Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600 » stator or rectifier/regulator on f3 cbr600

Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #1

Reputation Power: 0
akareem27 is on a distinguished road
stator or rectifier/regulator on f3 cbr600

How do you tell if its your rectifier/regulator or stator? I had a load test performed on my battery the shop said it was good.my battery is at 12.6 sitting,bike on and at an idle it was 12.2, no changes to the voltage at high revs but the bike will die if left on for 20-30 mins
akareem27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-25-2010, 11:46 PM   #2

Re: stator or rectifier/regulator on f3 cbr600

okay i think i just did a ac voltage test on the rr and i could only get readings from some wires.the top left yellow wire i got a reading of 002 and then when i reversed the wires i got a 010.the bottom red wire i got a 26 with the red prong on it and the negative prong on the ground wires.then a 000 when reversed. any help would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
IMG00035-20100525-2330.jpg‎  
Old 05-26-2010, 8:51 AM   #3

steakman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by akareem27 View Post
How do you tell if its your rectifier/regulator or stator? I had a load test performed on my battery the shop said it was good.my battery is at 12.6 sitting,bike on and at an idle it was 12.2, no changes to the voltage at high revs but the bike will die if left on for 20-30 mins
For a simple test, if your not super handy with a multi-meter, the three yellow wires from the stator should EACH push out some amount of AC current. The reg/rec will push DC current to the battery when rev'd. It shouldn't take much, maybe 3,000-3,500 RPMs to push about 13.0 volts of DC back to the battery. This can vary slightly, but it shouldn't ever be higher than 14 volts or can cause an overcharge. Doesn't sound like this is your problem though.

I've had to replace my reg/rec 3 times. I bought the bike with a dead one, and then have replaced it twice. Each time it was sort of like a light switch effect(or binary), in that it either did or it didn't push out voltage. I've heard where people have had one or two stator wires go bad, so it only pushes partial voltage to the stator, which causes the reg/rec to push just a small amount back to the battery, but not enough to keep it charged. I believe these cases to be the exception rather than the norm. In my personal experience, and from talking with some others, it has been the reg/rec and it was just plain dead.

I would suggest starting with the low-hanging fruit first and move up to more difficult testing. If there is a way you can start with a fully charged battery, it helpts to take that out of the equation as well. Set your multi-meter to the 12V battery mode and put each wire on each of the two battery terminals, pos to pos and neg to neg (if you get them backswards you only get a neg sign before the number so it really doesn't matter). Start up the bike and turn the throttle to about 2,500-3,000RPMs. The multimeter should either show 0.00, or it will immediately jump up to close to 12-13 volts. It helps to either have a third arm, or to have someone hold the multi-meter, wires, or crank or something.

My gues it that it will show 0.00 regardless of what RPM you rev to, the stator is probably fine and that you just need a new reg/rec. Stay away from the asian built ones on Ebay, they just don't last. They will work, but can't handle any load for any period of time. A battery that is low or partially drained will cause them to over heat and die. I bought my third and final one here and have been extremely satisfied with it: http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/.

If your reg/rec is dead, then you need to do a double check on each of the 3 yellow wires from the stator just to make sure they are pushing out AC voltage. I'd rather someone else jump in and tell you more details about testing that, because I don't want to tell you wrong. The AC from the stator needs to be handled with more care than the DC from the Reg/rec. I did a quick test initially on mine, but I always knew my problem was the reg/rec so I didn't spend much time testing resistence etc... on the stator. Hope that helps get you going.
steakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #4

I just did the 12v battery test you just wrote about and when i rev it i got a slight change change to the battery,the battery started at 12.3, and then when the bike turned on and 11.8-12.0 when rev up to 5,000 rpms 11.7-11.9
Old 05-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #5

I just did the 12v battery test you just wrote about and when i rev it i got a slight change change to the battery,the battery started at 12.3, and then when the bike turned on and 11.8-12.0 when rev up to 5,000 rpms 11.7-11.9
Your battery is definitely not being charged. Call me Captain Obvious... right? It helps though, to rule certian things out. Next I would just check resistence on your yellow wires and check for a short. I think my bike is supposed to have 0.2-0.4 ohms or something, but really you are looking for anything other than 0.0.

