Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion » Front sprocket noise normal ?

General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2010, 9:29 AM   #1

Reputation Power: 0
Jacker is on a distinguished road
Front sprocket noise normal ?

I had my bike up on the paddock stand turning the back wheel to inspect the tread and as I turn the wheel the front sprocket is making a constant "snick, snick" sound as it rotates.
Chain is correct tension, lubed ok, no kinks or obstructions. Sprockets good, chain good overall.
The clicking noise seems to be coming from the front sprocket hub, which feels to have a tiny bit of horizontal freeplay when I pull on it. Centre nut is on tight. The bike rides fine.
Am I being paranoid, or is it normal to get a bit of mechanical noise from the chain and sprockets ?
Jacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-08-2010, 9:39 AM   #2
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 218
bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Front sprocket noise normal ?

Originally Posted by Jacker View Post
I had my bike up on the paddock stand turning the back wheel to inspect the tread and as I turn the wheel the front sprocket is making a constant "snick, snick" sound as it rotates.
Chain is correct tension, lubed ok, no kinks or obstructions. Sprockets good, chain good overall.
The clicking noise seems to be coming from the front sprocket hub, which feels to have a tiny bit of horizontal freeplay when I pull on it. Centre nut is on tight. The bike rides fine.
Am I being paranoid, or is it normal to get a bit of mechanical noise from the chain and sprockets ?

Does the chain have the minimum slack at its tightest point?
It's not unusual for the front sprocket to have some lateral movement.
I definately wouldn't consider spinning the wheel to be quiet. It's normal for it to be quite noisy.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
D.S

Reputation Power: 9
D.S is on a distinguished road

I noticed that a OEM front sprocket has some sort of soft padding on each side of it. Never seen the same feature on sprockets you buy elsewhere. I think I've read about people complaining about noisier front sprocket once they replaced the OEM with a non-OEM. Maybe the padding is there to eliminate the freeplay?
D.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Global Moderator

bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by D.S View Post
I noticed that a OEM front sprocket has some sort of soft padding on each side of it. Never seen the same feature on sprockets you buy elsewhere. I think I've read about people complaining about noisier front sprocket once they replaced the OEM with a non-OEM. Maybe the padding is there to eliminate the freeplay?
My understanding of the rubber buffers is for the side plates to run on to reduce noise. Can't say I've ever seen that officially explained though so it could be way off.
Old 05-09-2010, 7:39 AM   #5

Thanks Bladeracer and D.S.
I cleaned up the chain and sprockets today and really lubed everything.
Clicking is gone.
But I noticed the chain does not mate centrally on both sprockets and is biased toward centre of bike, if that makes sense.
Just noticed too, newish front sprocket has only 15 teeth, not sure about rear sprocket teeth. So not OEM setup.
Oh, the joys of being the third owner of a Sportsbike, I have SFA idea of the bikes full history.
Thanks for your help, much appreciated !
Old 05-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
Global Moderator

Thanks Bladeracer and D.S.
I cleaned up the chain and sprockets today and really lubed everything.
Clicking is gone.
But I noticed the chain does not mate centrally on both sprockets and is biased toward centre of bike, if that makes sense.
Just noticed too, newish front sprocket has only 15 teeth, not sure about rear sprocket teeth. So not OEM setup.
Oh, the joys of being the third owner of a Sportsbike, I have SFA idea of the bikes full history.
Thanks for your help, much appreciated !
Maybe you have a 520 sprocket and 530 chain?
That would allow some lateral float.
520 is 6.35mm and 530 is 8.525mm wide but it should be stamped on the sprockets and the chain side plates.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #7

Checked the chain : it is a DID chain. Marked 50VM on links.
The back sprocket is only stamped "40" so guess that is number of teeth.
Q : If stock OEM sprockets for the 929 are 16 front and 43 rear, mine are 15 front and 40 rear.
So what has that done for the gearing, 15/40, I have no idea.
Better performance ?
Does this affect my speedo readings as well, I guess it must.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:58 PM   #8
Global Moderator

Checked the chain : it is a DID chain. Marked 50VM on links.
The back sprocket is only stamped "40" so guess that is number of teeth.
Q : If stock OEM sprockets for the 929 are 16 front and 43 rear, mine are 15 front and 40 rear.
So what has that done for the gearing, 15/40, I have no idea.
Better performance ?
Does this affect my speedo readings as well, I guess it must.

Your gearing is almost identical to stock so there won't be any measurable difference in performance.
The sprockets and chain are marginally lighter though.
The 50VM is 530 so check that the sprockets are 530 as well.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #9

bladeracer, you are awesome with your knowledge ! thanks again !

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Search tags for this page
2008 cbr1000 noise coming from front sproket
front sprocket making noise

front sprocket noise

front sprocket rounded making noise
how to reduce motorcycle chain sprocket noise
is it normal for motorcycle chains to make noise
is spinning noise from front sprocket normal
motorbike chain went from normsl to tight to normal
motorcycle chain front sprocket noise
motorcycle chain noise coming from front sprocket
motorcycle clicking noise front sprocket
noisey front sprocket fireblade
Click on a term to search for related topics.