Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion » how to remove the airbox and install new throttle cable line

General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 8:52 PM   #1

Reputation Power: 0
ty929 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ty929
how to remove the airbox and install new throttle cable line

I am trying to remove my airbox on my 929 can anyone walk me through it and after that I am trying to instal the ne wthrottle cables I just got. And if there is anything I need to know before I take on this task... thanks to all....
ty929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-28-2009, 9:14 PM   #2
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 216
bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: how to remove the airbox and install new throttle cable line

Originally Posted by ty929 View Post
I am trying to remove my airbox on my 929 can anyone walk me through it and after that I am trying to instal the ne wthrottle cables I just got. And if there is anything I need to know before I take on this task... thanks to all....
Prop the tank up and remove the screws from the airbox lid (you'll need a long phillips screwdriver). Remove the filter and the screws in the velocity stacks. If you want to completely remove the airbox you'll have to disconnect the flapper cable and some hoses.
If you planned to remove the PAIR system or flapper this would be the time to do it.
And while you have the tank up pull the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator and make sure it's dry.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #3

Thanks for telling me I will be on it in the morning..why would I want to remove the pair system and flapper does that give me more power or something?.... ok my second question is how to install my new throttle cable wires.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
Global Moderator

bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for telling me I will be on it in the morning..why would I want to remove the pair system and flapper does that give me more power or something?.... ok my second question is how to install my new throttle cable wires.
You have to disconnect the PAIR system if you are tuning via the air/fuel ratio as it puts fresh air into the exhaust gas. I removed mine for this reason as well as to reduce weight and improve airflow over the engine.
The flapper is just a pointless gadget that many people remove.
Removing either won't give you more power.
It's a bit complicated to write it out.
Don't you have a manual?
You may find it useful to take a bunch of photos of the routing of the cables and the positions of the adjusters before disassembly.
Basically loosen off all the adjusters at both ends of the cables, remove the switch gear from the handle bar and disconnect the cables from the twist grip and throttle bodies.
Install the new cables the same way.
Adjust the pull cable first so it has a little freeplay to ensure the throttle plates fully close and then adjust the push cable to take up any further slack.
It can be a real pain hooking them onto the throttle bodies so you may need three hands, good light and some long-nosed pliers. I wouldn't recommend doing it if you've had a bad day or there could be lots of cursing ;-)
Old 05-28-2009, 11:12 PM   #5

Reputation Power: 34
CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

long needle nose pliers are a must and I also used one of those little pick hooks. I got these Craftsman 4 pc. Pick Set - Model CHP4-L at Craftsman.com
its like you need 3 hands but you need your fingers to be spaghetti sized.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:15 PM   #6

Thanks I. will remove the flapper and the pair system..thanks for the advice I will let my hsop do my cables, hey bro anything else I can do that would help my bike, like removing th pair system, my bike is stock besides a k@n filter. Any tricks you got...
Old 05-28-2009, 11:19 PM   #7
Global Moderator

Thanks I. will remove the flapper and the pair system..thanks for the advice I will let my hsop do my cables, hey bro anything else I can do that would help my bike, like removing th pair system, my bike is stock besides a k@n filter. Any tricks you got...
When it's time for a new filter get rid of the K&N and use an OEM or BMC.
If you remove the PAIR you will need to cap the ports on the valve cover or make some plates to cover the holes.
Old 06-16-2009, 6:47 PM   #8

How much play should you have in the throttle
Old 06-16-2009, 6:49 PM   #9
Global Moderator

How much play should you have in the throttle
Just enough to prevent it from binding - perhaps 1-2mm.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Search tags for this page

adjusting throttle cable on honda valkyrie

honda valkyrie throttle cables and housing
how to change a throttle cable on a gsxr 1000

how to change throttle cable on ct70

how to install honda ct70 throttle cable

how to intall tlotle cavle in cvr 600 1994
how to replace throttle cable 06 gsxr 600
how to replace throttle cable on 1975 honda ct70
how to replace throttle cable on 93 gsxr 600
removing right handlebar assembly honda valkryie
removinv throttle cables from gsxr 1000
show me how to install both throttle cables on zrx1100
Click on a term to search for related topics.