Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles

Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 11:30 PM   #1

Reputation Power: 0
tranoca is on a distinguished road
fuel leak

hello. first time posting. bought a 93 cbr 600 f2 in october. stored
the bike and ran it periodically throughout the winter. just recently after it had sat, there was a fuel leak which me and my mechanic friend diagnosed as bad o-rings on the t valve between the carbs. after that there were no leaks and bike ran fine. just yesterday we got back from a ride and fuel started leaking severly. turned the bike off and let it sit and turned it back on to see the leak but there was no leak to be seen and the bike was
running fine.

now when we noticed it was leaking i had just pulled into the garage at idle but the driveway is sloped about 20-25 degrees downward from the street. and when i say leaking severly it was as if you dumped 1/4 of a gallon of gas on the ground.

also note i replaced the float needles an inspected the carbs which were
very clean.

so my question is if any of you have heard of
this before? and suggested fixes? thanks for any help.

Last edited by tranoca; 05-11-2010 at 11:33 PM. Reason: adding
tranoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-12-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 219
bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: fuel leak

Originally Posted by tranoca View Post
hello. first time posting. bought a 93 cbr 600 f2 in october. stored
the bike and ran it periodically throughout the winter. just recently after it had sat, there was a fuel leak which me and my mechanic friend diagnosed as bad o-rings on the t valve between the carbs. after that there were no leaks and bike ran fine. just yesterday we got back from a ride and fuel started leaking severly. turned the bike off and let it sit and turned it back on to see the leak but there was no leak to be seen and the bike was
running fine.

now when we noticed it was leaking i had just pulled into the garage at idle but the driveway is sloped about 20-25 degrees downward from the street. and when i say leaking severly it was as if you dumped 1/4 of a gallon of gas on the ground.

also note i replaced the float needles an inspected the carbs which were
very clean.

so my question is if any of you have heard of
this before? and suggested fixes? thanks for any help.

Full tank of fuel?
Could be the overflow or the breather may be blocked.
You really need to determine where it's coming out off to be able to find the source.
Old 05-12-2010, 2:51 AM   #3

3/4 to 1/2 full. i guess thats the problem though.. it was a one time thing and didnt leak after we restarted the bike. ill check out the floats and needles tomorrow. i was just hoping someone else had a similar issue. thanks.
Old 06-11-2010, 8:51 AM   #4

djmerchant is on a distinguished road

I have the exact same problem with my 1994 CBR900RR. AND I have tried the same solution by replacing the o-rings about 5 years ago. It seemed to have worked- for a while.

When most people hear the word "leak", they think a drop or 2. Not in this situation. Gas literally pours out of the bike. I could understand the leak better if it didn't stop.

Here's the routine- Every time I start my bike gas comes pouring out. I'll let it run for about 30 seconds and then shut it off. I repeat the process until gas no longer leaks out. Once it stops leaking it never leaks again until it it is shut down for a long period of time.

I admit that I have NO clue. My assumption still lead back to the o-rings. I figured that as they heated up and expanded they blocked the leakage.

Now I read that your bike was leaking AFTER a ride and that concerns me greatly even though I have yet to experience it. I do think it's cute that you referred to it as a "one time thing". I thought so too and I'm still scratching my head trying to nail down the cause.
djmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #5

turned out the hose was cracked under the hose shroud so we couldnt see it at first. the o rings definitely needed to be replaced but it wasnt responsible for the huge gas dump. it was funny because it would only leak when the hose was flexing a certain way.

i dont know your situation but the o rings shouldnt have to heat up to stop a
leak. they either leak or they dont. but good luck.
Old 06-11-2010, 1:10 PM   #6
Global Moderator

bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by djmerchant View Post
Gas literally pours out of the bike.
Where from exactly?
Old 06-11-2010, 6:24 PM   #7

Reputation Power: 6
blacksheep has a spectacular aura about blacksheep has a spectacular aura about

Ethanol in the fuel is eating the rubber fuel lines guys, check All the fuel lines....plus rubber degrades over time...dry rot even in the wet....Uv rays from the sun and all..plus extensive heat from your engine will dry out a rubber line............
Old 06-12-2010, 6:43 AM   #8
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
Ethanol in the fuel is eating the rubber fuel lines guys, check All the fuel lines....plus rubber degrades over time...dry rot even in the wet....Uv rays from the sun and all..plus extensive heat from your engine will dry out a rubber line............
That's why I'm guessing the diaphram in the fuel tap might be shot.
But it depends entirely on exactly where the fuel is leaking from.
Old 06-12-2010, 1:26 PM   #9

hate to say it, but when the peep's online here ask for help, they get Very, very vage about the actual problem, leaving us to wrack our brains to figure out a solution...
Old 06-12-2010, 4:45 PM   #10
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
hate to say it, but when the peep's online here ask for help, they get Very, very vage about the actual problem, leaving us to wrack our brains to figure out a solution...

