Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion » Mixing Bias Ply and Radial tires

General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2009, 11:45 PM   #1

Reputation Power: 6
Serendipity is on a distinguished road
Mixing Bias Ply and Radial tires

I need a new rear tire. I currently have the OEM Dunlop radials front and back. For my new tire, I have a choice between two tires (150/80-15, these are literally the only two tires I have found that fit) the OEM Dunlop radial (which handle like crap) or a Metzeler ME880 Bias Ply. The Metz has some fantastic reviews, but I've always heard don't put a bias on the rear with a radial up front. (can't afford to replace both tires right now, need to get back on the road) However, I have not found any conclusive evidence as to why other than "because I said so". Anyone here have actual experience or in-depth knowledge about this?

thanks
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-21-2009, 11:49 PM   #2
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 219
bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mixing Bias Ply and Radial tires

Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
Anyone here have actual experience or in-depth knowledge about this?
Nope, never used non-radial tyres.
As far as I know the ME880 is a radial.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
Global Moderator

bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute

Just checked and the ME880 is radial.
ME88 is bias ply though - METZELER - Catalogue - ME 88 MARATHON
Old 03-22-2009, 12:51 AM   #4

Reputation Power: 7
nixhex32 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Just checked and the ME880 is radial.
ME88 is bias ply though - METZELER - Catalogue - ME 88 MARATHON

the me880 also comes in a bias, we just installed a radial rear and a bias front on a customers stratoliner.
nixhex32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:54 AM   #5
Global Moderator

According to that website the only bias ME880 are the white wall and white stripe.
Neither of those list as available in 150/80-15 anyway so they must be talking about the radial?
Old 03-22-2009, 1:00 AM   #6
Global Moderator

Actually, I think you're right.
Some of the ME880's in the listing do have a B in the designation - very strange indeed. If Metzeler are happy to manufacture the same tyre in radial and bias I guess they must consider them to be interchangeable.
METZELER - Catalogue - ME 880 Marathon
Old 03-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #7

Reputation Power: 8
phantom45 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to phantom45 Send a message via MSN to phantom45 Send a message via Yahoo to phantom45

i rode a bike once that had a mixed tire set on... it was like tryin to wrasle a greased pig. not that i ever actually wresteld a greased pig to the ground. well .. maybe.. no i guess that wouldnt count.
phantom45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
DUX

Reputation Power: 16
DUX is just really nice DUX is just really nice DUX is just really nice DUX is just really nice

Have to research, but I don't think that it's advisable to mix them.

DUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
DUX

DUX is just really nice DUX is just really nice DUX is just really nice DUX is just really nice

Didn't take long....

Frequently Asked Questions About Dunlop Tires

and FWIW.. I love the Metz 880's on my VTX.

The OEM Dunlops from Honda were crap and hunted from side to side on any kind of grooved bridge or pavement. The Metz's showed no similar issues.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #10

Reputation Power: 26
HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold

I've heard you should never mix bias with radial. Hell, I don't advise mixing different brands, for that matter, unless the tread patterns are very similar.
HondaGalToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #11

Reputation Power: 7
muddysteel will become famous soon enough

Well, the problem is the handling characteristics. This is the same reason on a cage, you're NOT supposed to mix tire types on the same axle.. Due to the way the bias tire transmits load to the contact area vs. how a radial does it, you end up with different handling characteristics. On a bias tire, the sidewall flex is more readily transmitted to the tread, and as you know, sport bikes spend a lot of time trying to work the sidewalls!

Now, under load and under speed, this means you have one tire breaking loose before the other.. Which is why if you choose to mix bias with radial, the bias should always be up-front.

Here's a link from Goodyear that does a good job of explaining what goes on..

Last edited by muddysteel; 03-22-2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Added goodyear link
muddysteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #12

Reputation Power: 6
Serendipity is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by muddysteel View Post
Well, the problem is the handling characteristics. This is the same reason on a cage, you're NOT supposed to mix tire types on the same axle.. Due to the way the bias tire transmits load to the contact area vs. how a radial does it, you end up with different handling characteristics. On a bias tire, the sidewall flex is more readily transmitted to the tread, and as you know, sport bikes spend a lot of time trying to work the sidewalls!

Now, under load and under speed, this means you have one tire breaking loose before the other.. Which is why if you choose to mix bias with radial, the bias should always be up-front.

Here's a link from Goodyear that does a good job of explaining what goes on..

Okay, I just found out that the B designates that the tire is belted bias. (the - is just bias). Will that make a difference?

BTW I'm getting new tires because these are so freaking old. They are the original tires from the original owner (Dad). That makes them 9 years old. They are hard and slippery.* Based upon that, do you think a brand new bias ply will lose traction before a 9 year old, crappy Dunlop radial?

*Before anyone asks, I can only afford the rear tire this month. I'm enlisted in the military and my wife was laid off. The front tire will have to wait for next month. I was going to wait till my tax refund came in to grab both, but I just discovered a plug in the rear tire (thanks for not telling me dad) that has stopped holding air in above 20psi. So the rear tire comes ASAP.
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:36 PM   #13
Global Moderator

I think you need to go back to your original statement "the OEM Dunlop radial (which handle like crap)". If you mean _new_ Dunlops handle like crap then go for the Metzeler. But, if you mean the _nine-year-old_ Dunlops handle like crap then I wouldn't rule them out.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #14
Global Moderator

BTW - down here we have a legal age limit on tyres of six years (I think).
I have an '88 EX250 that has the original '88-dated tyres on it still.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:57 PM   #15
DUX

Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
Okay, I just found out that the B designates that the tire is belted bias. (the - is just bias). Will that make a difference?

BTW I'm getting new tires because these are so freaking old. They are the original tires from the original owner (Dad). That makes them 9 years old. They are hard and slippery.* Based upon that, do you think a brand new bias ply will lose traction before a 9 year old, crappy Dunlop radial?

*Before anyone asks, I can only afford the rear tire this month. I'm enlisted in the military and my wife was laid off. The front tire will have to wait for next month. I was going to wait till my tax refund came in to grab both, but I just discovered a plug in the rear tire (thanks for not telling me dad) that has stopped holding air in above 20psi. So the rear tire comes ASAP.
What's the tire size on your Magna?

I usually replace both tires at the same time and might have an 880 out in the garage with some life left from the VTX. Almost certainly the wrong size, but if it fits you can have it for the cost of shipping.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Search tags for this page
can you mix a radial tire and a bias ply on a motorcycle

can you mix radial and bias ply tires on a motorcycle

can you use a bias ply motorcycle tire with a radial motorcycle tire?

is it safe to use a radial tire up front and a biasply tire onthe rear of a motorcycle?

mixing a bias and a radial on a motorcycle

mixing bias and radial tires on a motorcycle

motorcycle radial tire and bias tire

motorcycle tires bias front radial rear

motorcycle tires radial bias mix safe
radial tire on front and bias tire on back motorcycle

radial vs bias motorcycle tire

recommendation between radial and bias motorcycle tires
Click on a term to search for related topics.