Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

got my bike running...for a day..

5K views 75 replies 5 participants last post by  IanDoohan 
#1 ·
Hey guys, finally got my undertail one wired up yada yada....took it for a ride. And let me tell you felt great since I have been riding a cruiser for the last week (motor went out in my truck :thumbd:) anyways went for a ride that night prob a 2 hour round trip ride without a single hiccup.

Parked it in the garage for the night next morning, rode to the beach, again no problems...then later I was riding home and boom backfire out of hell all power lost. Pull over, find out I somehow blew the main fuse by the starter selnoid...so I got a spare...stuck it in, bike started right up. Got about 3 miles from my house and did it again...but also blew some other fuses and lost all headlights...I replaced fuses and have been checking wires....still am really but was just curious if anyones had a similar problem? :confused:

Any input would help and be greatly appreciated thanks guys.

#4 ·
jqccbr954....its a 93 900rr
tweezy...yeah when i got the bike previous owner had someone rewire a good bit of it...i just need to get a new wiring harness and start over haha

but if it helps i havent had headlights since it happened...so i guess its just more wire chasing for me.

#11 ·
Not a lot of crazy electrical gadgets on the original 93 RR. If you had just finished up a tail section re wire, I would start there. The main fuse is only going to blow if there is an over amount of power going to it. Especially if it does it twice, I would say something is either arcing or grounding. Exposed wire somewhere. The reg/rec could be the problem, but will be hard to check without bike running. Here is a photo of how to check continuity on it from Hondas manual.
Text Tape measure Ruler Measuring instrument

#12 ·
Ian, I GREATLY appreciate the reply and will try that after this post lol

I have found out now that I have zero spark, thinking somehow my coils got fried that or ecu. I have searched all over, and I am not sure if I am test the coils correctly. If I remove the wires from the coil and test the two terminals with my multimeter I get 3.7-4.1 ohms. Now if I take one lead out and ground it I get nothing or a 1 on the meter. Also get the same thing if with the wires still unplugged from the coil, I leave one lead in the terminal and place one in the plug boot. I get a 1 so no cont. I dont know if thats the correct way to test my coils but if someone could give me a little enlightenment I would be very greatful.

Got my headlights back by the way....they blew. and fund out what happened the connection by the starter selnoid got hot and melted then two of those wires touched. Pulled the wires, crimped and reconnected. Does it matter where they go exactly? Been reading people saying it doesnt, but Im pretty sure they are in the correct placement anyways.
Thanks again guys.

#14 ·
In a thread called CBR 900 RR SC33..........by martin_l I posted the correct procedure and specs on how to test the coils. Page 7 post #97 is the scan of the manual. I would post a link to it but don't know how! hahahahaha The 96 coils should work, I would imagine.

#23 ·
Have you made sure that other switches such as side stand and clutch are bypassed as well? Jump everything to make sure they're not giving you a false no spark condition. If everything had continuity then I would have to go with the ICM being faulty. Any chance of getting a known good unit to test? Does it still turn over when you thumb the starter?

#25 ·
just browsing through some threads and might have found my problem.
my neutral light isnt coming on, so if read correctly my cdi doesnt know its in neutral therefore...no spark?

does that sound logical bc mine i might kick myself for not thinking about that.
unfort guy before me took out the gauges...i have some from a 99 but wasnt sure how to switch those over.
thanks again

#26 ·
Wow, yeah that will play a part in this. The neutral switch runs with the clutch switch, clutch diode and the ICM. If your switch or clutch diode is boogered up then it could be cutting spark somehow. Pull the clutch in with the side stand up and see if she fires up. Pulling the clutch in allows you to start the bike while in gear, so who knows. Give it a shot.

#27 ·
yeah, well i know my clutch switch is bad but thats easy enough to jump. anyone wire out the side stand switch? ill keep looking around, but its 3 wires not two so dont wanna cut it and mess it up. having enough troubles as is.

so as far as this neutral light/switch anyway to jump that? idk what made me lose the light honestly but it certainly isnt on....going to try some more testing later.

thanks again

#29 ·
Tommy, do you have a pink wire coming out of the ICM? If so you may have a diode under the ignition cylinder. If its blown it might kill your spark. I'm not sure if it kills the starter or just spark. If you don't have the pink wire then it doesn't matter.

#30 ·
yea that lil diode will cut spark from what I understand somehow. guy posted not long ago about a buggy with cbr motor etc and no spark cause the diode poped or his new ignition had wrong diode. but said he went to radio shack picked it up and easy relatively easy fix once done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.