Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

California Motorcycles May Need Smog Check After 2012

7K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  TroyBoy30 
#1 ·
I came across this snippit of information today.. Maybe the Californian riders could tell us how this will affect them. I'm from the other side of the pond so don't know if you have to have smog checks on a car..

Apparently a State Senator has proposed a change to the current Health & Safety Code laws for pollution in California to cover motorcycles. What this would mean is that from 2012 any bike built after 2000 would need to have a smog check every 2 years.

So far bikes are excluded from this legislation, but Senator Pavley is looking to try and change this.

Here is a link to the text of the bill I came across - Link

#2 ·
Cars in California currently require a smog test every two years. It sounds like they are trying to add motorcycles to this policy. I live in New Mexico now. Cars here also are required to get a smog check every two years but this does not apply to bikes.

#3 ·
The cars-must-be-checked only applies after the car has reached a certain age (I think it's six years - ahh. yep it's in the proposed changes there). The BIGGER impact is on the testing mechanism - the machines they use for autos aren't cheap (I think they start around $26k; maybe a wrench-head can tell us), so there's a likely a broader financial impact than just what the legislation is covering (reimbursing local governments for enforcement/managing the program).

Thanks for "spotting" this, LoopyLee - I'll be sure to pitch a fit @ my local reps..

#4 ·
Seems to me it's just a boost for the auto mechanic industry removing and reinstalling the smog junk every two years for a day of testing.
Isn't that how the car modders have been dealing with it?
Are the Police equipped to test your vehicle on the road and ticket you for smog?

#5 ·
:plus1: I'll be doing it myself though.

They can't test it on the street, but if they see a catalytic converter eliminator you'll be given at least a fix it ticket.

The police here in San Diego stop the "tuner" cars and will pop thier hood looking at headers and exhaust and other mods making sure they are 50 state legal(Any exhaust mod here in cali besides stock I have heard is illegal). If not your car could be towed or if your lucky it's just a fix-it ticket( Fix the offense and go to court to have it inspected and it cost only $10).

Thanks for the heads up Loopy. This will truly suck if it goes through.

#6 ·
Consider this passed... We are the minority in California and most drivers/voters dislike bikers due to the :asshat: 's that make us all look bad.

It can be enforced similar to the way cars are. The spin doctors will claim it will be greener and help the economy.

#8 ·
I got this on my DMV renewal for this year. I've heard from a few sources that this is to possibly start getting people to stop putting aftermarket pipes on their bikes. The DMV will claim that the aftermarket pipe isn't DOT legal and thus won't renew you. I think they are trying to follow NY with this kinda crap.

#11 ·
I new bike on a smog check would pass with flying colors. Just like any good running car will. It will only have an effect on bikes that run poorly or rich or burn oil anything to that extent.

There is nothing illegal about off road pipes unless the police no that they are off road pipes. If it somewhere states all aftermarket pipes are illegal you will get pulled over and ticketed to fix.

A bike that runs good with an exhaust change would still pass those standard set by a mile. Bikes in fact run cleaner than cars do, and every car i ever ran on a smog check passed, Unless of course it was not running correctly.

You can try and stuff that bullsh*t of it wont pass without a catalytic converter on it, but its not true i have been smog checking my 89 stang and 86 camaro for years and they both have off road only h pipes.

#12 ·
There is nothing illegal about off road pipes unless the police no that they are off road pipes. If it somewhere states all aftermarket pipes are illegal you will get pulled over and ticketed to fix.
Out Traffic Code covers it with a simple statement "...vehicle must be as manufactured..." :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.