Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade » True Benefits of a Ported Head

Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2004, 6:29 AM   #1

Reputation Power: 11
victoRR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to victoRR
True Benefits of a Ported Head

For the 929.

I landed a very good job with Dell Computers (who knows how long it'll last though) and I figured why not take up a project with my bike now.

I am quite confident that the bottom end is still very up to par and after having a valve/cct mishap in January the bike has since been fixed with new valves (2 intake valves) and a new CCT. I ported the exhaust ports while it was off for a not-so-noticable gain.

With a fully ported head, I am looking at *possibly* some aftermarket cams and hardware (valves,springs,shims), full race system (possibly Hindle if I can find a good one used) and a PC3.

What are the true benefits? Who from here has done it? Would I be better off with a 954 swap?

I wanted to, but never got around to track days. My main use for the bike is for enjoyment and the occasional straight line race at the track. *sorry guys, I said it, I drag race my bike*

input?
Would you do it? I'd do the work myself since i've already torn into it.
victoRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-08-2004, 11:09 AM   #2

Reputation Power: 34
abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of
Re: True Benefits of a Ported Head

Originally Posted by victoRR
For the 929.

I landed a very good job with Dell Computers (who knows how long it'll last though) and I figured why not take up a project with my bike now.

I am quite confident that the bottom end is still very up to par and after having a valve/cct mishap in January the bike has since been fixed with new valves (2 intake valves) and a new CCT. I ported the exhaust ports while it was off for a not-so-noticable gain.

With a fully ported head, I am looking at *possibly* some aftermarket cams and hardware (valves,springs,shims), full race system (possibly Hindle if I can find a good one used) and a PC3.

What are the true benefits? Who from here has done it? Would I be better off with a 954 swap?

I wanted to, but never got around to track days. My main use for the bike is for enjoyment and the occasional straight line race at the track. *sorry guys, I said it, I drag race my bike*

input?
Would you do it? I'd do the work myself since i've already torn into it.
You are going to do the porting? Not a good idea unless you have a flow bench and a couple of decades of porting experience under your belt. I have seen nice bikes destroyed with a die grinder in the wrong hands . . .
Old 07-08-2004, 12:26 PM   #3

Reputation Power: 15
figment will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to figment

Originally Posted by abtech
I have seen nice bikes destroyed with a die grinder in the wrong hands . . .
What about a drimel tool with a cratex (sp) tip just to smooth the edges off a bit?

Last edited by figment; 07-08-2004 at 12:27 PM.
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 1:45 PM   #4

abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by figment
What about a drimel tool with a cratex (sp) tip just to smooth the edges off a bit?
Still not a good idea unless you have all of the pertinent info regarding flow rates before and after. There are several modeling programs available to predict the consequences of "smoothing the edges off a bit", but all require a full topographical run with a laser of the example port. Most "casual tweakers" would be better off going with a Serdi or full round valve job and leaving the internal port surfaces untouched.

I'm certainly not against porting cylinder heads, but advise having a pro with an outstanding track record do the work. If you are serious about having some head work done, I would recommend Superbike Mike Engineering in Ft Lauderdale, Florida.
Old 07-08-2004, 3:50 PM   #5

Reputation Power: 17
stegen has a spectacular aura about stegen has a spectacular aura about

or how about a 1000rr with some mods?
stegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 5:46 PM   #6

Reputation Power: 37
Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of

I've seen MANY cylinder heads flow worse than stock after someone "smoothed" the edges....I've also flowed heads after welding (before being ground...ie smaller ports) that performed better than stock....go figure.....

Although many a backyard engineer with a Dumore can look at a head or a manifold and "see" areas for "improvement"...in my experience porting is not an intuitive process. Except for a few gifted wizards, it is at best an empirical game based almost entirely on iteration and documentation....

The key to porting is either have an expert do it.....or have about 20 cylinder heads laying around to experiment with....

I would never touch a head with anything more aggressive than a scotchbrite without flowing it first....
Baketech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 6:18 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Baketech
I've seen MANY cylinder heads flow worse than stock after someone "smoothed" the edges....I've also flowed heads after welding (before being ground...ie smaller ports) that performed better than stock....go figure.....

