Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles

Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
 
Join Date: 05-11-2010
Location: pdx
Posts: 3
Reputation Power: 0
tranoca is on a distinguished road
fuel leak

hello. first time posting. bought a 93 cbr 600 f2 in october. stored
the bike and ran it periodically throughout the winter. just recently after it had sat, there was a fuel leak which me and my mechanic friend diagnosed as bad o-rings on the t valve between the carbs. after that there were no leaks and bike ran fine. just yesterday we got back from a ride and fuel started leaking severly. turned the bike off and let it sit and turned it back on to see the leak but there was no leak to be seen and the bike was
running fine.

now when we noticed it was leaking i had just pulled into the garage at idle but the driveway is sloped about 20-25 degrees downward from the street. and when i say leaking severly it was as if you dumped 1/4 of a gallon of gas on the ground.

also note i replaced the float needles an inspected the carbs which were
very clean.

so my question is if any of you have heard of
this before? and suggested fixes? thanks for any help.

Last edited by tranoca; 05-11-2010 at 11:33 PM. Reason: adding
tranoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-12-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 48
Posts: 32,184
Images: 2
Reputation Power: 219
bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: fuel leak

Originally Posted by tranoca View Post
hello. first time posting. bought a 93 cbr 600 f2 in october. stored
the bike and ran it periodically throughout the winter. just recently after it had sat, there was a fuel leak which me and my mechanic friend diagnosed as bad o-rings on the t valve between the carbs. after that there were no leaks and bike ran fine. just yesterday we got back from a ride and fuel started leaking severly. turned the bike off and let it sit and turned it back on to see the leak but there was no leak to be seen and the bike was
running fine.

now when we noticed it was leaking i had just pulled into the garage at idle but the driveway is sloped about 20-25 degrees downward from the street. and when i say leaking severly it was as if you dumped 1/4 of a gallon of gas on the ground.

also note i replaced the float needles an inspected the carbs which were
very clean.

so my question is if any of you have heard of
this before? and suggested fixes? thanks for any help.

Full tank of fuel?
Could be the overflow or the breather may be blocked.
You really need to determine where it's coming out off to be able to find the source.
__________________
"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 2:51 AM   #3
 
Join Date: 05-11-2010
Location: pdx
Posts: 3
Reputation Power: 0
tranoca is on a distinguished road
Re: fuel leak

3/4 to 1/2 full. i guess thats the problem though.. it was a one time thing and didnt leak after we restarted the bike. ill check out the floats and needles tomorrow. i was just hoping someone else had a similar issue. thanks.
tranoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 8:51 AM   #4
 
Join Date: 06-11-2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4
Reputation Power: 0
djmerchant is on a distinguished road
Re: fuel leak

I have the exact same problem with my 1994 CBR900RR. AND I have tried the same solution by replacing the o-rings about 5 years ago. It seemed to have worked- for a while.

When most people hear the word "leak", they think a drop or 2. Not in this situation. Gas literally pours out of the bike. I could understand the leak better if it didn't stop.

Here's the routine- Every time I start my bike gas comes pouring out. I'll let it run for about 30 seconds and then shut it off. I repeat the process until gas no longer leaks out. Once it stops leaking it never leaks again until it it is shut down for a long period of time.

I admit that I have NO clue. My assumption still lead back to the o-rings. I figured that as they heated up and expanded they blocked the leakage.

Now I read that your bike was leaking AFTER a ride and that concerns me greatly even though I have yet to experience it. I do think it's cute that you referred to it as a "one time thing". I thought so too and I'm still scratching my head trying to nail down the cause.
djmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
 
Join Date: 05-11-2010
Location: pdx
Posts: 3
Reputation Power: 0
tranoca is on a distinguished road
Re: fuel leak

turned out the hose was cracked under the hose shroud so we couldnt see it at first. the o rings definitely needed to be replaced but it wasnt responsible for the huge gas dump. it was funny because it would only leak when the hose was flexing a certain way.