Time to test the 3 stator wires. You can do it with the bike off. Basically you do NOT want connectivity between any of the three yellow wires, so you want something other than 0.0 ohms. Check the ohms between 1&3, 2&3, 1&2 etc... you should have some sort of resistence. If you get other than 0.0 I'd say the odds of you having a bad stator are pretty slim and you can point the finger at the reg/rec.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #6

Well it was my r/r What I did was take the rr off my brothers f2 and put it on my f3 and it worked the battery charged when rev up. So went and got a r/r from aj cycles which is right outside philly for 100$,its an aftermarket one with the heatsink in it.

Last edited by akareem27; 05-26-2010 at 1:07 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 3:06 PM   #7

Well it was my r/r What I did was take the rr off my brothers f2 and put it on my f3 and it worked the battery charged when rev up. So went and got a r/r from aj cycles which is right outside philly for 100$,its an aftermarket one with the heatsink in it.
Glad it worked out for you! It seems to almost always be the r/r. $100 for a new one with a heat sink is worth not having to worry about it anymore. I think that's about what I paid for mine mine and I don't have to worry about it any more. Happy riding!
Old 06-04-2010, 2:36 AM   #8

kristoff is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by steakman View Post
Your battery is definitely not being charged. Call me Captain Obvious... right? It helps though, to rule certian things out. Next I would just check resistence on your yellow wires and check for a short. I think my bike is supposed to have 0.2-0.4 ohms or something, but really you are looking for anything other than 0.0.

Time to test the 3 stator wires. You can do it with the bike off. Basically you do NOT want connectivity between any of the three yellow wires, so you want something other than 0.0 ohms. Check the ohms between 1&3, 2&3, 1&2 etc... you should have some sort of resistence. If you get other than 0.0 I'd say the odds of you having a bad stator are pretty slim and you can point the finger at the reg/rec.
Im having a similar problem and Im hoping its the r/r
Im not to multimeter savy but i was testing the three yellow wires from the stator with the engine off as you suggested. I was getting ohm readings from each combination but they would all drop to 0 after a second or so. Is this normal?
kristoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 9:58 AM   #9

Originally Posted by kristoff View Post
Im having a similar problem and Im hoping its the r/r
Im not to multimeter savy but i was testing the three yellow wires from the stator with the engine off as you suggested. I was getting ohm readings from each combination but they would all drop to 0 after a second or so. Is this normal?
I'm no master of the multi-meter either, but you want the ohms to be something higher than 0.0 when you are testing each of the stator wires between themselves. You are basically testing to make sure there is no short or anything in the wires and that they are three independent wires coming from the stator. A reading of 0.0 could mean there is a short (or those two wires are touching further down the line).

I guess I don't know what it means if it gives a reading and then drops to 0. I would expect it to start at 0.0 and stay there if there was a short. If it is working properly it should stay at 0.3ohms or something like that. What you are saying is that there is resistance and then after a second... there is not. It should hold that resistance, and should not drop to 0.0. I would suggest trying with a different multimeter from a friend or neighbor and see if it does the same thing. I just don't have the experience to tell you with any level of confidence what that means. Anyone else?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #10

kristoff is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by steakman View Post
I'm no master of the multi-meter either, but you want the ohms to be something higher than 0.0 when you are testing each of the stator wires between themselves. You are basically testing to make sure there is no short or anything in the wires and that they are three independent wires coming from the stator. A reading of 0.0 could mean there is a short (or those two wires are touching further down the line).

