Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles

Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2013, 4:43 PM   #1

Reputation Power: 0
lilmilt1969 is on a distinguished road
leaking gas

hello,
I filled my tank on my cbr 600 f2 and came back two days later the tank was empty. no gas on floor, so I am assuming the gas leak down into the crankcase. what could be causing this to happen? do anyone have any ideals?
lilmilt1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-14-2013, 6:40 PM   #2

Reputation Power: 27
JNSRacing has a reputation beyond repute JNSRacing has a reputation beyond repute JNSRacing has a reputation beyond repute JNSRacing has a reputation beyond repute JNSRacing has a reputation beyond repute JNSRacing has a reputation beyond repute JNSRacing has a reputation beyond repute JNSRacing has a reputation beyond repute JNSRacing has a reputation beyond repute JNSRacing has a reputation beyond repute JNSRacing has a reputation beyond repute
Re: leaking gas

More than likely, you've got one or more stuck floats in your carbs - you can usually give a firm "rapping" with a ratchet handle or something of the like, to the fuel bowls, to "free up" the stuck floats, but if it recurs, you'll need to pull the carbs to clean/inspect at least the bowls/floats/float needles/etc.
Since you might not be aware of the danger, be sure to NOT try to start the motor, as you could get a hydro-lock condition in one or more cylinders, and cause damage - if I were you, I would pull all your plugs, and turn the motor over either manually, or with the starter, while the kill switch is engaged, to eliminate the risk of the hydro-lock.

Gas does eventually evaporate, and somewhat quickly, pending the conditions, but if you really have a whole tank worth of gas in there, even without reserve, you might have soaked your muffler packing with gasoline as well... it might be advisable to remove the muffler, drain it, and let it sit somewhere where the gas will evaporate away, or you might have a heck of a fiery situation in your can!

'93 F2 Mods - Phase 2
'93 F2 Mods - Phase 1

https://www.facebook.com/JNSRacing72
JNSRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 1:16 AM   #3
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 219
bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilmilt1969 View Post
hello,
I filled my tank on my cbr 600 f2 and came back two days later the tank was empty. no gas on floor, so I am assuming the gas leak down into the crankcase. what could be causing this to happen? do anyone have any ideals?

Failed diaphram in a vacuum-operated fuel tap, or the float valves aren't sealing (or float heights are set too low).
Old 06-15-2013, 1:31 AM   #4

Reputation Power: 21
ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of

Don't forget to check your oil and change it if the level has come up (from adding gas to it)
ghbzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #5

Well I have replaced fuel diaphragm,new plugs and bikke will not start now. The bike is turning strong. Do not know what to do now
Old 10-03-2013, 1:37 AM   #6
Global Moderator

bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have replaced fuel diaphragm,new plugs and bikke will not start now. The bike is turning strong. Do not know what to do now

Do you have spark at the plugs?
Is there fuel in the float bowls?
Old 10-04-2013, 2:11 PM   #7

yes, I am getting spark and gas at the bowl. I see some gas dripping from the bottom of the carbs.
Old 10-04-2013, 2:16 PM   #8
Global Moderator

yes, I am getting spark and gas at the bowl. I see some gas dripping from the bottom of the carbs.

The carbs definately should not be leaking. You did already rebuild them right?
Clamp the vacuum and fuel hoses to stop fuel flow, drain the float bowls, then try firing her on starter fluid.
Old 10-04-2013, 5:10 PM   #9

k, but I need to rebuilt the carbs? that will stop the leaking? why are they leaking?
Old 10-04-2013, 6:00 PM   #10

Reputation Power: 27
JNSRacing has a reputation beyond repute JNSRacing has a reputation beyond repute JNSRacing has a reputation beyond repute JNSRacing has a reputation beyond repute JNSRacing has a reputation beyond repute JNSRacing has a reputation beyond repute JNSRacing has a reputation beyond repute JNSRacing has a reputation beyond repute JNSRacing has a reputation beyond repute JNSRacing has a reputation beyond repute JNSRacing has a reputation beyond repute

k, but I need to rebuilt the carbs? that will stop the leaking? why are they leaking?
Blade just asked if you already rebuilt the carbs, not recommended doing so, necessarily... I think the point of his question, was to inquire about the condition of the float bowl seals, and float needle valve seats, since, had you already rebuilt them, you would know if these items were not "up to snuff".

Not being there, working on the bike ourselves, we can't tell you why they leaking, for certain, but usual suspects would be: bad float bowl gaskets, stuck float needle valves (this usually causes fuel to leak into the engine), or the T-joints and/or O-Rings that seal them, that distribute the fuel from the main line, to the individual carbs... one T-joint goes to 1 & 2, and the other goes to 3 & 4.

'93 F2 Mods - Phase 2
'93 F2 Mods - Phase 1

https://www.facebook.com/JNSRacing72
JNSRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
Global Moderator

We already explained this which is why I asked if you'd already addressed it.
The float valves are leaking, either because they're worn or dirty or because the float heights are not correct.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #12

Hello,
I have done all the things listed above, but now I have another question about the fuel tank. if I remove my tank and turn on the fuel, should fuel run out of the tank? i am not getting fuel running out of the tank. please advise.
Old 05-22-2014, 8:36 PM   #13
Global Moderator

Hello,
I have done all the things listed above, but now I have another question about the fuel tank. if I remove my tank and turn on the fuel, should fuel run out of the tank? i am not getting fuel running out of the tank. please advise.

Yes, unless you have a vacuum-operated fuel tap. If you have then it should have a "prime" position which holds the diaphram open. Otherwise you will need to suck on the vacuum port to open the diaphram.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Search tags for this page

2009 cbr 1000rr leaks gas

cbr gas leak

cbr600 fuel evaporation leaky float valve

cbr600f2 fuel drain hose

damaged seat in carb cbr600f2

honda cbr leaking gas

my honda motorcycle is leaking gas

why would gas leak out of the top of a 2003 honda 954

Click on a term to search for related topics.