Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

954 No Spark

6K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  nigelrb 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have just turned my 954 into a track bike, got her finished only to find she has no spark and won't run...Fuel pump primes ok and i'm getting fuel through injectors...just no spark!

What it has fitted:

It has a Bazzaz unit on it which it was running fine with before doing the conversion...

I have since, removed all lights and indicators and removed wires from the harness....(does this effect the ECM for spark??)

I have fitted a Healtech Exhaust Servo Eliminator Redirect Notice

I have fitted a universal race start switch Redirect Notice

I have checked the pink wire from the Immobiliser and only get about 0.5v-1v

I have zero voltage at the coils, 12v on the Black/White wire from coils right through to ECM

Battery has been conditioned on a Optimate at all times and shows Green OK...12.7v

MIL is flashing 19 blinks....although this indicates faulty IPG Ignition Pulse Generator has been checked with Multimeter in AC mode on yellow and yellow/white wire from red plug and I'm getting 1.1v on cranking the engine which should be ok...I don't have a Voltage Peak Adapter but is this method ok?

Bank angle sensor is working ok.

Cam pulse generator has no continuity to ground...all ok.

Split Ignition apart to check diode but there isn't one fitted....i've just read that the HISS bikes don't have a diode? Ignition is working fine 12v output on both red wires...

What could be causing the lack of spark guys? Pink wire should have 9v, what could cause this? IPG? Ignition barrel? HISS?

Any Help would be appreciated...Ive spent thousands of pounds upgrading my 954 for the start of this season and desperate to get it running for Catalunya next month!

Thanks,

Mike.

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi there!

I know this is a long shot since it's been 4 years on this but let's give it a try.
Did you manage to sort what was wrong?
I'm having EXACTLY the same issue on my -02 954rr
It's a HISS version.
Fuel pump primes ok but no spark.
Coils show initial voltage ~12v.
Pink wire coming from the HISS thingy shows under 1v and when cranked goes up to 2-3v

#5 ·
Hi, I really can't remember what the actual problem was, but I think it could have been the earth block within the wiring harness had corroded causing a faulty earth. The block is wrapped in black tape within the front area of the bike and once I unwrapped it, opened it up I found water had made its way in and caused a build up of corrosion. Will have another think back but worth a try mate.

Cheers,

Mike.

#7 ·
Ok thanks mate! Gotta check that loom thoroughly!
Yes the sideplates been opened recently by previous owner.
He had totalled the engine and swapped whole upstairs from a donor bike.
Never got it to fire after that so he selled it to me.
Ignition pulse "impeller" or what would you call it looks fine but when I check with multimeter the ignition pulse sensor only gives max 0.1v.
Same thing or actually lower voltage happens on camshaft sensor!
I'm having hard time to believe they are both gone bad. But I quess it might be possible since the downstairs sensor is original and cam sensor is probably from the donor engine.
Or do I need that "peak voltage adaptor" to correctly measure it. Checked the voltages with 2 multimeters and never went above 0.1v...

#9 ·
Doesn't work. Just tried that. This is a european HISS model. That infamous pink wire comes from the HISS antenna unlike in us bikes ignition base where you guys have the zener diode thingy. Pink wire gives 0.3v power on and 2-3v when cranking. I have new crank impulse and camshaft sensor coming in next week. We'll see... *praying*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.