is a honda CBR 600 a good starter bike??? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 09-22-2008, 4:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

is a honda CBR 600 a good starter bike???

im only 15, sophmore in highschool, but i have a 98 honda CBR 600 f3, custom blazing copper paint job.
i just have one question is this a good starter bike????
i have been riding for 2 months now but i want some other opinions.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-22-2008, 4:53 PM

Reputation Power: 56

Re: is a honda CBR 600 a good starter bike???

15? Riding for two months? Whats the laws over there?!

Firstly let me say and to the site...

Secondly, the bike you have chosen is a good starter bike, many people say the f4(i) which is the newer version of yours but IMO the first bike should never be new...

The problem arises with cockyness - now although I don't know you, I would say 75% of "youngsters" (well everyone is compared to me ) are cocky... And that is their biggest problem. All I'm trying to say is don't do stupid things, I know adrenaline flows through your veins and all you want to do is crack her open when someone tries it, but seriously its not worth it.

Once you pass, get yourself down to all the courses you can (e.g. MSF and what ever else you guys have over there)...

If you want to read up more about this topic, do a search and you will find thread after thread about it...

Ride Safe and be good,

Twin

"Second is the first of the losers..."
post #3 of 29 Old 09-22-2008, 4:57 PM Thread Starter

my friend got cocky yesterday when we were riding and he dumped his bike going aroung a curve at about 30, he was alright but the bike is trashed.

the laws here in tennessee let a 15 year old have up to a 650 bike, a 14 year old can ride a 250 and under.

thanks for the reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 09-22-2008, 5:12 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Send a message via MSN to shakey1378

get some good gear if you dont have any. i know some states are very relaxed with helmet laws and such, dont make yourself a statistic because you feel more comfy in a t-shirt and shorts. cbr600 is a lotta bike for a teenager take your time and learn. dont push your limits cause they will bite you in the a$$. take twincam's advice sign up for every course you can find it will only make you a better rider. heck i may sign up for a course next season just as a refresher incase im making mistakes im not seeing and ive been on the road since 18 and riding since 8 offroad. you never stop learning new techniques. i also reccomend finding a open parking lot and practice doing circles and switch backs to get comfortable with being leaned over and practice some of the basics like stopping, starting, and hard braking using both front and rear brakes...good luck and welcome to the boards
post #5 of 29 Old 09-22-2008, 5:24 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the advice
post #6 of 29 Old 09-22-2008, 5:27 PM

Reputation Power: 163

The CBR600 is a good bike - beginner or otherwise! I have a friend with a CBR6 (1999) and he's often the fastest rider in our group - and the rest of us are on 900cc+ machines!

As the others say, just be careful - take it easy as you learn how to ride. You have your whole life ahead to get faster, there's no need to rush! Things can (and do) go very wrong, very quickly on a bike, more often than not when you're trying to push too hard.

Most importantly though, have fun - you've got a great start in biking with that CBR.
post #7 of 29 Old 09-22-2008, 6:11 PM Thread Starter

ya im always careful, because im in no rush to go over 100 MPH, i cant right now because the fuel pump is too small for my bike so it starts losing power after 90 but still gets up there really quick!!
post #8 of 29 Old 09-22-2008, 7:25 PM

Great starter bike!!! Man I would have loved to be riding the streets at 15, you are a lucky man! Didnt get my 1st bike untill I was 20 (YZF600). MSF or equivalent course is a must. Invest in the gear as soon as you can. Im sure you have kick-ass riding around TN enjoy the hell out of it!

Can you post pics of your bike, i've been thinking about going copper.
post #9 of 29 Old 09-22-2008, 7:44 PM Thread Starter

i just put pics up, the copper looks really good in the sun, but looks more red when its cloudy or darker outside, all in all the copper is one of my favorite colors
post #10 of 29 Old 09-22-2008, 8:19 PM

Reputation Power: 15

If you've already been going 90mph anywhere other than a track then it's a terrible starter bike.

If it has wheels, I've crashed it, and some things that don't razor scooter, skate board, roller skates, roller blades, skis, snowmobile, card board box on stairs, giant inner tube, nissan sentra, dirtbike, lawn tractor (wheelied it over), grandmas bread tray on stairs, kayak, canoe, rubber raft, bicycle, wake board, kneeboard, waterskis, tobaggan (plowed a pine tree), horses, ATV's
post #11 of 29 Old 09-22-2008, 8:41 PM

Looks great man. Definitely going copper!!!

post #12 of 29 Old 09-22-2008, 8:42 PM

No need to be going as fast as 90 when you are new to riding. As said above make sure you get proper gear.
post #13 of 29 Old 09-22-2008, 8:46 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Send a message via MSN to shakey1378

the paint is nice, seeing pics arises two questions

did you buy that helmet new?
if not go buy a new lid immediately

are you short like under 5' tall?
if not..
the suspension is obviously lowered, id highly suggest putting your suspension back to the stock settings. reason being if it is set up by previous owner it probably handles like crap and you being a newb you may not catch the charactaristics of a poorly laid out suspension before its too late.

P. S. slow down, stay at legal speeds your a newb so remember the faster your going the slower "you" can react. most of us here would like to see you still on the boards 10 years from now.

quite frankly i would say take your bike to the nearest reliable bike shop and get the bike gone-over by a professional have them check your suspension, brakes, clutch and make sure your wheels are balanced
post #14 of 29 Old 09-23-2008, 7:39 AM

yea i would have to say that a cbr600 is a great bike but not a good starter bike.....too powerfull imho to be "learning" on. i think there would be alot more younger ppl injured or worse still killed.. good reason for 250cc limit im most places.
post #15 of 29 Old 09-23-2008, 11:26 AM

It's not the bike that kills. It's the rider. The fact that you are up to 90 already says that you are like the rest of us. Those that survived are able to post. Those that didn't aren't here. The danger in high speeds is in how fast things happen and how long it takes you to stop. Then what you impact and how abruptly your body stops. 30 mph is enough to kill. Based on your posts, I'll bet $50 that you crash within 1 year. How bad you crash is up to you. Ride safe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page