It can be annoying but I think that's just how it is.
If somebody has a clearer understanding of how to describe their problems there's a chance they're also able to diagnose and fix it themselves :-)
It can be helpful though to give us some idea of how confident they might be in fixing it themselves, which sometimes means the best advice we can give is to take it to somebody to fix.
The really difficult ones are when the problem is described with slang or incorrect terms - those can be challenging :-)
Old 06-12-2010, 6:16 PM   #11

well put Blade, i guess i was getting a lil iritated trying to answer and help, but i understand now...not all motorcyclists have the ability to work on their own machines....remembering back to my first F2, that poor thing sat apart during the winter more than it was together, i have small containers like 3x3 in size with nuts, bolts and body clips that were never mounted back on the bike after my many exploritory tear downs....and nothing ever fell off...luckly me i guess....oh and nothing was ever really wrong with my bike. i was just a very curious kid growing up...i would tear stuff apart just to see what made it 'tick"...
Old 06-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #12

LMAO @ blacksheep. When I take things apart they never tend to go back together the way they were intended. Trust me when I tell you that I am not embarrassed by mechanical ineptitude. Sure I wish I had a clue, but it is what it is and I accept it.

Blade- I mainly asked the question here because Google led me to this forum because someone had a similar problem. Sure- I WAS hoping to find an "Ahah!!" moment and a quick fix. But when is anything ever THAT easy?

Believe me guys, I appreciate any help that you are willing to give me in fixing this problem.

I am assuming (once again) that the best way to track down the exact point of the leak is to remove and elevate my gas tank so that I can get a clear view of what is happening underneath to pinpoint the leak. I have had my gas tank off a couple of times which is the easy part. Do you have any suggestions how an idiot like me can safely elevate my gas tank so that it can feed fuel and have minimal risk of it coming crashing down? Or is there a better way to troubleshoot the leak? (If anyones says "with a match" so help me!!! lol)

Last edited by djmerchant; 06-14-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:27 PM   #13
Global Moderator

LMAO @ blacksheep. When I take things apart they never tend to go back together the way they were intended. Trust me when I tell you that I am not embarrassed by mechanical ineptitude. Sure I wish I had a clue, but it is what it is and I accept it.

Blade- I mainly asked the question here because Google led me to this forum because someone had a similar problem. Sure- I WAS hoping to find an "Ahah!!" moment and a quick fix. But when is anything ever THAT easy?

Believe me guys, I appreciate any help that you are willing to give me in fixing this problem.

I am assuming (once again) that the best way to track down the exact point of the leak is to remove and elevate my gas tank so that I can get a clear view of what is happening underneath to pinpoint the leak. I have had my gas tank off a couple of times which is the easy part. Do you have any suggestions how an idiot like me can safely elevate my gas tank so that it can feed fuel and have minimal risk of it coming crashing down? Or is there a better way to troubleshoot the leak? (If anyones says "with a match" so help me!!! lol)

I prefer to just tie up a meter of fuel line and fill that with fuel. It's enough to run the engine for a couple of minutes but you're looking for a leak that happens when the engine isn't running?
Old 06-14-2010, 11:38 PM   #14

Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
I prefer to just tie up a meter of fuel line and fill that with fuel. It's enough to run the engine for a couple of minutes but you're looking for a leak that happens when the engine isn't running?
It leaks only when it IS running, Bro. I will remove the gas tank altogether. "just tie up a meter of fuel line and fill that with fuel"- please explain the technique???
Old 06-14-2010, 11:49 PM   #15
Global Moderator

It leaks only when it IS running, Bro. I will remove the gas tank altogether. "just tie up a meter of fuel line and fill that with fuel"- please explain the technique???

Remove the tank or prop it out of the way.
Disconnect the fuel line and reconnect a meter length of fuel line.
Tie or tape the end up to your ceiling or a broomstick or whatever else you have.
Fill the line with fuel.
You now have a very small fuel tank :-)
Be sure to plug the vacuum line if it has a vacuum-controlled fuel tap.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Search tags for this page

cbr 600 f2 leaking gas

cbr 600 f3 gas tank overflow leaking

cbr 600 leaking fuel

cbr 600 leaks gas from hose #23

cbr f3 carbs leaking from vacuum hose

cbr gas leak

honda cbr fuel leak

how to fix a gas leak on a motorcycle

international fuel tank leaks fuel from breather trouble shoot

leaking gas from t line on cbr 600
motorcycle fall petrol leak
why is gas coming out of the over flow hoses on a 1993 honda cbr 600 f2
Click on a term to search for related topics.