Lights blink when using turn signal (-03 954) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-10-2015, 6:15 AM Thread Starter
ASA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Lights blink when using turn signal (-03 954)

Is this normal or do I have a bad ground somewhere or a faulty battery? The battery is new and fully charged. Does this engine on and engine off.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-10-2015, 7:10 AM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 41

Re: Lights blink when using turn signal (-03 954)

my guess is that you have a not-the-best ground somewhere... but does it only do that at idlespeed? do you have any aftermarket or auxillary lighting/bulbs? I suppose it could be early signs of a potentially failing/weak stator and/or regulator/rectifier... but I'm just spitballing here. a multimeter with service manual in hand will give you more definitive results

I hope someone with more electrical knowledge chimes in... good luck and let us know what you find out.

"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #3 of 16 Old 09-10-2015, 8:19 AM
Supporting Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by unslow1 View Post
my guess is that you have a not-the-best ground somewhere... but does it only do that at idlespeed? do you have any aftermarket or auxillary lighting/bulbs? I suppose it could be early signs of a potentially failing/weak stator and/or regulator/rectifier... but I'm just spitballing here. a multimeter with service manual in hand will give you more definitive results

I hope someone with more electrical knowledge chimes in... good luck and let us know what you find out.
I agree with UNSLOW.

Have you upgraded or improved the connections on the regulator/rectifier? That could be dragging the whole system down. There's a crapload of threads on this. Also, are the turn signals LED's and do you have resistors or load simulators on them? They may be too big. Check your main ground on the motor too. Whenever Aluminum is mated to copper on a electrical connection tiny little crystals can form in between them like sand. You ever unscrew a light bulb and it feels like sand is in the socket, its because of the aluminum base. Just clean and use some connection grease like comes with light bulbs at the auto parts store. Just a thin coat will do.

Thank a veteran for their service.
They have given life and limb for our country.
The least we can do is shake their hand.
Semper Fi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 09-11-2015, 2:29 AM Thread Starter
ASA

Thanks a lot for your help! The reason I noticed this blinking is because I had an little accident with a bird, a big bird. It cracked my head light, broke most of the fasteners from the light and the front cowl.

Quote:

I could have a broken wire, because of the bird and that causes a bad ground. It blinks even with 5000 rpm.

Turn signals are aftermarket halogens, but they have been there for the last five years and haven't noticed any blinking before.

Stator has been changed this summer, it is handmade, so it should be fine. The voltage-output was within the specs. R/R was also changed to a new Hi-power 'Series' model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog4evr View Post
I agree with UNSLOW.

Have you upgraded or improved the connections on the regulator/rectifier? That could be dragging the whole system down. There's a crapload of threads on this. Also, are the turn signals LED's and do you have resistors or load simulators on them? They may be too big. Check your main ground on the motor too. Whenever Aluminum is mated to copper on a electrical connection tiny little crystals can form in between them like sand. You ever unscrew a light bulb and it feels like sand is in the socket, its because of the aluminum base. Just clean and use some connection grease like comes with light bulbs at the auto parts store. Just a thin coat will do.
I had to make a little extension to the R/R-cable. Thank you! I have to check that.

Turn signals are halogens, so no resistors needed.

Main ground has been tightened, but will do it again and grease it also.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-19-2017, 3:14 AM Thread Starter
ASA

Still having this issue.

Haven't had much time to dig into it, but it here's something.
- tested with only front blinkers, still dims the lights
- tested with only rear blinkers, still dims
- all the rear lights off, still dims
- charging is 13,5 - 14,5 V
- opened and cleaned the motor grounding point
- cleaned the grounding block behind the headlight
- head light changed to brand new
- cleaned blinkers

Could this be battery related? It's 2 years old Yuasa.

Plans how to proceed:
1. check the big main ground cable from battery
2. check the alternator output voltaget
3. what else?

I have the tank and the rear fairing off atm.

If I don't find anything alarming, I'm planning to put it back together and ride the rest of the summer with a little disco. Or is this a bad idea?
post #6 of 16 Old 06-19-2017, 4:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5

Have you inspected the full length of each turn signal wire to look for anything abnormal on the wiring ?

-'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
-'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC-51

-'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR
(sold)
-'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold)
post #7 of 16 Old 06-19-2017, 4:37 AM Thread Starter
ASA

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRA90GT View Post
Have you inspected the full length of each turn signal wire to look for anything abnormal on the wiring ?
No, I haven't. Just the first 30 cm. That would take more time and would be nice to do on winter when there's no rush.

On another forum they suggested that I should check the instrument cluster's wirings.

edit. Here's the wiring diagram: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o90vih19sm...opean.jpg?dl=0

Last edited by ASA; 06-19-2017 at 4:48 AM. Reason: added wiring diagram
post #8 of 16 Old 06-19-2017, 11:17 AM
Heeza Y Zasch

I have had similar issues with both my RR2 & RR3. Other than following @COBRA90GT 's advice (which I highly recommend because you could uncover some issues like these):

There is also a 2nd "common" ground beneath the seat and under the ECM cover. Hopefully it doesn't look like my RR3's did

IanDoohan likes this.

"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #9 of 16 Old 06-19-2017, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
ASA

Quote:
I have had similar issues with both my RR2 & RR3.
There is also a 2nd "common" ground beneath the seat and under the ECM cover. Hopefully it doesn't look like my RR3's did
This is just in front of the battery?
post #10 of 16 Old 06-19-2017, 11:25 AM
Heeza Y Zasch

yes.

post #11 of 16 Old 06-19-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
ASA

Quote:
yes.
Thanks! Will check it tomorrow too.

What did happen to your wires? Overheated, but why?
post #12 of 16 Old 06-19-2017, 11:55 AM
Heeza Y Zasch

dunno but I "chased" the issue for 2+ years on my RR2 before tearing all the way into it and finding the first two images. The fact that both of my 954s spent some time on their side surely didn't help.

I now practice what I post and keep my connectors clean & well lubricated to ensure good contact which minimizes the possibility of overheated wiring.
IanDoohan likes this.

post #13 of 16 Old 06-19-2017, 1:16 PM
President Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 74

Garage

I know you said you had the halogen bulbs in there prior to the issue, but is there any way you can go back to OEM bulbs and see if it goes away?

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #14 of 16 Old 06-19-2017, 1:57 PM Thread Starter
ASA

Quote:
dunno but I "chased" the issue for 2+ years on my RR2 before tearing all the way into it and finding the first two images. The fact that both of my 954s spent some time on their side surely didn't help.

I now practice what I post and keep my connectors clean & well lubricated to ensure good contact which minimizes the possibility of overheated wiring.
Electricity is mysterious I also bought contact cleaner and some contact protector. Using them on all the connectors that I'm opening from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
I know you said you had the halogen bulbs in there prior to the issue, but is there any way you can go back to OEM bulbs and see if it goes away?
Unfortunately not, the bike came with aftermarket blinkers. But going to change them next winter to new ones. They are now over five years old and have seen better days.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-19-2017, 2:29 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA View Post
Electricity is mysterious I also bought contact cleaner and some contact protector. Using them on all the connectors that I'm opening from now on.
Only if it says Lucas on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA View Post
Unfortunately not, the bike came with aftermarket blinkers. But going to change them next winter to new ones. They are now over five years old and have seen better days.
Do you know what the wattage of them are? I wonder if an electronic flasher would solve your issue.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page