Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade » Barnett clutch vs. stock?

Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2005, 10:14 AM   #1

Reputation Power: 9
franc01 is on a distinguished road
Barnett clutch vs. stock?

Hi,

This is my first post on this site. I have an '03 954 and my stock clutch just started slipping. I've only done a few drag strip passes (mid 11s, still sorting out the launch) and was actually practicing some launches when the clutch started to slip with a little over 5K on the odo. I don't know what sort of life the clutch had with the previous owner, as I bought the bike with 4K on it. I was about to order the Barnett carbon fiber kit until I searched these archives and found most folks recommended stock plates/discs with the Barnett springs. Has anyone used this setup recently? I want to put in something that's going to last.

On my F4, I changed to a Barnett Kevlar clutch at approx. 10K miles when that started to slip. On that bike, the stock clutch held up to numerous passes at the track but I never raced with the Barnett setup. I've put 1K miles on the F4 since the clutch change last year and it feels great on the street.

Any replies are appreciated!
-Franc
franc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-01-2005, 10:16 AM   #2
Resigned to pursue other interests.

Reputation Power: 34
ConqSoft is a splendid one to behold ConqSoft is a splendid one to behold ConqSoft is a splendid one to behold ConqSoft is a splendid one to behold ConqSoft is a splendid one to behold ConqSoft is a splendid one to behold ConqSoft is a splendid one to behold
Re: Barnett clutch vs. stock?

There is a little info in the first two Similar Threads down below, but others may have some updated information to post...
Old 12-01-2005, 11:37 AM   #3

Reputation Power: 15
MACI4LIFE will become famous soon enough MACI4LIFE will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to MACI4LIFE

It was recommended to me ( from this board) to use the stock clutch with the barnett springs. They seem to put more pressure on the plates, but i haven't noticed a difference in the lever tension ( which is a good thing).
MACI4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:28 PM   #4

abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of

The biggest problem with the Barnett units is they don't use the exact cut dimensions as the OEM plates so there is always some slop between the fingers and the basket slots. After several hard launches, the fingers wear grooves into the basket and then the plates start to hang up rather than slide through their normal travel. Barnett also uses an assortment of materials for their plates and none of it is as heavy duty as the OEM product.

I have seen several clutch baskets ruined from using Barnett plates and believe me, you don't want to pay to replace a basket every 2000 miles.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:56 PM   #5

Reputation Power: 0
rrblade is on a distinguished road
barnett clutches suck,

for dragracing anyway!i have just over 7000 miles on my 03 954 which spends most of it's time at the dragstrip.the stock clutches are without question better.i once bought a set of barnett's carbon fiber junk,they lasted about 200 miles. abtech is also correct,to much clearence between clutch teeth and basket teeth.do yourself a favor and stick with honda factory replacement parts.i must also say i've gotten better clutch life using the honda oil in the gold container vs using amsoil synthetic for motorcycles!
rrblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 1:19 AM   #6

unclepaulieSTL is on a distinguished road

I don't do dragstrips, but I do alot of trackdays. I have over 27,000 miles on my 954 and I still have the stock clutch with no signs of slipping yet. A friend of mine told me when it is time to replace it the best thing to do is get stock everything except replace the clutch basket with a good aftermarket titanium one.
unclepaulieSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 7:24 AM   #7

abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by unclepaulieSTL
I don't do dragstrips, but I do alot of trackdays. I have over 27,000 miles on my 954 and I still have the stock clutch with no signs of slipping yet. A friend of mine told me when it is time to replace it the best thing to do is get stock everything except replace the clutch basket with a good aftermarket titanium one.
I'm not certain that's really necessary, although it it's made properly it probably wouldn't hurt. It won't be as light as the aluminum and would add to reciprocating flywheel mass, so you may not like the effect it has on the engine response.

At any rate, I don't see the clutch basket as a weak link on the Blade or RC at even 30% to 40% more power than stock.
Old 12-04-2005, 1:43 PM   #8

Reputation Power: 40
luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of

If it's not nitrided the fingers of the clutch plates will probably gall on a Ti basket too.

I'm wondering if he was mistaken? I've never seen a Ti clutch basket...

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
luvtolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 6:58 PM   #9

unclepaulieSTL is on a distinguished road

I could be qouting him wrong on the titanium part, but anyhow he did say a good aftermarket clutch basket would be better. He really didn't give me a reason, can you think of any?
unclepaulieSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:21 PM   #10

Reputation Power: 16
SilverBullet has a spectacular aura about SilverBullet has a spectacular aura about

I went through 2 sets of clutches using stock springs to one set using Barnett springs. Stick with the OEM plates/fibers and get the springs from Barnett. I drag race every weekend from March-Nov.
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 1:39 AM   #11

Reputation Power: 40
luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by unclepaulieSTL
I could be qouting him wrong on the titanium part, but anyhow he did say a good aftermarket clutch basket would be better. He really didn't give me a reason, can you think of any?
Not really. If it isn't breaking anyways.

On dirtbikes it's real popular to goto a billet aluminum Hinson or other aftermarket forged job, but I think as you see here the stock basket is not a weak point of these bikes.

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
luvtolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 7:14 PM   #12

RSheffi649 is on a distinguished road

hey bullet, since you are a dragracer i was wondering if you could shed some light on a subject for me. is conventional oil better than synthetic for clutch life? we always have discussions about the subject, my brother dragraces and he is adamant that synthetic will cause clutches to slip sooner than conventional and i've got friends who argue that it doesn't and thats all they use in they're bikes....
RSheffi649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 8:31 PM   #13

Molybdenum Disulphide is a common additive in several synthetic (and a few dino based) oils and is extremely slippery. If the oil mentions friction reducers, chances are it has moly in it and your clutch may slip. There are several synthetic oils that don't use moly and as such don't cause clutch slipping (any more than any dino oil would).
Old 12-13-2005, 7:18 AM   #14

Reputation Power: 16
SilverBullet has a spectacular aura about SilverBullet has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by RSheffi649
hey bullet, since you are a dragracer i was wondering if you could shed some light on a subject for me. is conventional oil better than synthetic for clutch life? we always have discussions about the subject, my brother dragraces and he is adamant that synthetic will cause clutches to slip sooner than conventional and i've got friends who argue that it doesn't and thats all they use in they're bikes....
As Abtech said! He knows alot more about it than I do...afterall, he's the one who got me to switch to Motul 1-1/2 years ago. Nothing but impressed with the product. There is really only 2 other choices that I "might" would put in my bike, but Motul has been everything I was told it would be and NO slipping at all!

As far as clutch life goes......if you change the oil often, it doesn't matter if you are using a good synthetic or dino based oil, the clutches won't slip based off oil being used; unless using a moly based synthetic like Abtech mentioned.
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Search tags for this page
2008 cbr1000rr barnett clutch spring

are barnett clutches good

barnett carbon fiber plates vs stock plates
barnett clutches ruined basket

barnett good clutch

barnett kevlar clutch

barnett motorcycle clutch review

best oil barnett carbon fiber
do you use conventional oil on barnet clutch?

honda 954 barnett

is mobile 1 synthetic motorcycle oil safe for barnette clutches?

kevlar clutch vs carbon fiber

Click on a term to search for related topics.