929RR - Some questions (new owner/ish) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 3 Post By unslow1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-16-2017, 2:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

929RR - Some questions (new owner/ish)

So I've had this bike for a few months but haven't actually been able to ride it all too much, as the RHS fork seal has been leaking ever so slightly since I bought it, and eventually the other week it just emptied out. (Fixing this in a week or so)

I've come to realise the chain is fairly Loose, can be pulled right off the rear sprocket... question is, is a $70 chain off ebay going to be alright for the next month or so? As I dont want to ride the bike with a chain in such bad condition. Obviously i'll get a better chain later on.

Lastly... weird ass ticking noise, ive looked all over the internet and literally everyone says its normal. at idle you can barely hear it(when its just started) and then as it warms up sort of goes away. Thena t around 6kish rpm itll sound like a pistons gonna fly out the engine... everyone seems to say its either the CCT or the HTEV or something? any way to make it stop cos it scares the **** out of me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-16-2017, 2:40 PM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 40

Re: 929RR - Some questions (new owner/ish)

hello there.
I'd not recommend purchasing a "temporary" chain. Best to just invest in a new chain & sprocket(s) SET and replace all at once (~$250). Not worth the money, nor time, nor potential damage to replace piece by piece

The noise...? Yes, could be the Cam Chain Tensioner. Could also be bad valve seats or valve guides or valves needing to be adjusted or replaced altogether. Without hearing it run, performing a leakdown test and having results, we'd all really just be guessing... educated or not.

You can also have a compression test performed to test the condition of the rings/pistons/cylinders. That noise could also be "piston slap" due to the motor needing to be "rebuilt".

Any number of the aforementioned isues could be yours. Pray it's just noisy "valvetaps" due to a low oil level or it losing its viscosity. I'd first CHANGE the oil & filter (with new) and perform those two tests. Then attack the remaining issue with focus and education
jdoni, IanDoohan and Joe929 like this.

"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #3 of 4 Old 03-19-2017, 8:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 3

Re: 929RR - Some questions (new owner/ish)

The received wisdom is to replace the sprockets and chain together so they wear together, or else it's like a fresh cut key
in an old lock - doesn't fit very well, like Unslow says.

You don't say much about the bike, like miles its done, general condition, service/general history. Those things might help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-20-2017, 2:00 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 62

Garage
Agree with both of those guys. It is pointless to put a weak temporary chain on, not to mention you should ALWAYS replace the chain and sprockets as a full set.

More information is definitely needed about mileage here- makes a big difference if it is a 10k miles bike vs. 65k miles bike =]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page