Front sprocket noise normal ? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-1969, 8:00 PM

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
post #1 of 9 Old 05-08-2010, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 10-12-2009
Location: Australia East Coast
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8
 
Front sprocket noise normal ?

I had my bike up on the paddock stand turning the back wheel to inspect the tread and as I turn the wheel the front sprocket is making a constant "snick, snick" sound as it rotates.
Chain is correct tension, lubed ok, no kinks or obstructions. Sprockets good, chain good overall.
The clicking noise seems to be coming from the front sprocket hub, which feels to have a tiny bit of horizontal freeplay when I pull on it. Centre nut is on tight. The bike rides fine.
Am I being paranoid, or is it normal to get a bit of mechanical noise from the chain and sprockets ?
Jacker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 05-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 50
Posts: 32,035
Images: 2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 227
                     
Re: Front sprocket noise normal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacker View Post
I had my bike up on the paddock stand turning the back wheel to inspect the tread and as I turn the wheel the front sprocket is making a constant "snick, snick" sound as it rotates.
Chain is correct tension, lubed ok, no kinks or obstructions. Sprockets good, chain good overall.
The clicking noise seems to be coming from the front sprocket hub, which feels to have a tiny bit of horizontal freeplay when I pull on it. Centre nut is on tight. The bike rides fine.
Am I being paranoid, or is it normal to get a bit of mechanical noise from the chain and sprockets ?

Does the chain have the minimum slack at its tightest point?
It's not unusual for the front sprocket to have some lateral movement.
I definately wouldn't consider spinning the wheel to be quiet. It's normal for it to be quite noisy.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 05-08-2010, 11:19 AM
D.S
 
Join Date: 07-16-2006
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 263
Images: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11
 
Re: Front sprocket noise normal ?

I noticed that a OEM front sprocket has some sort of soft padding on each side of it. Never seen the same feature on sprockets you buy elsewhere. I think I've read about people complaining about noisier front sprocket once they replaced the OEM with a non-OEM. Maybe the padding is there to eliminate the freeplay?
D.S is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 05-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 50
Posts: 32,035
Images: 2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 227
                     
Re: Front sprocket noise normal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.S View Post
I noticed that a OEM front sprocket has some sort of soft padding on each side of it. Never seen the same feature on sprockets you buy elsewhere. I think I've read about people complaining about noisier front sprocket once they replaced the OEM with a non-OEM. Maybe the padding is there to eliminate the freeplay?
My understanding of the rubber buffers is for the side plates to run on to reduce noise. Can't say I've ever seen that officially explained though so it could be way off.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 05-09-2010, 8:39 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 10-12-2009
Location: Australia East Coast
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8
 
Re: Front sprocket noise normal ?

Thanks Bladeracer and D.S.
I cleaned up the chain and sprockets today and really lubed everything.
Clicking is gone.
But I noticed the chain does not mate centrally on both sprockets and is biased toward centre of bike, if that makes sense.
Just noticed too, newish front sprocket has only 15 teeth, not sure about rear sprocket teeth. So not OEM setup.
Oh, the joys of being the third owner of a Sportsbike, I have SFA idea of the bikes full history.
Thanks for your help, much appreciated !
Jacker is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 05-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 50
Posts: 32,035
Images: 2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 227
                     
Re: Front sprocket noise normal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacker View Post
Thanks Bladeracer and D.S.
I cleaned up the chain and sprockets today and really lubed everything.
Clicking is gone.
But I noticed the chain does not mate centrally on both sprockets and is biased toward centre of bike, if that makes sense.
Just noticed too, newish front sprocket has only 15 teeth, not sure about rear sprocket teeth. So not OEM setup.
Oh, the joys of being the third owner of a Sportsbike, I have SFA idea of the bikes full history.
Thanks for your help, much appreciated !
Maybe you have a 520 sprocket and 530 chain?
That would allow some lateral float.
520 is 6.35mm and 530 is 8.525mm wide but it should be stamped on the sprockets and the chain side plates.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 05-10-2010, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 10-12-2009
Location: Australia East Coast
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8
 
Re: Front sprocket noise normal ?

Checked the chain : it is a DID chain. Marked 50VM on links.
The back sprocket is only stamped "40" so guess that is number of teeth.
Q : If stock OEM sprockets for the 929 are 16 front and 43 rear, mine are 15 front and 40 rear.
So what has that done for the gearing, 15/40, I have no idea.
Better performance ?
Does this affect my speedo readings as well, I guess it must.
Jacker is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 05-10-2010, 12:58 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 50
Posts: 32,035
Images: 2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 227
                     
Re: Front sprocket noise normal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacker View Post
Checked the chain : it is a DID chain. Marked 50VM on links.
The back sprocket is only stamped "40" so guess that is number of teeth.
Q : If stock OEM sprockets for the 929 are 16 front and 43 rear, mine are 15 front and 40 rear.
So what has that done for the gearing, 15/40, I have no idea.
Better performance ?
Does this affect my speedo readings as well, I guess it must.

Your gearing is almost identical to stock so there won't be any measurable difference in performance.
The sprockets and chain are marginally lighter though.
The 50VM is 530 so check that the sprockets are 530 as well.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 05-10-2010, 1:03 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 10-12-2009
Location: Australia East Coast
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8
 
Re: Front sprocket noise normal ?

bladeracer, you are awesome with your knowledge ! thanks again !
Jacker is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Search tags for this page
125cc atv makes noise when turn chain
,
atc front sprocket making noise
,
clicking noise by front sprocket
,

front sprocket noise

,
how to reduce motorcycle chain sprocket noise
,
loud clicking from front sprocket
,
motorbike noise on front sprocket
,
motorcycle front sprocket noise
,
my motorcycle chain seems to catch on the front sproket,, what is wrong
,
noisey front sprocket fireblade
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Play in front sprocket...normal? temperedtim929 Honda FireBlade 3 03-11-2010 3:35 PM
HELP Meee.... drive sprocket grinding noise :( Picante Honda RC51 10 11-22-2009 10:38 PM
929RR Drive Sprocket - reverse threaded or normal? curbaez Honda FireBlade 3 06-03-2009 2:25 AM
Normal noise?? temperedtim929 Honda FireBlade 3 10-01-2008 7:58 PM
I hear noise with chain and lower sprocket.......???? need help las1368 General Discussion 12 05-20-2008 7:13 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome