-lined all through-out its running in stage, feels very free and loose (sort of speak) compared to my collegue's van.

I do like exploring the rev ranges when running them in, I may once or twice hit red-line but thats after a good few hundred miles.

Some people say take it easy, some say thrash it to hell and back - I think its down to you personally...
Old 08-08-2008, 5:34 PM   #13

Reputation Power: 63
CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sideshow bob;704151[FONT=Comic Sans MS
The only time I came across any problems was picking up a bike for a mate... on way back gearbox seized.. turned out a washer had dropped into bottom of gearbox in factory and It decided the best time to pronounce it presence was on a bend at 60 [/FONT]
CBR Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 5:47 PM   #14
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by StrumminRonin View Post
Don't worry strummin...

that was way back in the 80's, in them days bikes were manufactured out of wood, had square wheels & ran on good old leaded petrol*

*leaded petrol weighed twice as much as unleaded so bikes were slower
Old 08-11-2008, 9:22 PM   #15

themidget2k6 is on a distinguished road

When i was getting a bike and considering new, i talked to my buddy whos a motorcycle mechanic and got second opinions from a couple guys who have ridden for 20+ years and all broke in new bikes.
Only one said differently than this...
Ride it like you stole it, if your going to break it in, break the thing in hard, just as you will ride it later.
That being said, the mechanic also said change the oil pretty much when you get home and vary the throttle going any distance. A good tactic is to 'jackrabbit' the lights. Find stretch of road that has lots of lights, and little traffic. When the light turns green, run your bike hard to the next one, using the engine to brake yourself before the next stop line. If it turns green before you come to a stop or are close the the stop line, run up to higher gears and give her a work out.
The other guy said keep the bike under half-redline rpms, and under 90km/h till 1000km. Dont accelerate hard and dont engine brake. Pretty much baby the thing. I think hes cracked.

But... all ride bikes with no engine problems or bike problems in general. except the mechanic, he used to race and had a tendancy to break the bike and himself. He didnt consider it a race season if he walked away without casts on a few major limbs.
themidget2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Search tags for this page
haw to run in a new moter caycel

how to run in a motorcycle

how to run in a new motorcycle

how to run in a new motorcycle engine
how to run in new bike
is running important for motorcycle
motorbike run in
running in a motorcycle

running in a new motorcycle

running in honda bikes

running in motorcycle

running of new motorcycle
Click on a term to search for related topics.