Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR400RR » My bike keeps stalling/flooding!!

Honda CBR400RR Discuss the Honda CBR400RR in this section. This part of fireblades also covers the Honda CBR 250 and CBR 125.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2009, 2:41 AM   #46

Reputation Power: 20
ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of ghbzorro has much to be proud of
Re: My bike keeps stalling/flooding!!

Running on reserve will NOT harm your engine. It will, however, cause you annoyance when your engine sputters from lack of fuel and then dies and you have to push your beast to the next gas station.

Also, I think you are keeping the revs too low. It won't damage your engine either, but it will reduce the fun of riding.
ghbzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #47

Reputation Power: 0
Fishy83 is on a distinguished road

HELP HELP HELP!

Ok guys I finally got my bike out of storage to sort all the problems i have been having with it once and for all!..

Ok here is how it went. (not well!)
First of all I got the tank off ok but in the process of doing it, split the rubber fuel line connecting onto the tap.. I hope I can easily replace this!.

One thing I immediately noticed is were there are the two hoses with the fuel filter in between... (running from the tap to the fuel pump).... Well there was NO Fuel filter there! There is just a metal pipe connecting the two hoses together! WTF!?? I have chekced the parts book and there should definately be a fuel filter there..! Could the engine be badly damaged coz of this?

Also when I had the tank off the bike and I was draining the remaining fuel out through the tap, I saw what I believe was the problem all along!..FUEL Starvation! The fuel would flow when the tap was in the "Reserve" position, and not a drop would come out when it was in the "ON" position! The "OFF" position does what it is suppose to and no fuel comes out in this position either.. But why is it not coming out when it is at "ON"?

I checked the Tap and it seems ok.. clean enough.. But cant be sure..

Also I checked under to see the breather tubes and did you guys mean the metal rods coming out from the bottom of the tank..? I have yet to stick something though them to see if their blocked..

Last thing I tried was to find or remove the filter that is in the tank where the tap rod goes in.. How do you remove this filter? I saw the rubber washer thing and the part that I think you mean is the filter is a kind of off white/yellow colour.. Slightly plastic.. Is this it? How do I remove and check where blockages are?

Please help me out

Thanks guys!
Fishy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 5:27 AM   #48
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 139
LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to LoopyLee Send a message via Skype™ to LoopyLee

oh dear Fishy... hopefully this will help you
Originally Posted by Fishy83 View Post
First of all I got the tank off ok but in the process of doing it, split the rubber fuel line connecting onto the tap.. I hope I can easily replace this!.
Yes, they are easy to get hold of, your local Honda dealer should be able to order them in for you and they don't cost too much I'd get a complete set of fuel lines to be honest, if one is on its way out you can pretty much guarantee the rest of them won't be in good nick, plus you don't know how long they have been on your bike.

One thing I immediately noticed is were there are the two hoses with the fuel filter in between... (running from the tap to the fuel pump).... Well there was NO Fuel filter there! There is just a metal pipe connecting the two hoses together! WTF!?? I have chekced the parts book and there should definately be a fuel filter there..! Could the engine be badly damaged coz of this?
It shouldnt be too bad as there is one in the tank as well, but definately put one inline when you put the bike back together.. Again you can get one from your Honda dealer.

Also when I had the tank off the bike and I was draining the remaining fuel out through the tap, I saw what I believe was the problem all along!..FUEL Starvation! The fuel would flow when the tap was in the "Reserve" position, and not a drop would come out when it was in the "ON" position! The "OFF" position does what it is suppose to and no fuel comes out in this position either.. But why is it not coming out when it is at "ON"?

I checked the Tap and it seems ok.. clean enough.. But cant be sure..

Also I checked under to see the breather tubes and did you guys mean the metal rods coming out from the bottom of the tank..? I have yet to stick something though them to see if their blocked..

Last thing I tried was to find or remove the filter that is in the tank where the tap rod goes in.. How do you remove this filter? I saw the rubber washer thing and the part that I think you mean is the filter is a kind of off white/yellow colour.. Slightly plastic.. Is this it? How do I remove and check where blockages are?
Yes, the plastic white/yellow thing is the filter.. To get the tank petrol filter out use a pair of long nosed pliers and just yank hard.. It make be 'stuck' in because of gunge from fuel having settled round the bottom of it..

When you take it out you should see a rubber ring/washer type thing in there.. It should be about half way up the filter and keeps the filter in position over the rod down to the the fuel tap. I had the same problem with mine and when I took the fuel tap and filter out realised it hadn't been put back together properly by a previous owner and the rubber thing had pushed up inside the filter and was resting over the top of the fuel pipe, stopping any fuel getting out when the fuel tap was in the 'on' position. I had to put the fuel filter carefully on the tap, making sure the rubber thing hadn't moved out of position and then put the whole thing in to the tank to make sure it was correctly fitted when I reassembled mine.

