Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade » How do you lay a bike down????

Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 3:23 PM   #1

Reputation Power: 0
syntax is on a distinguished road
How do you lay a bike down????

This might be a stupid question, but I've talked to some people who said they had to lay their bike down to avoid a more dangerous outcome, which got me to thinking, how do you lay a bike down? Is there any method to it, or right/wrong way? They don't teach that stuff in the MSF course
syntax is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-02-2007, 3:52 PM   #2

Reputation Power: 10
LITEITUP has a spectacular aura about LITEITUP has a spectacular aura about
Re: How do you lay a bike down????

hmmm, well, most people say "I layed my bike down" in place of saying "I wrecked." I guess if you wanted to "lay" the bike down, slam the rear brake and skid out like you did on your bmx bike when you were a kid.
LITEITUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 4:03 PM   #3
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies

Reputation Power: 13
analogbear will become famous soon enough analogbear will become famous soon enough

How do you lay a bike down? Very carefully; but only while under extreme danger/stress/risk...I have been riding bikes for only a short time compared to some on this site, but I have never been in a situation when/where I should have laid the bike down instead of doing something else...
Old 07-02-2007, 4:03 PM   #4

Reputation Power: 8
zrides is on a distinguished road

Like he said, just hit the rear brake, note of advice when you lay down the bike push yourself away from it before you hit the ground, otherwise you may end up with a peg or worse the whole bike smashing into you. Worse even is getting the peg slammed through your foot or your leg, make sure you pick up some frame sliders, won't protect the bike 100% but will miniumize the damages.
zrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 4:14 PM   #5
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies

Reputation Power: 13
analogbear will become famous soon enough analogbear will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by zrides View Post
, make sure you pick up some frame sliders, won't protect the bike 100% but will miniumize the damages.
I would try picking up a stunt-cage as well...That will ensure the least damage to your bike...Of course, feel free to avoid laying it down entirely, and don't worry about it...
Old 07-02-2007, 11:04 PM   #6

Reputation Power: 15
lanbrown is a jewel in the rough lanbrown is a jewel in the rough lanbrown is a jewel in the rough

make sure you pick up some frame sliders, won't protect the bike 100% but will miniumize the damages.
Or cause more damage if it grabs and flips the bike over.
lanbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:22 PM   #7

Unfortunetly, if your going fast enough to flip the bike off the frame sliders, then the bike is going to be completely totalled no matter what! FULL COVERAGE INSURANCE!! =)
Old 07-02-2007, 11:26 PM   #8

Reputation Power: 26
HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold

Um, having to "lay a bike down" to avoid an accident means you do not know how to use your brakes properly and effectively.
HondaGalToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:50 PM   #9

Reputation Power: 11
f1_hurricane is a jewel in the rough f1_hurricane is a jewel in the rough f1_hurricane is a jewel in the rough

nor do you know how to control the bike nor were you riding with your head out of your ass
f1_hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:05 AM   #10

I just wanted to answer the main question, i mean you should never have to be put in that position, and driving defensively and wisely should make it so you are never in the position, not to mention truth be told, when you lay down your bike, it usually means that you have not time to brake, and unfortunetly you cant in a split second make the decision to even lay down the bike with a procedure, it happens end of story. Just ride safe, becareful, and keep an eye out for cagers!!!
Old 07-03-2007, 12:22 AM   #11
DUX

Reputation Power: 16
DUX is just really nice DUX is just really nice DUX is just really nice DUX is just really nice

I'd rather hit a car under full braking at 5mph than slide under it at 20mph.

DUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 1:05 AM   #12

Sime will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by analogbear View Post
I would try picking up a stunt-cage as well...That will ensure the least damage to your bike....
Putting a stunt cage on the bike will likely do one of two things:

1. due to maintaining a higher centre of gravity, they will make it barrel roll end over end and/or
2. make it slide for longer, increasing its chance of hitting something.... hard

So, yeah, if you want to totally wreck your bike, install a stunt cage! Stunt cages are for exactly that...stunting. They're designed to protect the engine cases and frame from the result of low speed lay overs.
Sime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 1:23 AM   #13

Reputation Power: 16
dicknose is a splendid one to behold dicknose is a splendid one to behold dicknose is a splendid one to behold dicknose is a splendid one to behold dicknose is a splendid one to behold dicknose is a splendid one to behold dicknose is a splendid one to behold

I just wanted to answer the main question, i mean you should never have to be put in that position, and driving defensively and wisely should make it so you are never in the position, not to mention truth be told, when you lay down your bike, it usually means that you have not time to brake, and unfortunetly you cant in a split second make the decision to even lay down the bike with a procedure, it happens end of story. Just ride safe, becareful, and keep an eye out for cagers!!!
Clearly you dont want to be in that situation - but a better question is
"when should you lay it down"
Answer - never.

I cant think of a situation where laying the bike down is better than staying upright on the bike.
Upright - you can still brake and possibly steer. The bike itself will absorb some of the impact (bent front forks is better than bent legs)
Down - sliding doesnt stop you as quick as braking and you can get tangled in the bike and/or hit stuff on the ground.

Maybe if someone has put a garrote wire across the road (ala Stone) then it would be a good idea. Otherwise - keep it up even if it means hitting something. Id rather hit it going slower and on the bike than hit it (and the bike) on the ground.
dicknose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 1:49 AM   #14

Reputation Power: 11
f1_hurricane is a jewel in the rough f1_hurricane is a jewel in the rough f1_hurricane is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Sime View Post
Putting a stunt cage on the bike will likely do one of two things:

1. due to maintaining a higher centre of gravity, they will make it barrel roll end over end and/or
2. make it slide for longer, increasing its chance of hitting something.... hard

So, yeah, if you want to totally wreck your bike, install a stunt cage! Stunt cages are for exactly that...stunting. They're designed to protect the engine cases and frame from the result of low speed lay overs.
Sarcasm is a new thing to you isnt it
f1_hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 9:19 AM   #15

Sime will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by f1_hurricane View Post
Sarcasm is a new thing to you isnt it
Well, that's a hypocritical response if I ever saw one before!

Brad, In the interests of keeping things civil, regardless of your actual intent, I will treat that comment of yours as a joke mate....

Besides, I'm just telling it as it is. Analogbear happened to give some info which wasn't correct, and I felt it prudent to respond with some facts.
Sime is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Search tags for this page

how to lay a bike down

how to lay down a bike
how to lay down a motorcycle
how to properly lay down a motorcycle

lay bike down

laying a bike down

what does it mean to lay a bike down

what does it mean to lay down a bike

what does it mean to lay down a motorcycle
what does laying down a motorcycle mean
what does putting your bike down mean
whats does laid down mean in a motorcycle
Click on a term to search for related topics.