Although many a backyard engineer with a Dumore can look at a head or a manifold and "see" areas for "improvement"...in my experience porting is not an intuitive process. Except for a few gifted wizards, it is at best an empirical game based almost entirely on iteration and documentation....

The key to porting is either have an expert do it.....or have about 20 cylinder heads laying around to experiment with....

I would never touch a head with anything more aggressive than a scotchbrite without flowing it first....
Well put
Old 07-08-2004, 11:50 PM   #8

Machinist is on a distinguished road

Porting and Polishing works well as long as the Job is done by a qualified person, I have done this job to my 954, and it has really made the engine perform well ( Allows it to revv up a lot Quicker)I work in the Aircraft Industry
in a Turbine Engine overhaul shop so I have acess to a flow bench etc, without the proper know how and equipment you can definitly do harm I also had a custom map made to get the best out of the porting job, So it does work But have it done by a qualified person.
Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 12:40 AM   #9

I will not be doing the porting myself. I will however be removing the head and doing the labor to assemble everything myself. I will be sending the head off to a qualified individual for porting and flow bench testing.

I needed to know first hand if this is actually worth it. I wouldn't mind tearing into the engine first and foremost. I don't really want to do a power adder (nitrous or turbo). Naturally aspirated works best for me.

I will be looking for spare heads so mess around with. (bare of course)

Just an idea that ive had for some time and wanted some first hand experience feedback.

Ported head, cams, tuning.
or
954 complete engine. (low mileage)
Old 07-09-2004, 3:43 AM   #10

Reputation Power: 12
Cowboy1600 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Cowboy1600

Ported head, cams, tuning.
or
954 complete engine. (low mileage)
I dont think you'll be able to slot a 954 motor into a 929 frame....i think you'll be looking at a whole new bike if you want 954 power. They are 2 different bikes, not an evolution.
Old 07-09-2004, 7:06 AM   #11

Originally Posted by Cowboy1600
I dont think you'll be able to slot a 954 motor into a 929 frame....i think you'll be looking at a whole new bike if you want 954 power. They are 2 different bikes, not an evolution.
Not so. Your namesake (Cowboy on this forum) grafted a 954 motor into his 929 last year (as have a few others) without much drama.
Old 07-09-2004, 7:21 AM   #12

Reputation Power: 13
Jungleboy will become famous soon enough Jungleboy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Cowboy1600
Actually they "are" an evoulution and are very similar, the engines being almost identical from the outside, Both have the same stroke the 954 has 1mm bigger pistons, bigger throttle bodies etc etc

www.jungleboyracing.com
Jungleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 8:42 AM   #13

Reputation Power: 37
Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of

I will be looking for spare heads so mess around with. (bare of course)
FYI, you will still have to assemble the head to do any effective bench work.....
Baketech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 7:23 PM   #14

Originally Posted by Baketech
FYI, you will still have to assemble the head to do any effective bench work.....
Understood. I've had experiences with head porting on my old cars (Fox Body Mustangs 79-93 models) as well as the 99 GT I had recently. I saw good gains from doing the work myself and having them put on a flow bench.

The bike is something I don't wanna take soo lightly though. (not that the cars were for that matter).
Old 07-09-2004, 7:39 PM   #15

CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

I've read that the 54 engine was just a bored out 29 so it should be dimensionally the same on the outside. as for the porting I also recommend having a good pro due it and get a good multi angle valve job too. my friend had his heads and upper and lower intake ported and polished on his 347 stroker in his mustang (he has since put on another intake, the one he shoulda bought when he built the engine had he followed the buildup I had given him) he did that and the guy who did it always does a multi angle valve job when he does the port and polish. he also put in a bigger cam at the same time and when he first fired it up this winter after doing it we could just hear how much more power it was making. so in conclusion I say do the 54 swap and port and polish that head.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Search tags for this page
08 cbr1000rr cylinder head flow
benefits of a port and polish on a honda

cbr1000rr head porting

how to port a motorcycle cylinder head

motorcycle head porting and polishing

motorcycle port and polish benefits

ported head for 2004 cbr1000rr

porting and polishing heads motorcycle

porting and polishing motorcycle heads

porting honda vfr800 cylinder head

porting motorcycle heads

rc51 ported heads

Click on a term to search for related topics.