I guess I don't know what it means if it gives a reading and then drops to 0. I would expect it to start at 0.0 and stay there if there was a short. If it is working properly it should stay at 0.3ohms or something like that. What you are saying is that there is resistance and then after a second... there is not. It should hold that resistance, and should not drop to 0.0. I would suggest trying with a different multimeter from a friend or neighbor and see if it does the same thing. I just don't have the experience to tell you with any level of confidence what that means. Anyone else?
Thank you for your response. I believe it was due to a bad connection down the line. I got ahold of a honda repair manual for the bike and followed it through the diagnostic. After finding another connection down the line I did the same thing over and got good readings indicating that it is my R/R that has gone bad. Ill put a new one on and hope for the best.
Thanks again.
kristoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #11

JA_P is on a distinguished road

I'm having a similiar issue with my '98 CBR 600f3. I recently replaced the r/r, bike was running great. Then a few months down the line, it started hesitating in 1st between 2 - 4k rpm when taking off (slowly). I figured it to the carbs needed cleaning, etc etc. So as a quick fix, since I didn't have the money to take it in, I ran some seafoam through it and it seemed fine again. Well, it started hesitating again recently. I didn't realize it was hesitating at first, I thought my back tire lost traction for a second since it was off the line at a stop light and I was kind of in a rush. About 30 minutes later (almost to work) I stopped at a stop sign, and so did the bike. Tried starting it back up and nothing, hit the start, no reaction. Due to the sun being in my eyes, I didn't realize the lights were dimming and the battery was dying. Tried push starting it, still didn't work.

So I parked it, picked it up later that day, took it home, and was able to push start it. The bike would die, however, when you let off the throttle. In my eyes I figured it was getting no external power (electricity/charge), so I figured it to be the r/r. I put the battery on a trickle charge until the part came in (this time with a heat sink). Put on the new r/r and viola, started right up and purred like a kitten.

Well today, I actually made it to work, and then it died. It idled for a few seconds then I noticed the rpms kinda bouncing, then silence, it dies yet again. Now that I've replaced the r/r and this was the first full-length commute with the new part, I'm starting to think that maybe the electric stator is bad? I might have a multi-meter at home (my room mates) but I'm no genius when it comes to electrical currents and moaning (ohms).

My question is, without spending too much money (I have very limited funds right now due to a long commute and having to do it in my truck), does my diagnosis sound correct? Any suggestions would be great. I need this thing up and running ASAP. I have an hour commute each day to work, 5 days a week, and my silverado drinks gas like it's mountain dew, and it's killing me. Thanks in advance!
JA_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 4:14 PM   #12

JA_P is on a distinguished road

Ok so I replaced my r/r and charged the battery, it seemed to be riding fine, and then it died again. Charged the battery at work (we have an auto shop close by) and was able to get it home. I did some research and 'assumed' it was the stator, still haven't gotten ahold of a multi-meter to check it. I did, however, pull off the tank today to check some of the wiring, and low and behold I find this (picture attached). This is a pic of the plug/wiring coming straight from the stator, so would it be recommended to replace the stator as well as the wiring harness? Or would just replacing the harness suffice?
Thanks for the help, I need my two wheels back!!

p.s. if the picture doesn't show just check out my gallery, I put it up there as well.
JA_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 1:18 AM   #13

MrBaits is on a distinguished road

Ok I know this is an old post but I just had to say something.
My CBR600 showed a problem when I lifted the tank... the connector that linked the 3 yellow wires from the stator to the reg/rect was crispy to say the least. When I mentioned it to my father (who rode Honda V65 sabres), he told me that that is a problem with ALL Honda's of that era and the simple fix is to cut the connector out and solder the 3 yellow wires to their mates (and it didnt matter what wire went to which mating wire...)
MrBaits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #14

jgservices is on a distinguished road

somebody talk me if the stator regulator is normal over heater in cbr 600 f3
jgservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #15

MrBaits is on a distinguished road

Ok not sure if that was a question or a statement but I was told by a guy who owns a bike shop nearby that the rect/reg's on the Honda CBR's have a tendency to overheat due to their location under the gas tank and above the engine...
MrBaits is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Search tags for this page

1991 cbr600 alternator output test

1993 cbr 600 f2 stator ohms test

1996 honda cbr 600 f3 rectifier voltage

1998 cbr f3 stator or rectifier

cbr 600 f3 bad stator symptoms

cbr600f dies when reved
honda cbr 600 f2 rectifier really hot
honda cbr regulator faults
i bought a after market stator for 2000 cbr f4 are they any good

rectifier f3

rectifier regulator plug melted cbr 600

what is stator output test on cbr 600 f2?

Click on a term to search for related topics.