Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade » RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 7:17 PM   #1

Reputation Power: 0
teddyinc is on a distinguished road
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Anyone share some perals of wisdom??
I have a 893 rrr and its done 48k bit rattly on idle but still pulls like a train. its in mint condition and i want to know is it a straight forward swap for the vfr swingarm? is it an easy upgrade to put bigger brakes on the front? what benefit is a wavey disc? whats the best mod to derestrict it? i have a race can obviously just to let other motorists know im coming nothing to do with the monster growl from the can!!!
I have a undertray and want to know if their is an led conversion...
Can i take a 1000rr shock and swao it onto this? what are the standard front shocks like?
Do you think i should strip the engine down and give it a once over?
is it me or is the braking a bits poo poo on these? is a 17" tyre conversion easy on these?
whats the widest diameter tyre you can get on the back?
Oh and is it easy to change the dials to digital dials?

Ta very much for any help.........................
teddyinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-08-2007, 7:47 PM   #2
gone green

Reputation Power: 12
jhonda41 has a spectacular aura about jhonda41 has a spectacular aura about
Re: RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Originally Posted by teddyinc View Post
Anyone share some perals of wisdom??
I have a 893 rrr and its done 48k bit rattly on idle but still pulls like a train. its in mint condition and i want to know is it a straight forward swap for the vfr swingarm? is it an easy upgrade to put bigger brakes on the front? what benefit is a wavey disc? whats the best mod to derestrict it? i have a race can obviously just to let other motorists know im coming nothing to do with the monster growl from the can!!!
Can i take a 1000rr shock and swao it onto this? what are the standard front shocks like?
is it me or is the braking a bits poo poo on these? is a 17" tyre conversion easy on these?

Ta very much for any help.........................

to the org

nice bike, i have the same. To answer your questions(IMO): somewhat, I dont think so, better cooling, I dont know, do something else, no, i dont know, its not just you, yes I am doing one as we speak, 190 or else get a cruiser, I have no idea.

I've seen 85% of these questions asked and answered on this board already, some very recently. The search feature is your friend.

-jh

- Cars lean the wrong way in turns.
jhonda41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 7:51 PM   #3

ta i fink....
Old 02-08-2007, 8:06 PM   #4
gone green

Reputation Power: 12
jhonda41 has a spectacular aura about jhonda41 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by teddyinc View Post
ta i fink....

seriously though... alot of these topics have been extensively discussed, and you can find different threads on the same topic with great info.

-jh

- Cars lean the wrong way in turns.
jhonda41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:31 AM   #5

Reputation Power: 10
Sime will become famous soon enough

Well, I have done every one of these mods, so I'll happily chime in.....

One thing to note though, depending on how far you go with mods, it's easy to overcapitalise and spend more money than the bike is worth. You have to really decide why you want to do the mods and if you can justify the cost and time of doing the mods. Plus, you'll be throwing a LOT of money away if you ever decide to sell the bike.

If you want better performance, it might be a more cost effective option to sell your bike as is and with the funds you get, combine that with the money you were going to spend on mods for your 900RR toward a newer bike.

case in point....a 93-95 893cc 900RR is worth between $1500 and $3800. With your miles, you might get between $1800 and 2400 for it. It IS an old bike. If you do the mods you are asking about, you'll be spending about $2500-4000 (or more). Well, $4500-$7800 can get you a REALLY nice, lower mile, newer bike. For $5500-6500, you can get a 2002-2003 954.

Why did I do all my mods to my bike? Well, I bought the bike off my insurance company for $1000! It already had all the performance mods on there. If I wanted to sell it, I would still be able to get back pretty much what I have put into it...so it's not a loss situation for me. But, my bike is so unique, and is as fast (if not faster) than the current generation of sportbikes, plus it's more comfortable. Therefore, I do not want for anything new!

And with that, the answers to your questions follow:

I have a 893 rrr and its done 48k bit rattly on idle but still pulls like a train. its in mint condition and i want to know is it a straight forward swap for the vfr swingarm?

Yes, bolt up. You must use the 94-97 VFR750 swingarm. You need the version with the shock linkage mount under the swingarm – so the 93 is out of the question. You also need a metal spacer 25mmOD x 20mmID x 20mm width. I used a bronze one from www.mcmastercarr.com Use the 900RR rear shock. You can use the VFR750 wheel, but it’s only 5” wide so the max width tyre you can use is a 170 width. But if you want to use a 180/55/17 rear tire, you need to use the 1998-2001 VFR800 rear wheel, but you need to notch the mounting face with an angle grinder to get it to fit over the bolts on the VFR750 hub.

is it an easy upgrade to put bigger brakes on the front?

