Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion » Taking a chain link out

General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2009, 1:19 AM   #1

Reputation Power: 8
FTP_929 will become famous soon enough FTP_929 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to FTP_929
Taking a chain link out

Hey my tire is as far back as it can go and the chain is pretty damn loose,is it safe to take a link or two out and re attaching? or will it stretch more and snap? there aren't any tight spots in the chain as i can tell. i just can't afford a new chain and sprocket at the moment
FTP_929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-01-2009, 1:38 AM   #2
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 218
bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Taking a chain link out

Originally Posted by FTP_929 View Post
Hey my tire is as far back as it can go and the chain is pretty damn loose,is it safe to take a link or two out and re attaching? or will it stretch more and snap? there aren't any tight spots in the chain as i can tell. i just can't afford a new chain and sprocket at the moment
You can take two links out but is there 16mm of room there to pull the wheel forward?
What gearing are you running?
If you have that much wear though I think you should replace the chain.
Old 11-01-2009, 1:54 AM   #3

i guess i can take 1 link out and just pull the wheel forward is that what you mean?
Old 11-01-2009, 1:56 AM   #4
Global Moderator

bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute

i guess i can take 1 link out and just pull the wheel forward is that what you mean?
You can only take links out in pairs. Since each link is 5/8" you'll need enough slack in the adjuster to be able to pull the wheel forward 5/8".
Old 11-01-2009, 2:23 AM   #5

Reputation Power: 14
nomad13RR is on a distinguished road

Not sure how you got the chain to where you can't adjust it back anymore, but it sounds like you need new chain and sprockets. Like BladeRacer said you can only take links out in 2's.
Old 11-01-2009, 2:24 AM   #6
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by nomad13RR View Post
Not sure how you got the chain to where you can't adjust it back anymore.
My guess is odd gearing - one off the front with stock rear perhaps?
Old 11-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #7

Not sure how you got the chain to where you can't adjust it back anymore, but it sounds like you need new chain and sprockets. Like BladeRacer said you can only take links out in 2's.
i had a stock sprocket setup for the longest,then my friend put a 2 down in the back sprocket but the whole time the tire was as far back as it could go
Old 11-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
Global Moderator

i had a stock sprocket setup for the longest,then my friend put a 2 down in the back sprocket but the whole time the tire was as far back as it could go
Two teeth down on the rear is where the problem is. Why would you want such high gearing? Put a stock sprocket back on and then you'll be able to adjust the chain properly.
Old 11-01-2009, 1:05 PM   #9

i road highway all the time so i wanted to use less RPM's but even with the stock sprocket i had the same problem i'm having now,i just have no money what so ever for a new setup
Old 11-01-2009, 1:06 PM   #10

Reputation Power: 158
Dangerous Des has a reputation beyond repute Dangerous Des has a reputation beyond repute Dangerous Des has a reputation beyond repute Dangerous Des has a reputation beyond repute Dangerous Des has a reputation beyond repute Dangerous Des has a reputation beyond repute Dangerous Des has a reputation beyond repute Dangerous Des has a reputation beyond repute Dangerous Des has a reputation beyond repute Dangerous Des has a reputation beyond repute Dangerous Des has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
You can only take links out in pairs. Since each link is 5/8" you'll need enough slack in the adjuster to be able to pull the wheel forward 5/8".
OK maybe a daft question, but why can you only take links out in pairs?

I only ask as I was going to try taking a link out on my old chain, but didn't bother in the end & just fitted a new one (with sprockets of course!)
Dangerous Des is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 1:09 PM   #11
Global Moderator

i road highway all the time so i wanted to use less RPM's but even with the stock sprocket i had the same problem i'm having now,i just have no money what so ever for a new setup
It's not possible for two rear sprockets two teeth different to place the axle at the same point on the swingarm with the same chain length. Your axle _must_ have been significantly forward of where it is now with the stock rear sprocket unless the chain is _very_ worn - in which case I definately recommend replacing it.
Old 11-01-2009, 1:11 PM   #12
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by Destructo View Post
OK maybe a daft question, but why can you only take links out in pairs?

I only ask as I was going to try taking a link out on my old chain, but didn't bother in the end & just fitted a new one (with sprockets of course!)
Very simple, they have inner and outer links and you can't connect two inners or two outers together.
Years ago they made half-links which did allow you to remove a single link. One end of the link is narrow and the other is wider but they would never cope with modern horsepower. You could probably use half links if you had maybe 25-30hp though.
Old 11-01-2009, 1:18 PM   #13

Dangerous Des has a reputation beyond repute Dangerous Des has a reputation beyond repute Dangerous Des has a reputation beyond repute Dangerous Des has a reputation beyond repute Dangerous Des has a reputation beyond repute Dangerous Des has a reputation beyond repute Dangerous Des has a reputation beyond repute Dangerous Des has a reputation beyond repute Dangerous Des has a reputation beyond repute Dangerous Des has a reputation beyond repute Dangerous Des has a reputation beyond repute

Very simple, they have inner and outer links and you can't connect two inners or two outers together.
Years ago they made half-links which did allow you to remove a single link. One end of the link is narrow and the other is wider but they would never cope with modern horsepower. You could probably use half links if you had maybe 25-30hp though.
D'oh I was thinking outer links.... never gave the inner links a thought! Silly sod.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 11-01-2009, 1:38 PM   #14
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by Destructo View Post
D'oh I was thinking outer links.... never gave the inner links a thought! Silly sod.

Thanks for the reply!
I do think it's a bit silly to insist on measuring motorcycle chain by single links when they can only be used in pairs but I suppose the rest of the chain industry uses the system.
Old 11-01-2009, 1:53 PM   #15

I do think it's a bit silly to insist on measuring motorcycle chain by single links when they can only be used in pairs but I suppose the rest of the chain industry uses the system.
I was thinking in terms of an inner and outer link as 1 link.... I was trying to figure out why removing one of these (inner and outer) would cause a problem, it was doing my head in!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Search tags for this page

can i take a link out of my motorcycle chain

can you take a link out of a motorcycle chain

can you take a link out of a used motorcycle chain
how to take a link out of a chain

how to take a link out of a motorcycle chain

how to take a link out of motorcycle chain
how to take a link out of motorcycle chsin
take links out of motorcycle chain

taking a link out of a motorcycle chain

taking a link out of motorcycle chain
taking link out of motorcycle chain
taking links out of motorcycle chain
Click on a term to search for related topics.