Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

My latest 929rr

3K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  rideawheelie 
#1 ·
Well it's been awhile since I've posted and I figured I would add some content.

I have rebuilt/revived more than a few bikes since I last posted,mainly because I get all excited and can't contain myself with a new rr I'm my hands.

Last night I picked up a neglected 2000 929,supposedly it's been built up to a 1100cc.I'm not real sure the one thing I am sure of is,it won't start fuel pump wont prime. not sure about spark,battery is dead fairing is trash and missing the belly.the bike has a slip on and a new rear tire,the wheels are polished.the gauges read 25000 miles .fuel tank leaks around the sending unit chain is rusted but not to the point it won't move.this is all at first glance I haven't had time to look it over really good.

My plans as far as the bike goes is to breath new life in this baby.At 17 years old it's gonna be a process for sure but this is my passion. I'll keep the updates coming and try my best to go step by step with pics and videos of everything I do.I will upload some pics of the new addition to my family.

#2 ·
So here's a few pics I got early this morning the bike it's self has not made it to the garage yet and is in the shed till I can make some room to dig deep.when I picked up the bike all it would do was crank and the guy acted like he didn't know why it wouldn't fire,his add on Craigslist stated that it ran great but would not idle ....well that's pretty normal when buying a bike in this condition so no harm.

Last night I gave it quick look after work and realized that the air box was flopping around so I pulled that and realized the trotted body was just sitting on top off the engine and not mounted correctly ....hmm wonder why it wouldn't idle...
When I initially seen the bike I didnt think that I heard the fuel pump prime but I didn't say anything to the guy....

So I tried to start it and no pump prime hmmm,classic issue with any efi bike that's suffered ignorance and neglect...I noticed right away that this isn't the stock ignition and it's a ebay special and I've been down this road.
so I gave it a whirl with gas down its throat and no joy.
I then pulled the #1 coil and put a plug in it that I had laying around and ,what do you....no spark.

I know I know this ebay ignition is probably the reason because I'm sure there's no resistor in it to drop it down to 9v to satisfy the ecu.I'll come back and test it when I get a chance and probably ramrod a resistor inline.that's about as far as I've got.

Won't let me upload pics right now

#3 ·
Congrats on the new baby. I'll keep an eye on this one =) Always a struggle when you pick up a very neglected bike =(

#7 ·
Ok here we go these are all I have right now I haven't had time to play lately so these are all I have for now...
I did try and splice in a 2.2k ohm resistor on the pink wire of the ebay ignition and got 9 volts but still no spark...ecm throws either 9 or ten codes ,but I haven't cleared them so hopefully I'll get all that worked out....
I feel like one of the other 929s did this same thing and it was something really simple

Attachments

#8 ·
So today j got home and the sun was still up so I gave it a look and found the cam pulse generator with a broken wire where someone had used a crimp connector and it failed....soldered that and got spark...dumped some gas and heard a few growls from it....the tank has 3 sheared bolts on the sending unit so it leaks pretty bad ,so the tank is off...so I dumped a small mount of gas down the throttle bodies and I'm pretty sure I flooded it and fouled the plugs pretty good I turned it over a few more times and didn't get a pop or anything so I gave up to let em dry for a bit and after 25 or 30 mins still nothing so I'm pretty sure I need to clean the plugs off or just get some new...I'll get some better pics soon and show some of the pros and cons of this diamond in the rough

#9 ·
She definitely looks a bit rough =) I am not always so keen to jump on a grenade... but once in a while I get the fever too =) I mostly satiate this urge by ripping into Serenity and doing some kind of major maintenance item early or deep cleaning her (usually once a year in the winter)

#10 ·
I got it fired up today and ran like a blade should...
Its definitely not a jewel YET but Ill make fast work of her.I would rather consider it a project than jumping on a grenade.Most people play video games and go out to the bars to drink,I'd much rather revive a blade back to its glory...and when I feel it's just to much I always have my 06 to tend to....I'll have to resize all my pics of the 06 to up load but will shortly...

So today to get the 929 fired I put some new plugs in it and held the fuel pump in my hand while keeping the bowl full of fuel through 2 heat cycles just to see how she would act.
One of my first order of business will be to combine the old stock ignition with the new ebay ignition and go have my blank honda keys cut to work in it and while I have the top triple off jll probably order some fork seals possibly a new fork setup if the price is right then I'll go to cleaning up the harness and get a set of monster fairings and so on...it's gonna be a good time bringing the fire back to the blade

#11 ·
I got it fired up today and ran like a blade should...
Its definitely not a jewel YET but Ill make fast work of her.I would rather consider it a project than jumping on a grenade.Most people play video games and go out to the bars to drink,I'd much rather revive a blade back to its glory...and when I feel it's just to much I always have my 06 to tend to....
That's what I'm talking about :thumb::thumb:

#12 ·
Ordered a new battery last night...from chrome pro technology ....these batteries are cheap at 28 usd and come with 18 month replacement Warrenty but the most awsome feature is the built in digital readout on the battery ....it tells voltage, days of service and also has a low charge alarm...pretry sweet,I have one for my 1000rr...I'll work on those pics asap

#14 ·
Looks mostly like she just needs a good scrubbing... I would love to get my hands on a 29er..... be great to have both a 29 and 54 lurking about =)

Projects are definitely fun. I have had more than one in my life =) I think my first that I really tore into, cleaned, painted bits, and did major disassembly on was an old '74 KZ400... picked it up for $200 not running lol.

#16 ·
I'm going to just buy a fairing kit and I was thinking about solid white or maybe yellow and black just not sure yet....I haven't had a bike in either color,the wheels are chrome so white and chrome seems like it will be nice but yellow and black looks really good in all the pics I've been looking at

#17 ·
So I got a few things squared away.I combined the ebay ignition with the oem and made a single unit that works.welded new studs in the bottom of the fuel tank and made a new gasket to seal it up.installed my new battery.ordered a full fairing yellow with black.ordered new chrome grips and levers.went ahead and ordered a used top triple with oem ignition because I don't like the sloppy feel of the ebay and oem frank-n-ignition I slapped together.cleaned and juiced the k and n air filter that came with the bike.added some fresh fuel and gave her a few heat cycles ,mainly because the bike hasn't been ran much in the past few years from what I can tell.

Took her out on the road and no surprise,she ran like a blade,ready in a half a heartbeat to buck me off her back like a raging bull....happy as **** yes I am....

Still to order
New tires
New rotors
new pads
New chain
New sprockets
New flush mounts
New fork seals
Ect ect ect

I'll post picks as parts arrive

#18 ·
Been pretty busy but I had a few hours to do a few things to the 29er today.I put on ceramic pads front and back (sixty brand),put on the polished triple and good oem diode ignition cleaned a few things in the process.it's still pretty dam cold here in indy today about 35 degrees so I haven't been riding alot...so far I've done about 50 miles on her and she rides pretty good ....been looking into tires and I'm thinking some fresh rubber is next.also it's been 12 days since I ordered my fairing kit and its still on the way.I have grips on the way but these rr grips cleaned up nice...didn't spend alot of time I just wiped a few things down and slapped a few things on

Attachments

#20 ·
Here's my progress as of late....fairing fit perfectly from ez moto on ebay and the paint is perfect...ebay adjustable foldable extendable levers....@gunk,the grips are next but I don't like the ones I received so gotta do some shopping. ..let my buddy ride and I told him she's itching to stand up and he dumped the clutch 12 o'clock it and came back grinning ,called his wife and said I'm buying my buddies bike....she's not for sale yet haha

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.