Fireblade 954RR help needed! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 81 Old 06-28-2016, 7:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 2

Fireblade 954RR help needed!

Hello guys i seem to have encountered a problem with a bike i purchased not too long ago that was purchased as a 1 owner from new.
The owner kept it clean and serviced by means of his local dealer and used the bike for touring all over abroad. He seemed a sensible chap who kept the bike more in the upright position as the tyres told the tail -squared off. Will be replacing these very soon.

Any how the problem i am having is when i first got the bike i took it for a good blast and probably took it past its usual strolling speed, I noticed when i got back from that days ride that knocking was apparent when sat there idling on start. I assumed it could be the exhaust HTEC valve so left it at that. The more i rode it the more apparent it was i was getting popping on deceleration like misfiring. A few days later i also noticed that it feels under powered even though it does redline through the gears. It refuses to go past 150mph like it hits a wall - private strip road of course ,

I am in the process of waiting for some bits to come so i can give the bike a compression test, I did buy 1 the other day but it does not have the straight piece i needed but rather the coat hanger type which refused to tighten up without twisting the line. I have also purchased a leak down test kit also.

I did notice when investigating that cylinder 4 coil was loose and would not click into place like the other 3 did. I have ordered a new coil which should be here today or tomorrow. i have also taken pics of the plugs which are the iridium range so see what you guys think. I sure do feel i am loosing compression in 3 and 4 that's for sure.

Also 1 last thing that i need to know, When i turn the bike over it hesitates for a split second or 2 like it builds up pressure rather than a quick instant fire up. This is why i feel the compression is poor.

A lot of thoughts and questions i know. Thanks for taking the time in reading this guys,

Ill look forward to your thoughts and advice.

Last edited by davebelcher; 06-28-2016 at 7:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 06-28-2016, 7:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Re: Fireblade 954RR help needed!

Sure you haven't an exhaust leak anywhere? Popping on the overun/decel, sounds like that. Where is the knocking coming from? Got a vid?
Plugs look fine to me.
post #3 of 81 Old 06-28-2016, 7:40 AM Thread Starter

Possible cause?

Posty just dropped me off 4 spare coils today and now all seat properly and click in fully. Any difference ?

Last edited by davebelcher; 06-28-2016 at 9:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 81 Old 06-28-2016, 8:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Try youtube.uk or photobucket.

Plug read says to look at...
1. Threads: No oil running up the threads is a good sign of no ring problems.
2. Side electrode: Plug #4 or far right?... The better coil [you are about to change] is how dry and clean the curve of the electrode is. Probably the higher compression cyl.
3. Porcelain tip: Not white in color as in lean for air leaks, a high AFR number, etc.
4. Porcelain body: #3 or second to right... look at the black arcing and a poor boot connection at the cap end to coil wire. If cap is the replaceable kind and spins off, snip the end off of the green strands at the end. 1/4 inch back or a few mm back is too much. Just snip the toenail off the green part so the copper wire end is now clean. Twisting the cap's screw up the wire is going to cause a bare spot up the copper strand wires and that takes care of any green chemRe traveling up the wire, meaning, no need to snip a fukin foot of wire off.
5. Porcelain base: This is where a plug reading tool comes in. This is where you check AFR. This is how you read the jetting. This area reads white=perfect. This area reads tan=perfect. This area reads gray=Race ready.
6. Porcelain nose: This area has spots for molten aluminum off the piston dome and sits on the tip. It's gray in color and is burned into the porcelain.
7. ChemRe: #1 plug [far left] has the most chemical reaction on the metal body. The crush ring looks too fat as if not tightened like the rest. It's the most wet and that could be more loose than having an oil problem with the wet top thread showing a shinny bit of oil walking up the threads. So with the trivia about you can't separate magnetism/heat/chemRe is you are looking at it.

