Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1984 Honda Magna V30

Tags
magna v30
9K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  kinel2 
#1 ·
Hey guys, new here. Anyways. I'm looking at buying an 84 Magna V30 v500. The bike needs a total restore, so I'm looking for advice on what all I'll need to do to it and what anyone's opinion is on the old Magna's.

Just for reference, it's been sitting since 1988, has only 1300 miles on it, is complete as far as I can tell (although lots of stuff is disconnected). The carbs aren't frozen, but I'm assuming they're totally gummed up from sitting. The clutch seems frozen, since I tried to put it in gear and push it to get the engine to turn over and nothing happened, and the rear spark plugs are missing, so the engine has been exposed to lots of humidity.

I've been doing a little research on them, but personal experience is always better than reading about it. What do you guys think?

#2 ·
Sitting for 22 years without the spark plug - I would say the rings are rusted to the bore.
You are planning a complete engine rebuild?
I wouldn't pay anything for it. If I were going to restore it I'd want it for nothing and even then you will never sell it for what it'll cost you to build - I would be surprised if you can build the engine for under US$1000 alone. What do VF500C's sell for in good condition where you are?

#3 ·
I'd be willing to do anything to it that I had to... I'm not completely useless when it comes to wrenching. But a full rebuild? Hmm... from what I've read on these engines, they're a mechanical wonder, but a nightmare to work on yourself.

To be honest, I've never seen another VF500C around here. I didn't even know that Honda made v-4 engines before I saw this bike. They're asking 400 for it, but I thought if I got it for 250 then I might be able to make some use out of it. I'm only considering it though; I haven't said "yes" to actually buying it yet.

#5 ·
Not sure what happened to the link:idunno: so below is a couple of extract from it.

While both engines are nearly identical, it is important to note the Interceptor version is superior to the two because of its modified cam oiling passage ways. The Magna version does not have these and can easily suffer from lack of oil to the cams (top of the enigine) reducing reliability. Kits are available to fix this problem for the Magna. If you buy a Magna (any size, 1984-1986), check to see if it has the kit installed, if not, try to find, buy and install one.

Complex vee-four motor carried by adequate chassis makes for plenty of good times. Alas, as little as 20k caused clutch, camchain, valve and camshaft problems - high cost servicing is the VF's biggest vice and neglect turns out even more expensive, as ultimately the main bearings start knocking. Chassis and brake rot not unknown. Some did 40k.

Like Blade says cost's to restore will be a lot and you will be very unlikely to break even should you sell it, but is its for the enjoyment then go for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.