Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Mid-roadtrip repair advice on a '87

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  shkkmo 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm in the middle of a long road trip and the bike started doing something strange.

I own a 1987 Honda CBR600 Hurricane that has been layed down several times, has had alot of work done on it, including a rebuild of the carby within the last year.

Twice yesterday my bike sputtered and died while I was lightly accelerating. The bike would not start initially (was not turning over) until I opened the throttle all the way with the choke closed (while not cranking the starter), returned the throttle to the idle position and re-opened the choke. The engine then started immediately, I rode the bike a couple more miles and then the problem re-occurred. Again the bike wouldn't turn over until I repeated the same process, at which point it again started immediately.

Other clues: This is a new problem, I am currently in the middle of a long road trip and have put 1000 miles on the bike in the last couple of weeks. The bike has run excellent up to this point, starting easily and without need of the choke, except in near freezing conditions.

I have only basic experience working on a bike, have limited funds, but do own the appropriate clymer manual and some basic tools. I was wondering what cheap, easy likely fixes I should try first, or if there were any simple tests I could do to narrow down the problem.

thanks,

Tyler

See less See more
#2 ·
I was doing some further reading and it occures to me that it might possibly be an heat issue having to do with gas expansion. It was 80 degrees and sunny on the day in question and I was only a few miles into a new tank of gas. Regardless, still seems like there must be something slightly wrong to behave like that, plus the gas mileage is still suprisingly bad and I'd like to see what I can do about it while I'm still staying with someone who has a garage and can offer me an alternate mode of transportation around town.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.