Good signs in all holes so far. Compression tells the rest of the story.
post #5 of 81 Old 06-28-2016, 9:11 AM Thread Starter

Here is the first video guys

Last edited by davebelcher; 06-28-2016 at 9:32 AM.
post #6 of 81 Old 06-28-2016, 9:28 AM

Did I hear the ticking go away after it revved? How loose are the cables off that exhaust flapper bell crank? Might that be there at the front, rather than a cam chain? It goes away sounds like and cam chain slap does not go away especially at idle and a sync is going to slap that chain at idle.

Remove the black cap with the 17mm socket. You want to watch the chain as you move the crank back and I'm talking in degrees, not grab a handful and turn the crank half way around. This is showing you how loose or how tight the slack is in the static. Cam and crank move together rolling forwards so all the slack is in the back. If you move it backwards, (cam cover off) you can see the crank move before the cams do= There is your noise.

Either the slippers are grooved, the tensioner is loose at the plunger, or the chain is worn. Exhaust harmonics or supersonic bangs off those plates in the mid pipe could come and go... cam chain... I don't think so.

Only a few degrees knows for sure.
post #7 of 81 Old 06-28-2016, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Ok

I have taken the 17mm cap off and inspected with a torch and a very smell screw driver to feel for slack and it is indeed under tension just from feel.Is it ok to turn the bolt for timing in reverse to do this inspection? As you mentioned going forward turns both together.
post #8 of 81 Old 06-28-2016, 10:17 AM

Sure that's knocking, and not just exhaust gasket leak? It sounds a bit more like blow, than a knock, get some watered down fairy liquid sprayed round the gaskets on the headers, whilst it's running.
post #9 of 81 Old 06-28-2016, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Thats exactly what i thought to be honest bud, Does sound like compressed air escaping somewhere around that area, Ill go do that now and get back to you in about 10 mins
post #10 of 81 Old 06-28-2016, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Well..... I attempted that trick and started spraying whilst the bike was ticking over and as soon as it touched contact the watered down solution sizzled and had no direct tell tale sign due to the headers heating up too quickly to find out, I think this would be better left until i do the leak down test as that would give me the essential info if anything is indeed leaking.

Any ideas why the bike would lack top end power guys? theres been 2 occasions now that it never wanted to go past 150mph?

The first time i had the touring screen on and figured that could have something to do with it due to how tall it was. WAS not the case...

2nd time i bolted on a racing screen but still had the same effect like it just hit a wall.

Ive had countless bikes new and old
(Gsxr 600 k4)
(R6 09)
(Ktm rc8)
And now this 1 which brings me down to feeling its under powered, something wrong. This is why i decided to do a leak down and compression test and then check valves.
post #11 of 81 Old 06-28-2016, 11:44 AM

My 929 is making the exact same noise as your 954. I know for a fact its not the valves because i adjusted them perfectly and the noise still persists. I am willing to bet that the cause is the exhaust header gaskets but I have not seen a drop in performance in my bike like you have with yours so I'm not too concerned. Keep the thread updated with anything you try while trying to fix the problem.
post #12 of 81 Old 06-28-2016, 11:45 AM

Does it run out of steam when it hits that rev range in other gears?

Just thinking maybe it was imported from somewhere and limited to 150mph?
post #13 of 81 Old 06-28-2016, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Its odd because in 1st i'm hitting around 70 mph by the time I've hit the limiter in 4th i,m at 140+ - iv'e got 2 gears left but refuses to fly like it should do. I don't get any ill effects like splutter on the bike. I would not of thought it would have a restriction on the bike but i could be wrong. The bike was bought brand new in the UK by a person who owned it for 13 years before selling me it a few months ago.

If for instance the bike did have a restriction would that show in rpm limiter rather than just top end restriction?
post #14 of 81 Old 06-28-2016, 12:23 PM

Counted the teeth on the sprockets?

Ref the fairy liquid, wait till cold, then start bike and spray copious amounts around the header gaskets.

Last edited by Spaz; 06-28-2016 at 12:28 PM.
post #15 of 81 Old 06-28-2016, 12:47 PM

The slight rev took the noise away yes or no? I'm not there and someone has to hear that same noise disappear as I think it did. So correct me if I'm wrong, a loose chain does not go away after a rev and tightens up. An exhaust gasket does not expand from a rev and goes away.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page