Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

98 CBR 600F3 trouble starting, bleeding power

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  JordanCBRF3SJ 
#1 ·
My bike just got out of the shop for some trouble starting at the end of last summer. It seemed to start up fine but after about 2 weeks, it simply refused to start. I took it back to the shop, they told me it was flooded out. They cleaned it up and it started fine. I took it home, and after about another week or two it again refused to start. I wound up replacing the spark plugs myself. It immediately started up and ran fine. The next day I rode it about 5hrs and it ran and started fine the whole ride until about a mile from my destination. Doing about 70 on the highway it just started to bleed power almost as if it was running out of gas, then it died on me. I coasted to a stop on the side of the road, and tried to start it but it gave me lots of trouble. After about 20 minutes it decided to start again, but then it did the same thing about half a mile later comin down the exit ramp. Another 20 minutes and it started and I managed to get it the 400 yards to my destination. It hasnt started since. I replaced the plugs today, and still nothing. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Next time it dies, open your gas cap to vent the tank. Then close it up and try to start it again. If it starts immediately, your vent lines are kinked under the gas tank. Its a very common assembly mistake after doing work to the bike.

It may also be a slightly clogged air filter causing you to run rich, and fouling your plugs.

#3 ·
i have the same exact bike. i had the same problem i had changed the stator and rectifier and it started up and worked just fine. you might have a kink like the previous reply said but i would check to see if it is oxidized. i would just replace it you can order from cycle gear from 140 and the rectifier for around 80. its well worth. im taking mine in to get the carbs cleaned and my jet kit put in and my idle speed worked on. but ya i had that problem and i fixed that stuff and it runs just fine and its awesome. your rectifier charges your battery while riding and thats why my bike wouldnt start cause mine wasnt charging. also check your oil levels make sure you didnt burn out your stator i was an idiot and did that. replace that you should be fine. its an easy fix

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.