Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1997 Fireblade KPH-MPH Speedo Swap Advice

5K views 20 replies 3 participants last post by  RiceRacer 
#1 ·
I have just bought a 97 fireblade with an analogue dash that currently has a KPH speedo / odometer fitted. I want to swap it out for a UK MPH unit. Is it simply a case of swapping the kph speedo for a Uk spec MPH one along with the UK speedo sensor, or are there any other parts required to carry out this swap?

Any help would be appreciated before I waste money on parts that I don't need

#3 ·
No I'm not sure if the sensor is different I was hoping someone has done the swap and would be able to advise. I am aware that the easy way would be to swap the dial face howeverI was wanting the swap the unit not just the face as I want to set the mileage to be correct so that on the new clocks both the speed and the odo reading are correct and both read in miles not kmh/ km.

#4 ·
Yes I gathered that. What I am saying is since the gauge face is calibrated the same way, just the numbers are different (since mph and km/h is a simple ratio) the speed sensor is probably the same.

But as you say...best to confirm from someone who has tried ;) yea and i meant swap the full unit.

#11 ·
Looked up cmsnl because I'm bored. You are right. It looks like you will need a different speed sensor as well.

All the km/h countries I checked have 37700-mae-612 whereas the UK model is listed as 37700-MAE-602.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cbr900rr-fireblade-1997-v-england_model2524/37700-mae-602-sensor_37700mae601/#.WKrye8vO3qA

:)

#13 ·
US models 95-97 use this speed sensor: 37700-MAE-602

Do you want to keep the dial gauges? I added a 600F4i set to my 93 RRP (which was cool 10 years ago). Depending on price for your replacement dial it may be something to consider.

I bought the gauges, speed sensor, and sprocket cover all on eBay for less that $200 US. I made the 3 wire connector from the sensor to the gauges from spare stuff laying around. It was not difficult.

Just another option to consider.

#14 ·
That might be a nice option its not like the bike is original or valuable enough for me to worry about originality. Plus a digi speedo is easier to read with a quick glance.

Did the odo still work with the swap?

What year 600 was the F4i that the parts came from please?

#15 ·
Ah, great question and a point I forgot. I apologize. I had to get a SpeedoHealer from Healtech. Plug and play though, worked a treat after a calibration. Of course another expense however.

I'm fairly certain the swap was from a 2004. So 01-06 F4i should work, as they were all the same.

#19 · (Edited)
Small update,

I've bought myself a cheap set of damaged UK analogue clocks along with a UK speed sensor to make myself a good set using the KPH clocks the bike currently has.

However thanks to Ian I've also ordered a set of 600 F4i clocks to fit later on, I will use the spare plugs from one of the analogue units to wire in the F4i clocks so it should be plug and play.

Ian do you know if the tacho face overlays to suit the cbr 900 are still available, and if so where do I get one please?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.