Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

93 CBR900RR Fair set - anyone had experience with these guys

976 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  shrekusa 
#1 ·
#2 ·
not from them, but I'm guessing all the China fairings are pretty much the same.

Issues i had
They paint the inside of the fairings with rattle can, not an even coat, just mist it. I think they do this to cover up the un-evenness of it. For the most part its not an issue but on the upper cowl it is. You see this area around the windscreen and front of the bike. I had to sand it all down and paint it white.

The rear fairings dont fit good at all, the piece around the taillight and the top piece (where the key is) are off. I think it has to do with they are smaller parts and the mounting points are all messed up. I painted the originals on those 2 parts to match for a better fit. it did help, but the two rear side cowls still didn't line up that great. I'm now painting 2 OEM fairings to make the rear tails section 100% oem parts.

The bodywork is thinner, not a huge problem, but the Honda bolts have that un-threaded part that normally fits fine for the thickness of the body work. So with it being thinner, you have a little play. most areas its not an issue except for the one center bolt on the upper fairing. the head of the bot is not snug up against the body work. Going to put some washers behind the body work to take up the space.

The inner of the side fairings (closes to the forks, are pretty bad, not smooth and just look rough. they were also black and body work was white, not sure why they didn't paint them white. I see in your ebay link they are black also. I painted my originals white to match.

Front fender was tweaked, had a bend in it so didn't mount straight. this could have been an issue with packaging, i didn't fight it, just painted my original.

all in all its not bad, but definitley not like OEM fit. If i had the choice of buying China or painting OEM, i would go the painting OEM route. If you don't have OEM's to paint, you don't have much choice. Just be prepared, they need some work to fit.

#3 ·
Cary

thanks for the detailed reply - really awesome information. I think you just made up my mind to buy OEM parts and respray them and do a custom paint of the rothmans Honda.

Will be more expensive overall but a FAR better outcome!

Again thanks!!!!

#6 ·
Some good advice here ?
I also have a 93 900RR.
I considered a Rothmans paint scheme too because I like the look and it suits the period of the bike.
After hearing of others issues with aftermarket fairings I have decided to stay with the original tri-colour scheme and repair cracks and broken pieces as best as I can.
So far so good but looks like the rear cowl, (squarish piece directly behind the pillion seat that holds the lock for pillion seat), is beyond repair ?
Does anyone know where I could find a 2nd hand OEM piece to replace this one?
I am in Sydney Australia but am happy to pay for postage.
Cheers

#7 ·
Hey Jimmy

G'Day to a fellow Aussie (although I live in the US now). I have been putting together a long list of items from MegaZip which sells all OEM parts for bikes, they are not cheap but it is 100% OEM.

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-d...e-blade-28645/cbr900rr-a-786769/seat-13607131

Re the Honda Rothmans look - yep going to buy a few used OEM fairings and get it customer sprayed here locally in the US.

Cheers and beers

Shrek

#8 ·
Hey Shrek,
Thanks mate I'll look into that link.
I'm a bit of a newbie to these forum things. Do you know is there a specific place I can place a message to see if anyone on this forum has what I need?
Good luck with your build. Would love to see some pics when done ?
Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.