Cracked my oil pan - what should I do? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 12-10-2016, 8:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 1

Cracked my oil pan - what should I do?

Can't believe I ****ed this one up...after doing this so many times with so many bikes, I managed to over-tighten the drain bolt and crack the threaded area. I've usually just done these based on muscle memory, get it tight and then maybe 1/8 or 1/4 turn. Since I hadn't done any servicing for a while I thought I'd use the torque wrench - set it to 29Nm, and it NEVER clicked and I kept going, dumb dumb dumb.

A new oil pan is expensive, but I have no other option now. How should this be done, do I unbolt it and then have to tap it loose? I'm assuming there's some kind of gasket in place. Saw over here earlier someone having done something similar and there was a suggestion to use Threebond 1207B.

How do I remove the residual gasket material? Do I need to remove the headers as well? Looks like I'll have to get a decent torque wrench now and not use that $30 crap off eBay again if I'm going to refit a new oil pan.

FML.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 12-10-2016, 8:43 AM Thread Starter

Here it is - is this something that could be re-welded and re-threaded? I really know nothing about this kind of stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
2016-12-11 00_1481377320978.41.25.jpg‎   2016-12-11 00_1481377359240.41.07.jpg‎  
post #3 of 28 Old 12-10-2016, 8:45 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Re: Cracked my oil pan - what should I do?

Dont panic too much just yet, have a look at this, it might help you out until you can get round to sorting it properly, I know it's after the fact but, never use a torque wrench on sump bolts. Bill
motorcycle oil sump bolt repair kit | eBay
fj1200rj likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 12-10-2016, 8:47 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR929RRY View Post
Here it is - is this something that could be re-welded and re-threaded? I really know nothing about this kind of stuff.
After seeing that your gonna need some JB weld till its sorted.Bill
post #5 of 28 Old 12-10-2016, 8:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagiratwink View Post
Dont panic too much just yet, have a look at this, it might help you out until you can get round to sorting it properly, I know it's after the fact but, never use a torque wrench on sump bolts. Bill
motorcycle oil sump bolt repair kit | eBay
How does this work? I'm not too sure I can do this on mine since the cracks have developed past the threads as well.
post #6 of 28 Old 12-10-2016, 9:00 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
How does this work? I'm not too sure I can do this on mine since the cracks have developed past the threads as well.
Yeh ,your gonna have to put some JB weld on then probably retap with the kit till you can sort it properly.But that looks mullard.Bill
post #7 of 28 Old 12-10-2016, 9:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagiratwink View Post
Yeh ,your gonna have to put some JB weld on then probably retap with the kit till you can sort it properly.But that looks mullard.Bill
I'll just have to use the car until it's fixed, so will likely order a new oil pan and fit that.
spagiratwink likes this.
post #8 of 28 Old 12-10-2016, 9:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

it could probably be welded but that looks like a jb weld job for sure, maybe put a hose clap really tight around it also to help hold it all together, im always looking for the cheap way out though.
spagiratwink likes this.
post #9 of 28 Old 12-10-2016, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 2

Talk with a metal fabrication shop about your options.
spagiratwink likes this.

-2006 CBR1000RR- Jardine RT-1 CF, #$&-%* Brand Air filter, GP shift rearsets, color matched levers (upgrades in progress)
-2002 CBR600F4i (I'm done with upgrades- now transferred to Her)

Because 12,000 RPM makes me feel better
post #10 of 28 Old 12-10-2016, 1:19 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

Garage

I hate torque wrenches, I've only ever broken a stud or stripped a thread when ever I've used one. I now just use some common sense and when it's tight it's tight.

I think that could be welded and retapped, it's finding somebody locally who can do it.
spagiratwink and Slothlyfe929 like this.

1994 Urban Tiger Project

"Endless motorbike talk can and does bore me" - Barry Sheene
post #11 of 28 Old 12-10-2016, 2:26 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 117

Garage

Wow, usually I just see them split once from over torquing. Let me brush up on my Queens English, yours is Properly f**ked. Like Spagiratwink said, some thinks are better left to feel than torque wrenches anyway, I agree that sump plugs are one of them, never used a torque wrench in my life. I would start looking for a used pan. A quality weld job and re-tap will likely run as much or more than a used pan (assuming of course that you can get one there), and since you'll have to remove the pan either way...
RRDemon, spagiratwink and frase like this.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli

Last edited by fj1200rj; 12-10-2016 at 2:44 PM.
post #12 of 28 Old 12-10-2016, 2:29 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 117

Garage

Just for s**ts and giggles I looked up a new pan, $160 from Bike Bandit, so not the end of the world if you can't find a used one. Not sure about overseas shipping though.

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...m2074#sch90142

Looks like $146.48 at Ron Ayers, and I believe some Aussies on here have used them so they should ship to you.

http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/h...l-pan-oil-pump

For that price I wouldn't even dick around with trying to repair it. Just remember in the future, it's cast aluminum, and not that high quality to begin with. There's no pressure in the pan so just a little torque to start crushing the crush washer and let the crush washer the sealing. May as well order a new crush washer while your at it and check the threads on the drain bolt before you place your order, no need to dick up the new pan with bad threads on the old bolt.

Besides, what better excuse to get a clean oil pan!

Also, I just looked on Ebay, there's a buttload of them for $35-75. I wouldn't mess with repairing it.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli

Last edited by fj1200rj; 12-10-2016 at 2:48 PM.
post #13 of 28 Old 12-10-2016, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

OK...put in an order for the oil pan, drain bolt, washer, etc. and also the header gaskets in case I need to replace them. All up about $USD170 so far including shipping, so it's not a huge disaster.

However now I'm having trouble with the oil filter, can't remove it by hand so I used the screwdriver method, and it bent my screw driver :S
IanDoohan likes this.
post #14 of 28 Old 12-11-2016, 1:38 AM
President Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 74

Garage

Quote:
OK...put in an order for the oil pan, drain bolt, washer, etc. and also the header gaskets in case I need to replace them. All up about $USD170 so far including shipping, so it's not a huge disaster.

However now I'm having trouble with the oil filter, can't remove it by hand so I used the screwdriver method, and it bent my screw driver :S
Looking at the photos you posted I'm gonna side on the previous owner. The machined surface on the face looks like it "waterfalls" into the threads, suggesting the PO used and reused drain washers, continually over torqued the bolt, and had no clue the future failure they were creating.

Those cracks look far too intense for a "one off" inaccurate torque wrench turn IMO.

Nonetheless, the new pan and plug is the way to go

I use OEM filters exclusively and have had the OEM Honda oil filter "cap" wrench forever. Highly recommended. Pretty sure this is the number:

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP

Last edited by IanDoohan; 12-11-2016 at 1:46 AM. Reason: Added pic
post #15 of 28 Old 12-11-2016, 3:00 AM Thread Starter

Hey...I remember that. I used to have that before. Must be still at my parents place.

I remember buying that from the dealership. Thanks for reminding me!
IanDoohan likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Tags
cracked oil pan , drain bolt , oil sump , pan , sump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page