Good luck, they are all easy things to sort out

Blade Rider

LoopyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 6:51 AM   #49

elektron is on a distinguished road

no offense but it might be to technical for him to get this right a shop maybe his best bet
elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 9:58 AM   #50
Global Moderator

LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elektron View Post
no offense but it might be to technical for him to get this right a shop maybe his best bet
Nah... The part with the fuel tap is really easy to do.. No point paying someone else to do something you can sort out yourself in under an hour...

Blade Rider

Old 05-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #51

Yeah guys iv been working on my own bikes for years so this stuff is straight forward enough. I took everything apart around the tank and everything was mint!! The inside of the tank looked like it just came out of the factory! i could see that that rubber washer Loopy was refering to was in place also so i didnt need to take the filter out..
All the breather pipes were fine and tap is in great condition etc..
Bike still dies at "ON" position..

I rode it with tap to ON when I put it back together and the bike feels like its down on power.. It rode fine UNTIL i take it up to 7000rpm+.. then in 5 seconds it looses power and dies. I pull the bike over, switch the tap to Reserve and it bursts back into life and runs perfect.. BUT due to it being on reserve doesnt have much power and sounds crappy.

I am bringing it to a garage here in Toronto were they have worked on 4 CBR400's before and have receiced great customer feedback overall.

I will let you all know what the real problem was..!

Cheers
Brian
Old 05-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #52
Global Moderator

BUT due to it being on reserve doesnt have much power and sounds crappy.
Mines no different when it's running on reserve or in the on position....

I am bringing it to a garage here in Toronto were they have worked on 4 CBR400's before and have receiced great customer feedback overall.

I will let you all know what the real problem was..!
It 'sounds' like fuel starvation of some sort, but darned if I know why if you've checked everything..

Yes, please let us know what the problem was as it may help others who come to the site looking for answers to the same problem..

And good luck with it, I hope they manage to sort her out for you

Blade Rider

Old 05-28-2009, 9:31 PM   #53

elektron is on a distinguished road

working on bikes for years

and you think running on reserve means less power?

think you best stop working on them or stop trolling!

i know we should be "helpful" but come on now
elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #54

When did I say "reserve" meant less power?? I said when its on reserve it HAS less power!. ANd iv been working on bikes since I was 15., im 25 now and have predominant knowledge of popular smaller capacity bikes and motocross bikes. This bike is very rare and very old. And I know how the ****** fuel tap works. Vacum operated when on Full (ON) etc. I know how it works.
Dealer I went to who has worked on 4-5 CBR400's over here said they dont know what the problem is (said it could be losts of things, low compression, clogged fuel lines etc-take your pick) and said they noticed the same thing I have... Bike will not run on higher revs-especially on "ON" position and cuts out in seconds. Bike runs on Res, but not well and there is a real lack of power, engine feels harsh.

Instead of giving any useful ideas on this thread all you have done is provide negative comments about someone you know nothing about.
Old 05-29-2009, 3:23 AM   #55
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 104
Surffrog has a reputation beyond repute Surffrog has a reputation beyond repute Surffrog has a reputation beyond repute Surffrog has a reputation beyond repute Surffrog has a reputation beyond repute Surffrog has a reputation beyond repute Surffrog has a reputation beyond repute Surffrog has a reputation beyond repute Surffrog has a reputation beyond repute Surffrog has a reputation beyond repute Surffrog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elektron View Post
working on bikes for years

and you think running on reserve means less power?

think you best stop working on them or stop trolling!

i know we should be "helpful" but come on now
Please read the posts more throughly before making comments like this everybody.
Surffrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 9:06 AM   #56

