Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1984 V30 Magna

35K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  philhne07 
#1 ·
Anyone know anything about these things? I just picked one up for a winter project. It's in pieces, so at this point it doesn't run and I don't know any of its history. If nothing more, it'll be a learning experience :thumb:

#6 ·
#12 ·
Well, I picked it up today. Having bought it without ever seeing it I was a little nervous, but I came away a little relieved. Don't get me wrong, the thing needs a lot of work. Fork seals are gone, rear shocks need a rebuild as well, needs tires, chain, brakes, carbs are in pieces, seat is torn. The nice thing is all the major pieces are there. Most surprising discovery was that it only has 2100 miles on it :eek: :thumb: Still has the original tires, and probably the original oil in it. Time to go looking for a service manual :eyebrows:

#13 ·
They're awesome little cruisers and actually have a big following. You should be able to seel it fairly easily when you get it back together...

...speaking of.... Have fun with those carbs. :evilaugh:

#21 ·
with new boots and a little practice, it's a piece of cake. i can have a rack out and back in in 45 minutes, start to finish.

a few tricks :

-as soon as you have the carbs free from the boots, slide the rack just about all the way out the left side of the bike. supporting the rack, use a 90* screwdriver to remove the throttle cable bracket (not the individual cables) from the #1 carb body

-if you don't know how old the carb boots are, just save yourself the trouble by cutting the old ones off and buying new ones. even if you do get the old hard brittle ones installed, they will leak and cause headaches

-just before you're ready to install, boil the boots in water for about 10 minutes. makes them soft and super pliable.

-install the boots fully on the rear head, and at a 15* angle (facing aft) on the front head. insert the carbs fully into the rear boots, then push the front down while sweeping around the top of the boot with a small regular screwdriver. they'll drop right in. a little silicone spray works wonders.

-excessive force is not necessary. best case, you'll crush/tear a boot. worst case, you'll crack the airbox or a carb body.

some tips for the bike in general:

-locate the stator connector. it's a 3-prong plug on the 3 yellow wires coming from the stator. cut this connector out, splice in an extra 6-8" of heavy wire, solder, heatshrink. this connector is prone to melting.

-the V30 responds very well to gearing (short gearing)

-use a high quality oil and change it often. avoid extended periods of idling.

it's a Magna, not a Sabre, so keep it clean and shiny:smilebig:

#24 ·
I just recently came into possession of one of these. It looks pretty nice, but doesn't run like anything yet. I'm also having the worst time getting any information on it.

I took it to the salvage yard to match up some parts. We are lucky to have Slicks Cycle Salvage in Mason by the way. I got a new fuel pump, which wasn't functioning, but it still just starts up and dies. I think that I need a vacuum diagram for the carbs, but I haven't found one. If someone has a pdf manual or a place to buy a hard copy, I would welcome such information.

#25 ·
Mines a 1984 Magna V30 (capacity 500cc, Californian import - apparently the V30 relates to 30 cubic inches of capacity) with nearly 40,000 miles on it - in which time rear original brake shoes were still fine for reinstallation on dismantlement and inspection last summer - these things will look after you if you look after it. The Magna V30 has been described to me as a chain driven V4 version of Honda Shadow with which it shares lots of parts. I've experienced higher than expected chain wear despite renewal of sprockets and suspect electrics to rear tail light (both problems also occured with 500cc Interceptor I once owned which were slightly more common round here - hopefully not pilot error!). I would agree with previous poster advising changing engine oil at high frequency with quality - easy maintenance job for avoidance of much grief.

#26 ·
my father has an 85, its a pretty damn decent little bike. stock shocks make it ride like it is on a cloud, and progressive rear and front make it a lot more corner freindly and a bit more stiff. the 500 has a lot less issues with cam oiling from what I have heard and seen. check that front for brace for cracks, death wobbles happen when it breaks lol! and once you get it together try it out for a while, you may be surprised how well it pulls right around redline :) pretty good for a little motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.