Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

shinko Tire??

11K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  slickwill 
#1 ·
Anybody run shinko tires on their blade. I noticed them on quite a few bikes around here and never asked for opinions. I was stuck on dunlops. but now its time for a pair and I was wondering if anybody has tried them either the advanced 005 or the stealth 003. The stealth looks like a slick with notches in it. I want something good and was wondering how they performed. the seem popular on busas around here. I am considering the Shinko, Qualifier or pilot powers. just wanted feedback on the shinko.

thanks

#7 ·
The Pilot Powers are the best of the ones you mentioned. The Shinko R003 is primarily for drag racing, and the R005 is their street version and I sell all of these. If you are street riding, I would highly recommend you going with the Pilot Powers. I use the Shinko Ultra Soft, but I drag race every weekend.

#11 ·
Shinko are trying to break into the sportbike/road racer market (shinko bought yokohama) I was talking to the tire guy at our local track just a few days ago and he had some Shinko slicks that were budget priced,
He said they were ok if you were doing up to a certain time... So I think Ill give them a miss, regardless of what time Im doing I want the best tyres I can afford as I have had two near highsides on recent occasions using top of the line Dunlop slicks, and wonder if a near highside with those would have been a disaster with a lesser tyre :idunno:

#12 ·
Well I just put two new tires on this spring, and I just noticed a thin line where the wire is gonaa show soon so I am bummed cuz my riding season is pretty well done now. I am either going to buy another 208 for the rear or a pair of pilot powers. I might just do the pilot powers this winter Each year I wear through a 208 rear so hopefully the powers will get a little more milage.

#13 ·
I am hanging out until February when I've been told we should start getting some Pilot Power 2CT's in the shops here...I've run my way through 3 sets of PPs and love 'em, the only criticism I have relates to 2 power slides I've had around Turns 11 and 12 on Phillip Island - but that's probably more down to me being ham-fisted with the throttle (I know when the last one happend I was trying to get a run on a guy on a CBR1000RR so I could stay close to him down the front straight...and I know I tried to get as much power down as possible that time).

That said, both times the rear just gave ground in a graceful controlled slide which gave me plenty of notice, and time, to get everything back into line before running out of track...in fact it was so smooth that I hardly lost any time at all :thumb: .

#14 ·
I bought a ZX12 and it came with this shoddy Shinko rear on it, the tyre had three splits running near vertical up the centreline (as if it had run over razor blades) but the cut skewed towards different sides... not knowing the history I really can't be sure but my gut feeling is that the rubber was seperating from the carcass, as you could fit a matchstick in the splits.... horrid... not the kind of tyre I want on a high powered bike.

I heard too about yokohama and shinko, and they've recently been advertising in Aus (Shinko), from the very short time I rode with the shinkos until I replaced with pilots you could feel slides anywhere even though it'd never been to the track (bought it with chicken strips on it and no balling towards the edge) and near new like tread left... not a good tyre at all.

Love the pilot powers on my CBR1000RR.... hell yeah ! Thanks Spanky, now hanging to Feb for the 2ct.

#15 ·
I bought a ZX12 and it came with this shoddy Shinko rear on it, the tyre had three splits running near vertical up the centreline (as if it had run over razor blades) but the cut skewed towards different sides... not knowing the history I really can't be sure but my gut feeling is that the rubber was seperating from the carcass, as you could fit a matchstick in the splits.... horrid... not the kind of tyre I want on a high powered bike.

I heard too about yokohama and shinko, and they've recently been advertising in Aus (Shinko), from the very short time I rode with the shinkos until I replaced with pilots you could feel slides anywhere even though it'd never been to the track (bought it with chicken strips on it and no balling towards the edge) and near new like tread left... not a good tyre at all.

Love the pilot powers on my CBR1000RR.... hell yeah ! Thanks Spanky, now hanging to Feb for the 2ct.
Do you know which Shinko it was?

#21 ·
There are a couple really long threads about the shinko's somewhere if you do a search. For everyday street use I think we determined that they are perfectly acceptable. They have a lot fewer grooves though compared to some other tires which would make me question the performance in the rain. Especially their "dimpled" models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.