i dont know your situation but the o rings shouldnt have to heat up to stop a
leak. they either leak or they dont. but good luck.
tranoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 1:10 PM   #6
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 48
Posts: 32,184
Images: 2
Reputation Power: 219
bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: fuel leak

Originally Posted by djmerchant View Post
Gas literally pours out of the bike.
Where from exactly?
__________________
"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 6:24 PM   #7
 
Join Date: 04-11-2010
Location: fall branch, tn
Age: 38
Posts: 197
Images: 3
Reputation Power: 6
blacksheep has a spectacular aura about blacksheep has a spectacular aura about
Re: fuel leak

Ethanol in the fuel is eating the rubber fuel lines guys, check All the fuel lines....plus rubber degrades over time...dry rot even in the wet....Uv rays from the sun and all..plus extensive heat from your engine will dry out a rubber line............
__________________
Our House is Protected By the Good Lord and a Gun, and You might Meet them both If you show up here Unwelcome son.
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 6:43 AM   #8
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 48
Posts: 32,184
Images: 2
Reputation Power: 219
bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: fuel leak

Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
Ethanol in the fuel is eating the rubber fuel lines guys, check All the fuel lines....plus rubber degrades over time...dry rot even in the wet....Uv rays from the sun and all..plus extensive heat from your engine will dry out a rubber line............
That's why I'm guessing the diaphram in the fuel tap might be shot.
But it depends entirely on exactly where the fuel is leaking from.
__________________
"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 1:26 PM   #9
 
Join Date: 04-11-2010
Location: fall branch, tn
Age: 38
Posts: 197
Images: 3
Reputation Power: 6
blacksheep has a spectacular aura about blacksheep has a spectacular aura about
Re: fuel leak

hate to say it, but when the peep's online here ask for help, they get Very, very vage about the actual problem, leaving us to wrack our brains to figure out a solution...
__________________
Our House is Protected By the Good Lord and a Gun, and You might Meet them both If you show up here Unwelcome son.
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 4:45 PM   #10
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 48
Posts: 32,184
Images: 2
Reputation Power: 219
bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: fuel leak

Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
hate to say it, but when the peep's online here ask for help, they get Very, very vage about the actual problem, leaving us to wrack our brains to figure out a solution...

It can be annoying but I think that's just how it is.
If somebody has a clearer understanding of how to describe their problems there's a chance they're also able to diagnose and fix it themselves :-)
It can be helpful though to give us some idea of how confident they might be in fixing it themselves, which sometimes means the best advice we can give is to take it to somebody to fix.
The really difficult ones are when the problem is described with slang or incorrect terms - those can be challenging :-)
__________________
"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 6:16 PM   #11
 
Join Date: 04-11-2010
Location: fall branch, tn
Age: 38
Posts: 197
Images: 3
Reputation Power: 6
blacksheep has a spectacular aura about blacksheep has a spectacular aura about
Re: fuel leak

well put Blade, i guess i was getting a lil iritated trying to answer and help, but i understand now...not all motorcyclists have the ability to work on their own machines....remembering back to my first F2, that poor thing sat apart during the winter more than it was together, i have small containers like 3x3 in size with nuts, bolts and body clips that were never mounted back on the bike after my many exploritory tear downs....and nothing ever fell off...luckly me i guess....oh and nothing was ever really wrong with my bike. i was just a very curious kid growing up...i would tear stuff apart just to see what made it 'tick"...
__________________
Our House is Protected By the Good Lord and a Gun, and You might Meet them both If you show up here Unwelcome son.
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #12
 
Join Date: 06-11-2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4
Reputation Power: 0
djmerchant is on a distinguished road
Re: fuel leak

LMAO @ blacksheep. When I take things apart they never tend to go back together the way they were intended. Trust me when I tell you that I am not embarrassed by mechanical ineptitude. Sure I wish I had a clue, but it is what it is and I accept it.

Blade- I mainly asked the question here because Google led me to this forum because someone had a similar problem. Sure- I WAS hoping to find an "Ahah!!" moment and a quick fix. But when is anything ever THAT easy?

Believe me guys, I appreciate any help that you are willing to give me in fixing this problem.

