Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR400RR » Main fuse blowing instantly all the time???

Honda CBR400RR Discuss the Honda CBR400RR in this section. This part of fireblades also covers the Honda CBR 250 and CBR 125.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2010, 10:38 AM   #1

Reputation Power: 0
steppinlevels is on a distinguished road
Main fuse blowing instantly all the time???

I have totally stripped my nc23 down and have put the engine back in and now ran the loom. As soon as I connect the main relay the fuse blows instantly.
I've checked the wire running to the regulator and that hasnt been earthed and the other wire going to the ignotion switch and that hasnt been earthed.
So the only two wires connected to the fuse arent earthed, yet as soon as its connected the fuse blows intantly.

Any suggestions?

It's doing my head in!!!!!!!
steppinlevels is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-31-2010, 11:01 AM   #2

Reputation Power: 5
clem3 will become famous soon enough
Re: Main fuse blowing instantly all the time???

Originally Posted by steppinlevels View Post
I have totally stripped my nc23 down and have put the engine back in and now ran the loom. As soon as I connect the main relay the fuse blows instantly.
I've checked the wire running to the regulator and that hasnt been earthed and the other wire going to the ignotion switch and that hasnt been earthed.
So the only two wires connected to the fuse arent earthed, yet as soon as its connected the fuse blows intantly.

Any suggestions?

this may sound like a stupid question, but did you try and earth them.
you have to have a short somewhere, it just a matter of finding it, slow i know but it has to be done,
clem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:14 AM   #3

Originally Posted by clem3 View Post
this may sound like a stupid question, but did you try and earth them.
you have to have a short somewhere, it just a matter of finding it, slow i know but it has to be done,

Earthing what? the two lives to the ignition and regulator? What will that achieve, its blowing the fuse before i even earth them.....
Old 07-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 134
Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Sideshow bob

Any suggestions?

when I had this problem I disconected everything at the connector plugs.... then one by one connected them back up... as soon as the fuse blew... I double checked by removing all connectors again and just connect the plug that caused the fuse to blow..

although I been told since this is not a good idea* I soon narrowed the possibilitys down and quickly sorted the fault

*dunno why
Old 07-31-2010, 11:31 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Sideshow bob View Post
when I had this problem I disconected everything at the connector plugs.... then one by one connected them back up... as soon as the fuse blew... I double checked by removing all connectors again and just connect the plug that caused the fuse to blow..

although I been told since this is not a good idea* I soon narrowed the possibilitys down and quickly sorted the fault

*dunno why
Thanks, although if it is a connector plug, what do i do then, make sure all the connections there are as they should be? what did yours turn out to be in the end?
Old 07-31-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 134
Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Sideshow bob

Thanks, although if it is a connector plug, what do i do then, make sure all the connections there are as they should be? what did yours turn out to be in the end?
if it blows with nothing plugged in it should be a short in the main harness... if its one of the plug cut it out and replace

mine turned out to be a switchgear solder point (just*) touching on the bars

*even loosening the bolt stopped the short
Old 07-31-2010, 11:41 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Sideshow bob View Post
if it blows with nothing plugged in it should be a short in the main harness... if its one of the plug cut it out and replace

mine turned out to be a switchgear solder point (just*) touching on the bars

*even loosening the bolt stopped the short

Will have a crack at it now, cheers
Old 07-31-2010, 12:58 PM   #8

Reputation Power: 17
RICK-ITFC has much to be proud of RICK-ITFC has much to be proud of RICK-ITFC has much to be proud of RICK-ITFC has much to be proud of RICK-ITFC has much to be proud of RICK-ITFC has much to be proud of RICK-ITFC has much to be proud of RICK-ITFC has much to be proud of

If you have just put the engine back in i would double check around all the mounts, check that you have not traped any wires, and go through all connections to the engine,
Old 07-31-2010, 1:43 PM   #9

Ok, when i connect the neutral switch it blows, so i've left that off for the time being, and also, when i engage the clutch switch, it blows instantly also.
What should i do?
Old 07-31-2010, 3:57 PM   #10

Ok, so it was the relay, it was sending power up and out of the clutch switch so engaging that creates the short, and the neutral switch runs off the same diode, making that short too. So new relay on order, hopefully, that does it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR400RR

Search tags for this page
1993 zx7 main fuse blown
bike keeps blowing main fuse
do motorcycles have fuses
fuse keep blowing in motorcycle
fuses on 125cc quad bike keeps blowing
honda motorcycle blows main fuse
motercycle blows main fuse
motorcycle backfires when replacing main fuse
motorcycle busted fuse
motorcycle keeps blowing main fuse

motorcycle main fuse keeps blowing

yamaha motorcycle main fuse blowing
Click on a term to search for related topics.