kaznad is on a distinguished road

Below are the things that may cause your bike to lose power at high speed

Poor running or no power at high speed

Firing incorrect
  • Air filter restricted. Clean or renew filter.
  • Spark plugs fouled, defective or worn out
  • Spark plug caps or HT wiring defective.
  • Spark plug caps not in good contact.
  • Incorrect spark plugs. Wrong type, heat range or cap configuration.
  • Ignition control unit defective.
  • Ignition HT coils defective.
Fuel/air mixture incorrect
  • Main jet clogged. Dirt, water or other contaminants can clog the main jets. Clean the fuel tap filter, the in-line filter, the float chamber area, and the jets and carburettor orifices.
  • Main jet wrong size. The standard jetting is for sea level atmospheric pressure and oxygen content.
  • Air bleed holes clogged. Remove and overhaul carburettors.
  • Air filter clogged, poorly sealed, or missing.
  • Air filter housing poorly sealed. Look for cracks, holes or loose clamps, and renew defective parts.
  • Fuel level too high or too low. Check the float height.
  • Fuel tank breather hose obstructed.
  • Carburettor inlet manifolds loose. Check for cracks. breaks, tears or loose clamps. Renew the rubber inlet manifolds if they are split or perished.
Compression low
  • Spark plugs loose. Remove the plugs and inspect their threads. Reinstall and tighten securely.
  • Cylinder head not sufficiently tightened down. If the cylinder head is suspected of being loose, then there's a chance that the gasket and head are damaged if the problem has persisted for any length of time. The head nuts should be tightened to the proper torque in the correct sequence.
  • Improper valve clearance. This means that the valve is not closing completely and compression pressure is leaking past the valve.Check and adjust the valve clearances.
  • Cylinder and/or piston worn. Excessive wear will cause compression pressure to leak past the rings. This is usually accompanied by worn rings as well. A top-end overhaul is necessary.
  • Piston rings worn, weak, broken, or sticking. Broken or sticking piston rings usually indicate a lubrication or carburation problem that causes excess carbon deposits or seizures to form on the pistons and rings. Top-end overhaul is necessary.
  • Piston ring-to-groove clearance excessive. This is caused by excessive wear of the piston ring lands. Piston renewal is necessary.
  • Cylinder head gasket damaged. If a head is allowed to become loose, or if excessive carbon build-up on the piston crown and combustion chamber causes extremely high compression, the head gasket may leak. Retorquing the head is not always sufficient to restore the seal, so gasket renewal is necessary.
  • Cylinder head warped. This is caused by overheating or improperly tightened head nuts. Machine shop resurfacing or head renewal is necessary.
  • Valve spring broken or weak. Caused by component failure or wear; the springs must be renewed.
  • Valve not seating properly. This is caused by a bent valve (from over-revving or improper valve adjustment), burned valve or seat (improper carburation) or an accumulation of carbon deposits on the seat (from carburation or lubrication problems). The valves must be cleaned and/or renewed and the seats serviced if possible.
Knocking or pinking
  • Carbon build-up in combustion chamber. Use of a fuel additive that will dissolve the adhesive bonding the carbon particles to the crown and chamber is the easiest way to remove the build-up.Otherwise, the cylinder head will have to be removed and decarbonised.
  • Incorrect or poor quality fuel. Old or improper grades of fuel can cause detonation. This causes the piston to rattle. thus the knocking or pinking sound. Drain old fuel and always use the recommended fuel grade.
  • Spark plug heat range incorrect. Uncontrolled detonation indicates the plug heat range is too hot. The plug in effect becomes a glow plug, raising cylinder temperatures. Install the proper heat range plug.
  • Improper air/fuel mixture. This will cause the cylinders to run hot, which leads to detonation. Clogged jets or an air leak can cause this imbalance.
Miscellaneous causes
  • Throttle valve doesn't open fully. Adjust the throttle grip freeplay.
  • Clutch slipping. May be caused by loose or worn clutch components. Need for clutch overhaul procedures. Timing not advancing. Check ignition timing.
  • Engine oil viscosity too high. Using a heavier oil than the one recommended can damage the oil pump or lubrication system and cause drag on the engine.
  • Brakes dragging. Usually caused by debris which has entered the brake piston seals, or from a warped disc or bent axle. Repair as necessary.
I din write any of this, this is all from a manual. I'm just listing it out here as I tot it may the help the TS.
kaznad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 1:28 PM   #57

cbr400rr newbie is on a distinguished road

hi all, just another new guy that know nothing about bike except for how to ride them, i just bought myself a cbr400rr nc29 and after reading this blog i went for a drive and dit 140kmph and when i stoped the bike stalled,had to wait a few minutes and had to push start it because battery was flat. so i want to know if any of you got your problem sloved and how, tried everything you mension in this blog.you guys sound like real experts so please help. thanks
cbr400rr newbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR400RR

Search tags for this page

bike flooding thendies

bike keeps stalling

cbr 125 stalling

how do i unflood my dirt bike

how to deflood motorcycle

motorcycle engine keeps flooding

motorcycle keeps flooding

my harley keeps stalling out on me. what could it be

my quad keeps floodin

what do i do if my dirtbike is starving for fuel

whydoes my regal raptor engine keep flooding
y does my dirtbike keep acting like its out gas
Click on a term to search for related topics.