954rr hard restarts - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 10-20-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

954rr hard restarts

Hello.

I am just new to this form and would like to find out why my bike is hard to start when it's warm.

This only happens sometimes and is starting to get annoying how do I fix it?

Battery is fully charged.
Is it the fuel pressure regulator I need?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-20-2016, 2:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 1

Re: 954rr hard restarts

Usually from past experience with this sort of thing. I have found a hard start from hot is usually down to valve clearances. I would check this firs, It is not a big job in just checking them.

To check it for a faulty fuel pressure regulator. Pull the pipe and turn ignition on as in the video.

Rabmccall likes this.
post #3 of 28 Old 10-20-2016, 6:36 PM Thread Starter

Ok mate thanks. The bike has only done 20k would the the values need checked that soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 10-20-2016, 8:35 PM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 39

yes.

...and what do you mean specifically when you said "hard to start"?

"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #5 of 28 Old 10-21-2016, 2:40 AM Thread Starter

Well bike started fine from cold I ran it up to temp got to my mates spoke to him for 5 went to start it and took a good but before she would start. Then I just turned it off straight away and tried again and went first time. This only happens every no and then.
post #6 of 28 Old 10-21-2016, 2:57 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Hi have you checked the connections from Battery(+) through starter switch to starter motor, (and earth) funny enough I have been watching this problem with Triumph bikes , their cure was to upgrade cables and starter motor, have you checked the heat generated by the starter motor, to see if it gets really hot, I wouldn't touch it but you can get one of those Laser Temperature guns from E-bay cheap.Bill
post #7 of 28 Old 10-21-2016, 5:10 AM Thread Starter

I have checked the battery and all is good Ok i could check this thanks
post #8 of 28 Old 10-21-2016, 10:48 AM
Supporting Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 62

Garage

Definitely check the fuel system (FPR specifically), spark plugs, air filter, and possibly valve clearances. At only 20k I would not imagine that the valves would be so far out of spec that it would not want to run (cam on tappet wears tight... chokes the engine at some point and will no longer run), but you never know. Valves for Honda are typically done at 16k intervals (as a generalization), so I could not imagine running 4k over would wear so tight that it would not run (I am actually about 5k over my interval.... not proud of that).

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #9 of 28 Old 10-21-2016, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Ok thats great thanks. If it is the FPR where do I get them as they only seem to be in america when checking Ebay. As i am in Scotland and seem hard to get.
post #10 of 28 Old 10-21-2016, 8:00 PM
Greenie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 181

More likely fpr than valve clearances. I've haeard so many people tell me their first 16000 mile valve check was within spec. That said, you are overdue for an inspection and I would do it in the very near future.

I got about 3 sentences into your post and already I'm thinking fpr. It may not leak as shown in the test. My buddy's 954 was running raspy, no leak from the fpr, but he changed it anyway and problem immediately solved. If your bike is new to you and you don't know the history, or if it's been stored for any amount of time, likely the fpr's diaphragm is broken from rotted or congealed gas. How does the gas tank look inside, any sign of corrosion?
post #11 of 28 Old 10-22-2016, 2:44 AM
Supporting Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Sorry Rab, agree with the above, should have read it through properly, my diagnosis is for engine that wont turn over after warm.Bill
post #12 of 28 Old 10-22-2016, 5:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 1

Just curious, If its not leaking from the pipe how can it still be defective. When you say raspy what do you mean by that exactly. Mine has 40k on the clock and i tested mine and i have no leaks so i too would like to know more about this.

I know this is a car fuel pressure regulator but just see how long it took for fuel to leak from this. hmmm interesting.

spagiratwink likes this.

Last edited by davebelcher; 10-22-2016 at 5:18 AM.
post #13 of 28 Old 10-28-2016, 8:04 PM
Greenie

The vac line that runs from the fpr to the throttle bodies is that, a vac line, not just a drain line. In the standard fpr test, you pull the vac line, tun the ignition on, listen for fuel pump prime and watch for leak.
But when you cycle the ignition key, it's only putting pressure on the fpr, it's not applying the vacuum that the (failing) diaphram gets when the bike is running. That's why a bad fpr doesn't always leak just from the standard test.

What I mean by raspy is whether cold or warm you get stalling, hard restarts, acts like flooding, runs fat, smell gas, Idle won't stabilize, etc. You may notice all or just some of those things depending on how bad a fpr's diaphragm is leaking
Rabmccall likes this.

Last edited by jondog9; 10-28-2016 at 8:09 PM.
post #14 of 28 Old 11-02-2016, 6:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all that information Jondog. I have still to try this test but just priced a new FPR and its coming in at £154
post #15 of 28 Old 11-04-2016, 10:55 AM
Greenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabmccall View Post
Thanks for all that information Jondog. I have still to try this test but just priced a new FPR and its coming in at £154
Holy Scheiße! That's the most I've ever heard for a fpr. I'm used to guys here in the States paying about $85. Even that's a rip off when I can buy them for my RC51 at about $50. (No they won't interchange, unfortunately.)

So let's hope our diagnosis is correct, and a new fpr is the solution. There's very little symptom information in your original post, but at first impression it seems as though the fpr is a strong possibility as the culprit.

A bad battery connection, or a failing charging system could cause the same symptoms. Have you tested/inspected your charging system? stator, reg/rec, connectors, and grounding points.
A bad grounding point could also cause the exact symptom you describe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page