I am assuming (once again) that the best way to track down the exact point of the leak is to remove and elevate my gas tank so that I can get a clear view of what is happening underneath to pinpoint the leak. I have had my gas tank off a couple of times which is the easy part. Do you have any suggestions how an idiot like me can safely elevate my gas tank so that it can feed fuel and have minimal risk of it coming crashing down? Or is there a better way to troubleshoot the leak? (If anyones says "with a match" so help me!!! lol)

Last edited by djmerchant; 06-14-2010 at 11:10 PM.
djmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:27 PM   #13
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 48
Posts: 32,184
Images: 2
Reputation Power: 219
bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: fuel leak

Originally Posted by djmerchant View Post
LMAO @ blacksheep. When I take things apart they never tend to go back together the way they were intended. Trust me when I tell you that I am not embarrassed by mechanical ineptitude. Sure I wish I had a clue, but it is what it is and I accept it.

Blade- I mainly asked the question here because Google led me to this forum because someone had a similar problem. Sure- I WAS hoping to find an "Ahah!!" moment and a quick fix. But when is anything ever THAT easy?

Believe me guys, I appreciate any help that you are willing to give me in fixing this problem.

I am assuming (once again) that the best way to track down the exact point of the leak is to remove and elevate my gas tank so that I can get a clear view of what is happening underneath to pinpoint the leak. I have had my gas tank off a couple of times which is the easy part. Do you have any suggestions how an idiot like me can safely elevate my gas tank so that it can feed fuel and have minimal risk of it coming crashing down? Or is there a better way to troubleshoot the leak? (If anyones says "with a match" so help me!!! lol)

I prefer to just tie up a meter of fuel line and fill that with fuel. It's enough to run the engine for a couple of minutes but you're looking for a leak that happens when the engine isn't running?
__________________
"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:38 PM   #14
 
Join Date: 06-11-2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4
Reputation Power: 0
djmerchant is on a distinguished road
Re: fuel leak

Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
I prefer to just tie up a meter of fuel line and fill that with fuel. It's enough to run the engine for a couple of minutes but you're looking for a leak that happens when the engine isn't running?
It leaks only when it IS running, Bro. I will remove the gas tank altogether. "just tie up a meter of fuel line and fill that with fuel"- please explain the technique???
djmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:49 PM   #15
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 48
Posts: 32,184
Images: 2
Reputation Power: 219
bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: fuel leak

Originally Posted by djmerchant View Post
It leaks only when it IS running, Bro. I will remove the gas tank altogether. "just tie up a meter of fuel line and fill that with fuel"- please explain the technique???

Remove the tank or prop it out of the way.
Disconnect the fuel line and reconnect a meter length of fuel line.
Tie or tape the end up to your ceiling or a broomstick or whatever else you have.
Fill the line with fuel.
You now have a very small fuel tank :-)
Be sure to plug the vacuum line if it has a vacuum-controlled fuel tap.
__________________
"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600


Search tags for this page

cbr 600 f2 leaking gas

,
cbr 600 f3 gas tank overflow leaking
,

cbr 600 leaking fuel

,
cbr 600 leaks gas from hose #23
,

cbr f3 carbs leaking from vacuum hose

,

cbr gas leak

,

honda cbr fuel leak

,

how to fix a gas leak on a motorcycle

,

international fuel tank leaks fuel from breather trouble shoot

,
leaking gas from t line on cbr 600
,
motorcycle fall petrol leak
,
why is gas coming out of the over flow hoses on a 1993 honda cbr 600 f2
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel Leak Out of Cap AEngineer85 Honda CBR 600 4 04-26-2010 2:27 PM
Fuel Leak: Need Help.. mightyolds Honda Cruisers 3 04-01-2010 3:48 PM
Fuel leak? Oops2low Honda FireBlade 23 01-30-2010 4:58 PM
Gas / Fuel tap leak? chakraist Honda FireBlade 17 11-04-2009 8:34 AM
954 Fuel Leak Problem......Help tdeal28 Honda FireBlade 8 03-18-2006 5:18 PM



1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109