Sure. Depends on how far you want to go and how much you want to spend. Stock rotors are 290mm. You can get fork spacers to use larger rotors (310mm), but keep the 900RR callipers. You can also upgrade to the 929/954 forks which use 330mm rotors (discs), better calipers and a bigger master cylinder for more braking power. As long as you get the 954 forks with the conventional headstem bearings, the forks are a bolt up job.

what benefit is a wavey disc?

‘Wave’ rotors help with improved braking through lower rotor temps, better cooling, better sweeping/clearing of pad dust. The lower heat creates a reduced chance of warpage too...a common problem with 929RR and 954RR rotors. Stainless braided brake lines are a must as well, irrespective of what size rotor your use.

whats the best mod to derestrict it? i have a race can obviously just to let other motorists know im coming nothing to do with the monster growl from the can!!!

Too big a subject to answer - and it's the costliest part of the mod process. It would not be worth spending too much money on your motor. I hate to say it, but it's an old bike with higher miles.

Also, most bikes are hard to hear when they are approaching - even with a louder can. They are easier to hear when the bike has passed the car, which doesn't help you. And, a louder can does not necessarily equate to more performance. D&D mufflers are obnoxiously loud, but they don't make the highest power - in fact, far from it. Louder cans also **** your hearing too. Although my Two Brothers Racing can makes great power, it is a touch on the loud side. I ALWAYS ride with ear plugs. I am a pilot so my hearing is especially important to me.

Hard to find for a 93-97. easier to find for the 98-99. You can get LED bulbs for your tail light however.

I think you're getting confused between 'shocks' and 'forks'. The 1000RR (rear) shock will not bolt up. The 1000RR forks will bolt up, but they are a little shorter than the 900RR forks. and if you use the 1000RR forks, you will need the radial master cylinder too. 900RR shocks are ok, but they're old technology and you’re limited by the 16” front wheel with ‘old’ tyre choices. Most (incl me) go for the 929/954 front end with the 17" front wheel, and benefit from the extended tyre choices available that come with the 17" front. This the most appopriate mod if you want to upgrade the forks.

Does it need it? Sometimes it’s best to leave something that’s not broken. If it's rattly at idle, it sounds like the cam chain tensioner, which you should fix soon. If you are upgrading internals, then for sure, break apart the motor and refresh everything.

is it me or is the braking a bits poo poo on these?

Stock bits? Yep. They could be better, but it's not just the brakes that help you stop....you also need good tyres to assist with braking.

is a 17" tyre conversion easy on these? Yes, the 1995-1998 CBR600 F3 17” wheel is a direct bolt up for 93-97 900RR’s. The VFR750 17" wheel of similar year range will fit too.

Technically, you can fit a 190, but it is NOT recommended. The widest you should go for is a 180/55/17. Putting on a 190 changes the tyre profile for negative effects. Sportrider.com did an article on this subject and why it was a very bad idea to fit a 190 to a 5.5” rim. Also, the 190 tyre will not fit with the VFR single sided arm. Some will say that a 190 is ok on the 900RR, but they are just using their bike for boulevard cruising. It has no place on a 900RR being used for performance purposes. You seem like you are after performance and handling. If so, DO NOT get a 190.

Yes and no. What year is your bike? If you have a 95-97, then all you need 98-99 900RR gauges, or 2001-2004 F4i gauges, and a custom ‘SpeedoHealer’ (not an off-the-shelf one). Even if you have a 93-94 900RR, it can still easily be done…just a few more parts needed and a bit more money. PM me when you are ready to do this mod. I have the info for you including the wiring diagram.

Cheers!
Simon

Last edited by Sime; 02-09-2007 at 1:54 AM.
Sime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:57 AM   #6

well i know where to come!!! blimey you know your stuff...thanks v much...
Old 02-09-2007, 7:53 PM   #7

Fastrr will become famous soon enough

I second Sime's opinion on the 900RR being a very comfy bike to ride. I'm 6'2" and need that extra leg and arm room. Sime I'm kinda laughing to myself because I may be able to pick up another 900rr for $1,000 too. Just have to come up with the cash.... if i haven't said it before..darn bike theives!
Fastrr is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Search tags for this page
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.com
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtrrrz
trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Click on a term to search for related topics.